nodonnell

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E California Route AWD
Country flag
Does the Mach E have a max on the charging amps it can take from a charger example, a 32A gets you 25 mile range per hour, a 40A gets you 30 mile range per hour and a 48A gets you 36 mile range per hour, So if there is a max of 40A on the Mach E why would I buy a more expensive 48A So is there a max of amps the Mach E can take on a level 2 home charger?
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does the Mach E have a max on the charging amps it can take from a charger example, a 32A gets you 25 mile range per hour, a 40A gets you 30 mile range per hour and a 48A gets you 36 mile range per hour, So if there is a max of 40A on the Mach E why would I buy a more expensive 48A So is there a max of amps the Mach E can take on a level 2 home charger?
The max is 48 amps

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anything over 48amp on level 2 charge is a waste. Mach e max is 11 kWh which is right around 48 amp is 10.97 kWh

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yup, 48A is the max for Level 2 which gets you about 30-32 mi/hr range (not 36 mi/hr).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Charging at a specific level, say 48amps, doesn't get you a fixed amount of miles per hour of charging, because how far you can go per kWh is determined by your driving style, temperature, etc.

48amps x 240 volts ≈ 11.5kWh from the wall. Assuming a 10% loss to the car, that's ≈ 10.35kWh. If you get 3 miles per kWh, that's 31 miles. If temps drop to 20 degrees and you get 2.3 miles per kWh, that's 23.8 miles.

If you drive local only, in warm climates, and get 4.0 miles per kWh, that's 41.4 miles per kWh.

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I wouldn’t think of refueling in miles, but in power (kW), or Amps x Volts. The Mach E can definitely accept 48A.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
You all get so righteous and nitpicky about the weirdest things. Miles is a nice rule of thumb that you can use for charging rates... yes, it's not exact but close enough. I don't often think about my trips in terms of how many kWh is it from Sac > SF.

And a reason you may consider a higher capacity wall charger is future-proofing for another vehicle that can accept a higher charge rate.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You all get so righteous and nitpicky about the weirdest things. Miles is a nice rule of thumb that you can use for charging rates... yes, it's not exact but close enough. I don't often think about my trips in terms of how many kWh is it from Sac > SF.

And a reason you may consider a higher capacity wall charger is future-proofing for another vehicle that can accept a higher charge rate.
Actually, you don't need to think anything but miles, because you live in California, where you don't have winter.

My 91kWh battery can go about 270 miles in summer highway driving. In the winter, it can go about 180 or so. That's using the exact same 91kWh.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Actually, you don't need to think anything but miles, because you live in California, where you don't have winter.

My 91kWh battery can go about 270 miles in summer highway driving. In the winter, it can go about 180 or so. That's using the exact same 91kWh.
We do hit freezing up here in NorCal... 5 nights a year. Thankfully I can do the math in my head and know that my 280 miles will only get me 150 miles on the cold days.

But I don't ever want to deal with 3.1 x 91 vs 1.8 x 91 as I'm thinking about driving up to Tahoe. Too much brain damage. I charge up and know that I'm going to get about half my rated mileage, then get in the car and let it tell me where to stop to charge again.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
But the problem with using miles is that it's not constant. If you charge at 11 kW and that gets you 36 miles an hour in the summer, it'll only get you 18 miles when it's freezing. You can't think that you'll always get 36 miles an hour when you charge at 11 kW.

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
On a related note, does L2 home charging follow a charge curve similar to L3 where the rate drops off at higher SOC? Or does the lower kWh mean that L2 stays fairly constant up to 100%?
Thanks, I will soon be new to the EV world.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Charging at a specific level, say 48amps, doesn't get you a fixed amount of miles per hour of charging, because how far you can go per kWh is determined by your driving style, temperature, etc.

48amps x 240 volts ≈ 11.5kWh from the wall. Assuming a 10% loss to the car, that's ≈ 10.35kWh. If you get 3 miles per kWh, that's 31 miles. If temps drop to 20 degrees and you get 2.3 miles per kWh, that's 23.8 miles.

If you drive local only, in warm climates, and get 4.0 miles per kWh, that's 41.4 miles per kWh.
4.0 m/kWh? I want whatever you’re smoking 😀

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
On a related note, does L2 home charging follow a charge curve similar to L3 where the rate drops off at higher SOC? Or does the lower kWh mean that L2 stays fairly constant up to 100%?
Thanks, I will soon be new to the EV world.
There's essentially no curve at L2 rates.
Sponsored