DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Yeah, I think the MP1 and MP2 stuff set some faulty assumptions. Probably best just to throw those out, as it seems to conflict with what @trutolife27 more recently told us about multiple trims being built together, as well as customer units and FCTP units.
No conflict. Ford needs MP1 to consist of a mix of trims and options to do a good job on the QC review. FTCP vehicles provide that since FTCP is a conceptual category of vehicles with different trims and options. The only reason to have a regular retail customer vehicle in MP1 is if there weren't enough FCTP or captive customer orders for the QC review, and that definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

I think in MP1 you're looking for a Goldilocks number. Enough to catch problems but not so many that, if there are problems, you have to fix a lot of vehicles.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
MP1 (aka Job 1) is the first production run. That is followed by a detailed QC review and the OKTB decision. MP2 (aka Job 2) is the second production run which starts after the detailed QC review and the OKTB decision.

I very much doubt that a regular customer vehicle has come off the line. There are customers and then there are customers. ;) That's not a bad thing unless you want to be something of a guinea pig.
It makes sense to me for OKTB to fall between MP1 and MP2 as you suggest. That would do two things:
1) Allow FCTP vehicles to ship out sooner
2) Allow the production lines to run ahead, knowing the "product" has been approved.

However, we have information from @trutolife27 that OKTB is 23 November and is known to be after FCTP and FE production are scheduled to have completed:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...engineering-friends-in-mexico.1100/post-40571
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ing-friends-in-mexico.1100/page-11#post-27685
OKTB will then unleash a flood of Mach Es onto trains like a dam breaking (OK, a bit more organized as we want the Mach Es intact!).

I'm only working off what we hear from inside sources. If you have information that OKTB will be issued between MP1 and MP2, please let us know.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It makes sense to me for OKTB to fall between MP1 and MP2 as you suggest. That would do two things:
1) Allow FCTP vehicles to ship out sooner
2) Allow the production lines to run ahead, knowing the "product" has been approved.

However, we have information from @trutolife27 that OKTB is 23 November and is known to be after FCTP and FE production are scheduled to have completed:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...engineering-friends-in-mexico.1100/post-40571
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ing-friends-in-mexico.1100/page-11#post-27685
OKTB will then unleash a flood of Mach Es onto trains like a dam breaking (OK, a bit more organized as we want the Mach Es intact!).

I'm only working off what we hear from inside sources. If you have information that OKTB will be issued between MP1 and MP2, please let us know.
Oh yes, this post as well:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...engineering-friends-in-mexico.1100/post-34666

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
All I know is how it usually works. First MP1, then production halts momentarily for OKTB, after which MP2 starts. Usually a month between the start of MP1 and MP2. This is actually consistent with what we think we know, which is that dealer demos will be built in MP1 starting in late September and ship out first (my dealer thinks it will arrive middle of November). FEs will be built in MP2 starting late October and will ship out second in late November along with any other vehicles made early in MP2.

Not all the information is consistent. Not sure what to make of an OKTB date of late November if dealers expect demos in mid-November. My guess is when he refers to the "OKTB 'date'" he means there is a late November OKTB relating to retail orders in MP2 and not the FCPTs in MP1, which would come after another OKTB date. To some extent it doesn't matter for retail customers since retail orders will be shipping starting in late November with deliveries either in December or January.

OP
OP
MailGuy

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Does anyone have an idea on how long a given car spends on the line in production start to finish before it exits on "build date?" When we toured the Rouge Factory last year, couldn't get a straight answer for the F-150. Curious if there's any data for MME.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Does anyone have an idea on how long a given car spends on the line in production start to finish before it exits on "build date?" When we toured the Rouge Factory last year, couldn't get a straight answer for the F-150. Curious if there's any data for MME.
Unsure.
Your Mini Cooper took about 24 hours start to finish.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033zfvw

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
It depends on how one defines production - most of the components like frame, doors, engines are all done separately - so when one thinks of car productions its mainly the assembly line - the line that puts all the parts together and finishes up and tests the final car - that assembly line should be short - counted in days. Overall start to finish is a different story. Just my speculation

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We also know that body, paint, and battery production lines the week prior to the final assembly production line. Yes. It depends on how you define it.

OP
OP
MailGuy

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We also know that body, paint, and battery production lines the week prior to the final assembly production line. Yes. It depends on how you define it.
Yep, totally understand all the points about staging various parts. I was more interested in what Ford thinks the time is for the MME as they build their schedules and interleave FE’s. If, hypothetically, one knew their targeted build date, I’m wondering how that fits in the dates suggested on this and other threads and actual start dates. I assume those are all based on build dates. I also wonder how/when it might be represented on the ordering website. They do have a production stage afterall. Of course this is all up to interpretation, but what else do we have to do while we wait.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
If I remember correctly (and that’s a leap of faith), I read here that when the Mach-E assembly line was up to speed --- the plan was to operate 4 days a week with 2 shifts of approximately 10 hours each or run about 80 hours a week.

So, to finish 1,500 vehicles per week --- that rate would be about 18 per hour or about 1 every 3 to 4 minutes.

OP
OP
MailGuy

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those running calculations I will add some color.

FE Web Reservation/Order #:

Dealer Order #:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The process for vehicle assembly is massive.

You have your stamping department making the main body parts needed.

Then you have your body shop assembly. Which has a mainline to it and sub-assembly within.
Bodyshop line starts in the floorplan and underbody assembly line. Cowdash, cross members, and other parts are made beside the main underbody line and feed into the line to make the underbody.

The underbody line goes to the bodyside assembly. Bodyside assembly has an outer assembly, an inner assembly, and an X-ray assembly where both parts are put together. Once the bodysides are built they are put onto the underbody and then the unit moves into the GEO station. Where all the Geo rivets and welds are done.

Then the unit moves down the frame line getting all the proper rivets welds done. During this process, the roof will be put on and finished. The final area in body will have a door line, hood and fender line, and finally, a customer check line before moving on to the stackers.

The stackers are empty racks that have different levels that hold hundreds of Bodyshop finished shells. That is a float in case Bodyshop has an issue. Paint can still pull units from the stacker to keep the line going.

You have, chassis line, frame line, engine line. door line, tire room. All of these areas have their own builds and floats. They stay ahead in case they break down, so as not to affect the line speed of the mainline they feed into.

The trim line feeds to the mainline where the unit is decked. Right now Kentucky Truck plant runs about 90 to 92 jobs an hour. 10 to 11 hours a shift and has 3 crews.

I posted these before but here are so good videos about the process. No matter what vehicle manufacture it is. It pretty much is the same at each place. The truck plant here is massive.
The 4,626,490-square-foot (429,815 m2) plant on 500 acres (2.0 km2) currently employs 9,200 people total.

Last edited:

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The process for vehicle assembly is massive.
Agree. If you ever have an opportunity to tour an auto assembly plant - do it! It’s truly an amazing experience to see the process.

OP
OP
MailGuy

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree. If you ever have an opportunity to tour an auto assembly plant - do it! It’s truly an amazing experience to see the process.
Yes, I have been to Rouge F-150 line. It is an impressive process. But something has to trigger a particular build “entering” the line to predict when it will “exit”. Given Ford is publishing production on the website, trying to understand (Guess)how they will align. Still hoping my order changes stages in the next 3-4 weeks.
Sponsored