MME rear-ended - body shop questions

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
Unfortunately, the Mach-E was rear-ended yesterday when my wife was driving back home. Fortunately, she is okay. The car sustained some damage to the bumper, scratches along the hatch and rear area, and whatever that plastic panel underneath the car also bent. Originally, I was going to take the vehicle to the body shop associated with the Ford dealer near me that I would normally take the vehicle for service. However, on yelp and Google, the ratings are not that great. I would like to take the vehicle to another body shop which gets good reviews - Sterling McCall in Houston and they have a Ford dealership. The body shop (though) is for all brands. Anyone see any issue with me taking the vehicle (drivable) over to this SM location rather than the Russell & Smith Ford body shop?

72220222507__92B3876E-E09B-4B31-A046-9C8EDEDA456F.jpeg

IMG_7979.jpeg

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sorry this happened and happy your wife seems to be OK. Not sure about Texas, but in CA the insurance companies are required to let you take your vehicle to the shop of your choice. That doesn’t mean the shop can ream the insurance company. It means you can get the workmanship and service you prefer and pay for anything over the costs that the insurance company deems proper for the damage. 😊🐩

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I forgot to mention that if your state allows this, you should also pursue a Diminished Value claim since the accident will now be on your car’s record and the mark on the car’s record diminishes its resale value. 😕🐩

su-ch+mache

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford-suv-freunde.com
Vehicles
Escape MY17, Puma MY20, Mach E MY22 AWD ER TP2
Occupation
retired buyer
Country flag
doesn't an appraiser calculate the costs and the insurance company has to cover those costs? Otherwise any insurance can claim the costs are too high and therefore not juistified?

@Kachook I'm sorry to hear what happened, but luckily your wife is fine and the damage to the car can be repaired.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Contact your insurance company, they will have recommended shops. May even provide lifetime warranty for some.

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I had my MME repaired by an independent all brand body shop with good reviews found in the insurance network. They are certified by tesla though. The shop outsourced the sensor calibration stuff to nearby Ford dealer. What you need to watch for in the repair is panel gaps and paint finish quality. These has nothing to do with being electric car or not. More about the workmanship and attention to details. Your damage seems very minor. Probably just replacement bumper and repaint. I also prefer to find shops in the insurance network because they have pre-negotiated rates for repair. You will not run into cost estimate conflicts. Makes the process easier and smoother.

OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you, all, for your responses. Outside of cost, I also am concerned because it is an electric vehicle from Ford that maybe I should stick with the Ford dealer body shop. But it looks like certain folks have had repairs done through independent body shops with good success.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I would research the bodyshops that get good customer and independent reviews. Another idea is to get recommendations from stores that sell very expensive cars like Porsche or Maserati. They will have the pickiest and most unforgiving customers.

It sucks, but you have Ford Options and can offload the car then if you end up not liking it.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
That looks like 25k worth of damage. Why? because it's an EV and Post Covid.

OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, State Farm is not calling us back yet with an authorization. Ironically, we have State Farm and when I spoke with a rep last Wednesday she said I could take it in and make a claim on my policy. I asked her why the hell would I do that? It was a three car accident and the first car had SF. I may now make a claim against the policy of the vehicle that actually struck our car.
Sponsored