Mobile Charger "overheating" in 30 degree weather

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Anyone else have this problem?

I use the mobile charger that came with the car as my home EVSE. This summer when it was hot as hades, my mobile charger was constantly reading an amber and a flashing blue, which the manual says means that it's reducing current due to overheating. I even installed an extra fan in the garage to make the air flow.

Well, now it's winter and it's currently around 30 degrees when I charge each night. My amber light comes on nearly every night, slowing charging to a crawl.

I'm thinking I just have a busted mobile charger, but I'm curious if other people are having this experience also.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Anyone else have this problem?

I use the mobile charger that came with the car as my home EVSE. This summer when it was hot as hades, my mobile charger was constantly reading an amber and a flashing blue, which the manual says means that it's reducing current due to overheating. I even installed an extra fan in the garage to make the air flow.

Well, now it's winter and it's currently around 30 degrees when I charge each night. My amber light comes on nearly every night, slowing charging to a crawl.

I'm thinking I just have a busted mobile charger, but I'm curious if other people are having this experience also.
Yes, there have been other reports like yours:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/search/846375/?q=Amber+charger&o=date

If you have an infrared thermometer, what temperature readings have you seen when this happens?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
See if the dealer will replace it under warranty. Then keep it in the storage space and get a non mobile EVSE for your garage.

The summer temps likely affected the units durability.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Same here, the orange led is blinking sometimes but it charges fine and fast. The charger is not even warm to touch. it might be a software bug in the charger unit. I disconnected mine from the 14-50 and I reattached the supply cable and I did not see it after that but it might come back.

20220116_142737_compress25.jpg

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, there have been other reports like yours:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/search/846375/?q=Amber+charger&o=date

If you have an infrared thermometer, what temperature readings have you seen when this happens?
I didn’t bother because it is cool to the touch even though it’s showing amber.
Also, it’s 30 degrees here. It’s definitely not hot.
See if the dealer will replace it under warranty. Then keep it in the storage space and get a non mobile EVSE for your garage.

The summer temps likely affected the units durability.
Of course, if I only use it for the rare mobile charging, I’d never know it was defective.
Same here, the orange led is blinking sometimes but it charges fine and fast. The charger is not even warm to touch. it might be a software bug in the charger unit. I disconnected mine from the 14-50 and I reattached the supply cable and I did not see it after that but it might come back.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mobile Charger "overheating" in 30 degree weather 20220116_142737_compress25
Yeah, that’s my situation. I’ve unplugged it several times and the amber always comes back.

cdiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I don't know if the Ford portable charger does this, but some portable chargers monitor the temperature of the wall plug. Is that getting hot? If it is, you should probably get an electrician out to check or replace the outlet. The wires might be loose or the outlet might be worn out.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Mine has never been unplugged but I have reset it from the breaker a couple times. It seems to be happy now that my Garage temp has cooled down!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This will be a good thread to reference when new threads pop up asking why anyone would waste their money buying an EVSE wall unit.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This will be a good thread to reference when new threads pop up asking why anyone would waste their money buying an EVSE wall unit.
And I hate to say it because I still intend only to use the mobile evse. When functioning, having a second evse is just redundant.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
And I hate to say it because I still intend only to use the mobile evse. When functioning, having a second evse is just redundant.
When functioning. But I just don't think that any mobile EVSE is going to have the same duty cycles as a contactor type unit.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
I don't know if the Ford portable charger does this, but some portable chargers monitor the temperature of the wall plug. Is that getting hot? If it is, you should probably get an electrician out to check or replace the outlet. The wires might be loose or the outlet might be worn out.
I think you're on to something here. Make sure you have the correct wiring and replace the outlet with an industrial 14-50 outlet, like a Bryant 9450FR.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you're on to something here. Make sure you have the correct wiring and replace the outlet with an industrial 14-50 outlet, like a Bryant 9450FR.
I hired a professional electrician to run the wire and install a 14-50 outlet. If anything, I'll have them come and review their work.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Did anyone happen to find any solutions on this? I know it's an old article. I got my car December 17th. Really didn't start driving it till January 1st. Never need the mobile charger I had to charge point I put in from my wife's aviator in 2020 thinking it would help speed up her charge but being a hybrid It only takes a slow charge as I guess they think who cares. It's got a gas motor behind it. Only will pull 14 amps no matter what. Funny how I hooked up this mobile charger for the first time a week ago at my sister-in-law's. So when I babysit I can get some charge and outlets four feet away from the breaker panel. I got six gauge on the outlet. I know overkill but I can use scrap wire from work so I'm also electrician. So the wiring's all good. So it seems like it's a defect with the charger. Has anyone had any luck getting it replaced at the dealer or through Ford directly? Sorry if it's botched I'm doing voice to text

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Did anyone happen to find any solutions on this? I know it's an old article. I got my car December 17th. Really didn't start driving it till January 1st. Never need the mobile charger I had to charge point I put in from my wife's aviator in 2020 thinking it would help speed up her charge but being a hybrid It only takes a slow charge as I guess they think who cares. It's got a gas motor behind it. Only will pull 14 amps no matter what. Funny how I hooked up this mobile charger for the first time a week ago at my sister-in-law's. So when I babysit I can get some charge and outlets four feet away from the breaker panel. I got six gauge on the outlet. I know overkill but I can use scrap wire from work so I'm also electrician. So the wiring's all good. So it seems like it's a defect with the charger. Has anyone had any luck getting it replaced at the dealer or through Ford directly? Sorry if it's botched I'm doing voice to text
What are the lights on the charger telling you? Amber with blue means it thinks it’s overheating. Make sure the power cord is firmly seated in the unit - this is a known issue.
The charger is supplied with the car, so warranty will have to be handled by the dealer, not Ford directly.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
Overheating and yep plugged unplugged verified that's in there correctly. Always does it about three to four minutes after starting
Sponsored