Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if their wind tunnel tests addressed the possibility of the massive amounts of air the third row will get when the roof blows off.

Wait, what am I saying. Tesla doesn't do quality control. Nevermind.
Sponsored

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The MY claims to have sliding rear seats and some "easy entry" for the 3rd row seats. Maybe just for Cirque du Soleil members though ? Super curious to see what that consists of.

One thing to note, the 2nd row of the Model Y is narrower than the Mach E or ID4, and other similar sized vehicles. Not sure how comfortable 3 will be on that row. The aerodynamic shape of the passenger area tapers down at the back which is quite visible from viewing the back of the vehicle.

Nissan stopped selling the 3 row Rogue in the US, since I gather it wasn't popular. The rear seats are like cushions off the floor, and that vehicle has a higher roofline at the back.

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
Electrek: Tesla launches Model Y with Standard Range RWD and 7-seat third-row option.
https://electrek.co/2021/01/07/tesla-model-y-standard-range-rwd-third-row-option/

Gotta say it's definitely compelling with the lower price and 7 seat option finally out ... Especially with the Texas EV rebate no longer applicable for Mach E since we missed the deadline.
I do not understand how you can fit 7 people in the MY when you can barely fit the same in the Model X. I test drove both Model S and X, and the last row seats were fit for kids under 7.

I look at EV today as regular ICE cars of today. There is one for every taste and price point. I for one like everything MME offers me. Yes, I want more at lower pricing, but I think as a whole it meets my needs.

2021 and forward is definitely looking like the EV transition forecasted by so many experts!

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
...But at least those chargers work and provide the promised charging rates ?.
The internet and tesla forums are full of supercharging issues. You haven;t done any research it seems. Cannot charge, broken charger, super slow charging, overcrowded charging. All problems do exist for Tesla superchargers also. Here is just a quick one.
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/169314/tesla-charger-not-charging

Or this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ow-when-superchargers-are-not-working.154290/

Or this: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/superchargers-super-slow.81432/

Or this one: https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/81402/slow-supercharger-speeds
" Last Saturday I arrived at an empty supercharger with 9% SoC. I had been driving for 3 hours so the battery was warmed up. It was 65 degrees outside. I tried numerous stalls at the supercharger but was unable to top 87kW. "

So perhaps you should do a bit of research before making such assertions? Tesla supercharging network is not as "super" as claimed.

Last edited:

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I just can't even IMAGINE how you fit a 3rd row in that car. I don't know if even very limber kids could get back there. The price though for the SR, looks like Tesla is running from the Mach E, and throwing down the gauntlet.
Exactly! It may be worse than putting two kids in the trunk in lying position: )
The only way it might have fitted is some rear facing seats for kids. But what kind of parents will put their kids in the rear crumple zone? The loss in case of being rear ended at a high speed is too high.
Tesla used to sell a 7-seat Model S with reinforced trunk many years back. It wasn't popular and was abandoned soon.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
...But at least those chargers work and provide the promised charging rates ?. Based on the reviews so far for charging with the Mach E, it sounds considerably slower ... and with more EV manufacturers creating additional offerings it may not be that much longer before we start seeing those same wait times for non Tesla chargers as well.

Slow or non functional charging + increasing demand = red flags

And I definitely agree that those 2 back seats in the MY will probably be super tiny and more for children like the Model S seats. Trying to see when Tesla will have some available for a test drive with our local Tesla store. There have been some photos of the seats folded down but not much else. I assume we'll see more in 6 weeks once deliveries are made for folks ordering the 7 seaters now.
I think we need to realize just how much charging is done in other location than our homes. I live in a development that has charging outlets installed in our garages. Of all of the current Tesla and other EV owners I know vey few, (if any), rely on an external charging station. The majority of people I know are using their EV’s as commuter cars and grocery getters. I suspect that this will be the case going forward.

saurez7777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Red
Country flag
Decision time because of the SR MY. I have ordered MACH E Premium with extended range.

With a cheaper price and charging network I am more inclined to MY now.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Seems to me that people are reading too much into TFL's charging experience. Sure, that is a data point. But so is Tom's experience and the sample size is still too small and evolving to draw any conclusion.

Yes, I did check the EA map and I didn't see any gaps.
We don't need a million chargers as mostly charging is at home. We just need chargers at the connection points on the highways. So comparing the number of chargers is really meaningless. What you should check is if you have got chargers on the usual or potential routes you use for road trips. Recent cannonball victory by Taycan using non-Tesla chargers shows that it isn't a concern really.

I posted in the other thread about plug & charge of Mach-e. It is pretty fast and meets Ford's claims, even in this winter weather. Here I quote myself again if some people missed it.

I think we shouldn't read too much into this from only TFL's experience.. In the video I posted in the other thread, Tom Molougney of IEV saw 92-100 KW between 43% to 70%.

Summary:
Only took 27 secs from plugging in to connect, process payment and initiate charging! Didn't even need to get inside the car to check the status.
43% SOC : 150 kW for 2 mins
Then drops to 90-100 kW from 43% to 60%
60-70% : 92 kW
At 80%: 74 KW, then a fast drop to 12 kW, presumably due to Ford-EA deal.

So 43% to 80% in 22 mins for the larger battery.
Ford promises 10% to 80% in 45 mins for the 98.8 kWh battery. So it is inline with that.
---

It isn't Taycan-like, but it is pretty good and perhaps better than many Tesla superchargers, especially when sharing charging stalls.

Tom's experience is way better than TFL's experience about charging on EA. The recent canon ball record by Taycan also shows that the EA charging network is working quite well and perhaps will improve much faster now that we have got Taycan, ID4 and Mach-E using the high power stations.

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
With Fed incentive and x-plan, Mach-E premium ER RWD is still cheaper.

Mach-E ER RWD infinity blue $53500, X-Plan $52835 (CA), then $7500 tax rebate and $2500 Ford Options Incentive (CA), making it final to $42835.

MY SR RWD $41990 + blue color $1000 + white interior $1000 + Delivery $1200 = $45190

So $42835 vs $45190, Mach-E is still cheaper and you also get 300miles vs 244miles along with better build quality.

(Though that laggy sync4 is a big bummer to me)

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I wish Tesla would game the system more. In Quebec you get the state incentive only if the MSRP is under 60k (which the MME is). Doesn’t matter if you put 20k in option after as long as the MSRP is under that amount. If the model Y standard range would let me put as an option the AWD and the bigger battery I would probably have a harder time deciding. For now I’ll stick with the cheapest option!
You guys are lucky! In BC is 55K, so the MME premium disqualify.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
With Fed incentive and x-plan, Mach-E premium ER RWD is still cheaper.

Mach-E ER RWD infinity blue $53500, X-Plan $52835 (CA), then $7500 tax rebate and $2500 Ford Options Incentive (CA), making it final to $42835.

MY SR RWD $41990 + blue color $1000 + white interior $1000 + Delivery $1200 = $45190

So $42835 vs $45190, Mach-E is still cheaper and you also get 300miles vs 244miles along with better build quality.
You need to be a little careful here with this analysis, because the customers Tesla is targeting here with the price drop are the price sensitive folks, who might not actually qualify for the full $7500 credit, and they might not be willing to pay for the color upgrades.
I'm not arguing your arithmetic is wrong, but I am arguing that it might not be as relevant.

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
We'll see some cancellation in Canada for sure, the standard range is very competitive, just like model 3 couple years ago.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Just look at a map. There's no comparison - the Tesla network is better, can get to WV, MT, SD, WY, etc. with it, just to name a few states that lack a single high power CCS station.
I checked the EA map as I haven't followed the developments for a while (pandemic). While what you say is true, it highly depends on the routes someone travels. I have lived in California for over 30 years and haven't driven farther than AZ. So it seems to me that the EA network already is adequate to cover 99% of long road trips.

I'm in CA, so I will speak from my view point. The biggest gap I see for any reasonable Californian is from Needles to Flagstaff, if he is say visiting Grand Canyon. That is 210 miles. Assuming summer/mild weather, that's easy in a long range Mach-e. And two stations at Kingman and Williams are coming soon to make the gap even smaller to just 115 miles.
I could even drive all the way to Yellowstone national park if I waned to. A few people I know made such summer road trips. (But some also had an RV, so this may be also an outlier case.)

I am also not sure @TFLtommy 's suggestion to stick to the SR makes sense for road trippers. The bigger battery also gives faster charging speeds on long trips and will end up with a more usable range after a few years. So the resale value could be higher as well. But with people having a second car or who rarely take road trips, SR could be the best fit..

Ford Mustang Mach-E Model Y with STD range and 7 seaters is finally out EA_map.JPG

Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
The availability of fast charging is still a bit dependent on where you are talking about. California is pretty well setup and EA is focusing a lot of attention there. Living in Colorado, it looks adequate for trips west, south, and east. But there is nothing really in Wyoming, the Dakotas, etc. Not really a problem for me, but could be a consideration for others.

But things are also changing rapidly. I think the CCS networks are going to quickly become an advantage and outnumber Tesla within a year or two -- especially if President Biden can follow through on his initiative for EV charging.
Sponsored