TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Currently most other manufacturers charge for their "connected services" but generally offer a free intro period for new purchases. I have 3 years free for "MyHyundai" which lets me remotely lock/unlock/start. I'd imagine Ford adopts a similar option for the Mach-E.
I'm hoping that paradigm starts to shift as more and more basic functionality uses internet connectivity. It used to be just for extra luxuries, but in these EVs especially it's more ubiquitous.
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I'm hoping that paradigm starts to shift as more and more basic functionality uses internet connectivity. It used to be just for extra luxuries, but in these EVs especially it's more ubiquitous.
I agree - I'd assume basic functions are free (lock/unlock/pre-condition/check charging/etc). They could then adopt Tesla's model for "premium" features requiring a subscription (streaming music/etc). And if you wanted to use the premium features without the subscription, you should be able to hotspot from your phone and have those features available for free via Wifi.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
And if you wanted to use the premium features without the subscription, you should be able to hotspot from your phone and have those features available for free via Wifi.
Someone's still got to pay for the service. Routing SiriusXM through your phone's modem instead of the vehicle's modem wouldn't change the fact that Sirius demands revenues for its services. Maybe you get it in exchange for personal information and advertising in this case? I don't know.

Same for vehicle data such as live traffic. The providers of this data would like something in exchange for it, regardless of how you route the data to the car.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Someone's still got to pay for the service. Routing SiriusXM through your phone's modem instead of the vehicle's modem wouldn't change the fact that Sirius demands revenues for its services. Maybe you get it in exchange for personal information and advertising in this case? I don't know.

Same for vehicle data such as live traffic. The providers of this data would like something in exchange for it, regardless of how you route the data to the car.
SiriusXM still requires a subscription whether you get it via antenna or stream it over the internet. But there are free music services like Pandora and Spotify that only require internet service.

Not that I'm expecting full internet service to be free in the Mach-e. I'm fine having it use the data from my phone since I'm already paying for that. It's the connected car services that I think should be included with no charge (i.e. controlling and monitoring the car).

Google Maps has live traffic for free. Hoping they can just use that.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
SiriusXM still requires a subscription whether you get it via antenna or stream it over the internet. But there are free music services like Pandora and Spotify that only require internet service.
If you are okay with the free versions of Pandora and Spotify, you're in luck. You can Bluetooth them to the vehicle, or access them via Android Auto. (Pandora also works with Ford's AppLink, so... lots of options.) They probably also work with Apple CarPlay but I've never tried it.

Google Maps has live traffic for free. Hoping they can just use that.
Through Android Auto, sure. Through Ford's navigation, probably not. Ford would have to license/pay for access to Google's navigation data, and develop or integrate a way to consume that data into Ford's nav service.

Google provides trip routing information to you via its end-user application (Google Maps) under the terms you and Google agreed to between each other... But they don't freely extend that out to 3rd party application providers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are okay with the free versions of Pandora and Spotify, you're in luck. You can Bluetooth them to the vehicle, or access them via Android Auto. (Pandora also works with Ford's AppLink, so... lots of options.) They probably also work with Apple CarPlay but I've never tried it.

Through Android Auto, sure. Through Ford's navigation, probably not. Ford would have to license/pay for access to Google's navigation data, and develop or integrate a way to consume that data into Ford's nav service.

Google provides trip routing information to you via its end-user application (Google Maps) under the terms you and Google agreed to between each other... But they don't freely extend that out to 3rd party application providers.
Yeah, after I wrote that I realized I should have said it better. I meant that since live traffic is free on places like Google Maps, I would think it would be ubiquitous enough to just be part of whatever traffic mapping Ford is already including with the $60k price tag.

And while opening a music streaming service on your phone and casting it to the car speaker via bluetooth is possible, it's far from convenient when there's an Adroid screen built right into the car that can run it directly.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
And while opening a music streaming service on your phone and casting it to the car speaker via bluetooth is possible, it's far from convenient when there's an Adroid screen built right into the car that can run it directly.
When I get in my car, my phone reconnects to the car and the podcast player resumes from where I've left off. No cables... I just start the vehicle and the rest happens automatically.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
When I get in my car, my phone reconnects to the car and the podcast player resumes from where I've left off. No cables... I just start the vehicle and the rest happens automatically.
We'll also be getting wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay with the Mach-E, which would allow easy control for media without having to plug in.

That being said - with such an advanced infotainment system, and their major competitor in this market offering it, I'd love direct integration with larger streaming services/etc, but won't be bummed too much if it isn't present.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But if you want to change "channels" or streams or anything else (other than volume), you need to do it on the phone, right?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
But if you want to change "channels" or streams or anything else (other than volume), you need to do it on the phone, right?
I mostly listen to podcasts. The app I use is highly configurable so I've got it to where I just use a few buttons while driving:

• Louder/softer: Volume up, down on the steering wheel (or at center console)
  • Pause/resume: Radio on/off button on the center console
  • Skip back 10 seconds: seek left pad on steering wheel (or at center console)
  • Skip forward 30 seconds: seek right pad on steering wheel (or at center console)
So what I'm missing is an option to skip past (and delete) the current episode and move to the next one. I want that when I realize it's a rebroadcast or I'm just not interested in the discussion. I have to go to the phone to do that. Or I hit the seek forward button a bunch of times.

This is a limitation of Bluetooth. I'm hoping that with my next car, I'll be able to do this via voice or maybe on the touch screen. I've used services like Pandora via Android Auto on other people's cars, but haven't tried podcast playback in that situation yet.

Ford announced that they'll have their own podcast app integrated with SYNC 4a, but I don't expect I'll prefer it to my current app (Podcast Addict).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I mostly listen to podcasts. The app I use is highly configurable so I've got it to where I just use a few buttons while driving:

• Louder/softer: Volume up, down on the steering wheel (or at center console)
  • Pause/resume: Radio on/off button on the center console
  • Skip back 10 seconds: seek left pad on steering wheel (or at center console)
  • Skip forward 30 seconds: seek right pad on steering wheel (or at center console)
So what I'm missing is an option to skip past (and delete) the current episode and move to the next one. I want that when I realize it's a rebroadcast or I'm just not interested in the discussion. I have to go to the phone to do that. Or I hit the seek forward button a bunch of times.

This is a limitation of Bluetooth. I'm hoping that with my next car, I'll be able to do this via voice or maybe on the touch screen. I've used services like Pandora via Android Auto on other people's cars, but haven't tried podcast playback in that situation yet.

Ford announced that they'll have their own podcast app integrated with SYNC 4a, but I don't expect I'll prefer it to my current app (Podcast Addict).
For one podcast source, that's probably fine. I'm looking more for a variety of other streaming content (music, sports, news, etc) controlled directly from the car console. Hoping it can handle some common streaming apps directly on the screen (even if it connects to my phone seamlessly just to use it's cell data).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
For one podcast source, that's probably fine. I'm looking more for a variety of other streaming content (music, sports, news, etc) controlled directly from the car console. Hoping it can handle some common streaming apps directly on the screen (even if it connects to my phone seamlessly just to use it's cell data).
My Fiesta handles some streaming apps on the touch screen through AppLink. Like Pandora. But these aren't the ones I prefer to use. So I like that I can play whatever I want from my phone.

If I had a Tesla, I'd still do the same (Bluetooth from my phone). Tesla has built in apps, but I don't prefer those options or the lack of flexibility in where I listen.

But with cars that support stuff like Android Auto, you can do the same as with older cars (e.g. Bluetooth) plus even more. Changing audio sources on Android Auto is extremely simple via touchscreen or via voice.

Then with Mach-E, we should have all the old choices, plus AA and CarPlay, plus whatever new stuff Ford provides beyond those. Plenty of options. The only thing that might be missing is a 3.5mm audio input jack? I doubt many people use that anymore though, unless they don't have Bluetooth.

BTW, in case it wasn't clear, I listen to many different podcast subscriptions. I prefer to hear oldest downloads first (across all subs). And I want new episodes downloaded automatically and old ones deleted after I've played them. All of this is accomodated by the app on my phone, which does so seemlessly without regard for where I'm listening (at home, in car, etc.). This is why I have no expectation of liking Ford's app. The bar they'd need to meet is too high.
Sponsored