Banned
First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE | Shelby GT500
Country flag
Lol at ford homers trying to talk shit about people "unrealistically expecting" a Ford Mustang GT Performance Edition to out trap a goddamn VOLVO. JFC delete your account. What is wrong with you.

If Ford wants to gimp the Mustang GT Performance Edition to not outperform other cars in their lineup then that is their prerogative but then I DO NOT AND WILL NOT EVER WANT TO OWN ONE.
Thereā€™s nothing wrong with me. I wasnā€™t tricked by Fordā€™s marketing. Iā€™ve got a Premium AWD ER and am happy with it. Good luck bro.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
100% these traps and 1/4 mile times are due to programming. This is an 11 second car all day long once that's sorted.
1.69 0-30, 3.6s 0-60 and 7.90 1/8th mile say yessiree Bob. As long as Ford opens up the taps on all that HP weā€™re good ??

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Except it's already sorted, exactly as Ford chose to sort it.
this.

Could they? Of course.

Will they?

They knew this car trapped 100 in the 1/4 when they released it.

You tell me.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Thereā€™s nothing wrong with me. I wasnā€™t tricked by Fordā€™s marketing. Iā€™ve got a Premium AWD ER and am happy with it. Good luck bro.
Okay let us know when you buy a GT because until then I'm not sure why you're chiming in

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
Lol at ford homers trying to talk shit about people "unrealistically expecting" a Ford Mustang GT Performance Edition to out trap a goddamn VOLVO. JFC delete your account. What is wrong with you.

If Ford wants to gimp the Mustang GT Performance Edition to not outperform other cars in their lineup then that is their prerogative but then I DO NOT AND WILL NOT EVER WANT TO OWN ONE.
Oh and donā€™t forget the ā€œthose batteries wonā€™t pull for that longā€ or ā€œneeds a 2 gear transmission like a Taycanā€ or ā€œEVs just arenā€™t ready for prime time.ā€ Itā€™s like itā€™s 2002 up in here.

t12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
If the GTs were intentionally neutered to not compete with ICE Mustangs, that'd be a pretty damning indictment of the product strategy. Self sabotaging is the worst possible scenario here, as the GTs would be severely handicapped in comparison tests with other vehicles in this market segment.

This reminds of the following excerpt from Job's biography:
One of Job's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will," he said. So even though an Iphone might cannibalize sales of an IPod, or an IPad might cannibalize sales of a laptop, that did not deter him.

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
I wonder if the embargo that Ford might've placed on the GT reviews have anything to do with this kind of internet chatter. I hope so. I think Ford knew that the GT only goes 100 mph or so in the 1/4 and that they wanted to see how everyone reacted.

Also, after owning many Mustangs over the years, I've always felt that Ford released them as, "75%" cars. With that I mean that a stock Mustang is perfectly wonderful for 75% of the buyers, but they always left room for improvement. The aftermarket is enormous for those wanting to modify their Mustang. Heck, I didn't have my GT-500 for a month before the fun began and now it's somewhere around 1000 horsepower...and I've had my eyes on that new 3.8 Whipple upgrade.

I don't know how we consumers can modify the new EVs. If there was a way to get more performance out of the motors, I'd be willing to lay down cash to do so.

Maybe that's what Ford is doing here? I've gotta think that there are companies out there furiously trying to find ways to get more power out of them.

I really hope that Ford, itself steps in and does something...especially knowing the EVs are the future. They can capitalize on a huge market of ICE Mustang owners that will eventually be forced into the EV world.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I wonder if the embargo that Ford might've placed on the GT reviews have anything to do with this kind of internet chatter. I hope so. I think Ford knew that the GT only goes 100 mph or so in the 1/4 and that they wanted to see how everyone reacted.

Also, after owning many Mustangs over the years, I've always felt that Ford released them as, "75%" cars. With that I mean that a stock Mustang is perfectly wonderful for 75% of the buyers, but they always left room for improvement. The aftermarket is enormous for those wanting to modify their Mustang. Heck, I didn't have my GT-500 for a month before the fun began and now it's somewhere around 1000 horsepower...and I've had my eyes on that new 3.8 Whipple upgrade.

I don't know how we consumers can modify the new EVs. If there was a way to get more performance out of the motors, I'd be willing to lay down cash to do so.

Maybe that's what Ford is doing here? I've gotta think that there are companies out there furiously trying to find ways to get more power out of them.

I really hope that Ford, itself steps in and does something...especially knowing the EVs are the future. They can capitalize on a huge market of ICE Mustang owners that will eventually be forced into the EV world.
The problem with waiting for the aftermarket for BEVs is very simple:

OTA updates.

People have hacked Teslaā€™s and sell 50-150 hp ā€œtunes.ā€

But as soon as you do it, you no longer can get OTA updates. And you can be certain your battery and powertrain warranty are shot.

We need Ford to fix it.

I had no concerns blowing the warranty with a tune on my extremely durable and reliable and cheap to fix LS3. I wonā€™t feel the same about the Mach E GTPE.

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
If the GTs were intentionally neutered to not compete with ICE Mustangs, that'd be a pretty damning indictment of the product strategy. Self sabotaging is the worst possible scenario here, as the GTs would be severely handicapped in comparison tests with other vehicles in this market segment.

This reminds of the following excerpt from Job's biography:
Except that the last time GM found itself cannibalizing their performance cars were with the '98+ LS1 Camaros. When the performance reached Corvette levels and sales for the Vette slumped due to the cost/performance aspect, the Camaro went away for 6 years. It's happening again and the ICE Camaro might die out within the next few years. GM finds itself trying to keep both historic nameplates alive. It's no wonder that there's rumor of the Camaro going EV.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Except that the last time GM found itself cannibalizing their performance cars were with the '98+ LS1 Camaros. When the performance reached Corvette levels and sales for the Vette slumped due to the cost/performance aspect, the Camaro went away for 6 years. It's happening again and the ICE Camaro might die out within the next few years. GM finds itself trying to keep both historic nameplates alive. It's no wonder that there's rumor of the Camaro going EV.
With GM claiming 100% BEV by 2035, they hope they can cannibalize (read replace) their ICE sales.

Personally I think that if they truly go 100%, their 2035 sales numbers wonā€™t be as high as they are today (adjusted for population growth). As long as there is a competitor still selling ICE, there will be a market for it.

So itā€™s not just a rumor the ICE Camaro is going away. All GM ICE vehicles are going away. I think the likelihood of them hitting the 100% by 2035 goal is lower than they he likelihood of them going bankrupt trying. The GM BEVs havenā€™t exactly been good sellers, good vehicles nor (most importantly to the company) profitable.

Whoever at the board meeting pitched the idea of taking their least profitable and lowest volume cars and said ā€œwe should make EVERY car just like it,ā€ must be one heck of a salesperson.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
One thing is for certain: above 80 mph there isn't much left in it. If I were to guess, I'd think 120-130 would be the top speed...and it would take awhile to get there.

did you have 'traction control' turned on, or off ?
I'd suggest off so the software doesn't throttle back to prevent wheel spin... but your starts were great, so no worries really, may be fine to just floor it and let traction control manage the spin.

The top end is software limited... current/rpm are most likely limited with a complex algorythm that looks at motor temp, motor rpm, coolant temp, ambient temp, etc to prevent overheating of batteries and motor and over-speed rpm on the motor since we have fixed gearing, and probably not user changable until somebody figures out a hack into the controller. Which would endanger any future drivetrain warranty claims. AC motor efficiency is good, but does vary with load and speed, and has to dump the heat somewhere. Batteries are also have some internal resistance.... internal temps will rise under high loads, and that heat has to get dumped somewhere.

Drag racing dumps a lot of heat from batteries, and the longer you have between runs, the more the internal cooling can recover. The goal for best performance would be to start your runs when internal battery , and motor temps have recovered to 70-80 deg F.

extended High speed is more gradual heat dump, but brings in the mechanical rpm limits of the motors/gears/diff themselves.... and since we can't play with the gearing or RPM limits, the only change thats easy is the tire diameter.

Might be able to squeeze out a higher top end by using the biggest circumference tires that will fit in the wheelwells. This would give a few more mph at the same motor rpm.

My Select has a hard cap at 112mph, GT is supposed to be higher. Select feels like the software throttles back around 85-90, and the times I've pulled off my tests using the ODB2 reader+CarScanner show a pretty big change in the accel curve somewhere between 80-100

0-90 the Mach-e is outstanding. great fun for mountain, Auto-x or tracks with <100mph backstretch..... but not going to be an all out 1/4 mile contender, or autobahn king.

Last edited:

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
With GM claiming 100% BEV by 2035, they hope they can cannibalize (read replace) their ICE sales.

Personally I think that if they truly go 100%, their 2035 sales numbers wonā€™t be as high as they are today (adjusted for population growth). As long as there is a competitor still selling ICE, there will be a market for it.

So itā€™s not just a rumor the ICE Camaro is going away. All GM ICE vehicles are going away. I think the likelihood of them hitting the 100% by 2035 goal is lower than they he likelihood of them going bankrupt trying. The GM BEVs havenā€™t exactly been good sellers, good vehicles nor (most importantly to the company) profitable.

Whoever at the board meeting pitched the idea of taking their least profitable and lowest volume cars and said ā€œwe should make EVERY car just like it,ā€ must be one heck of a salesperson.
Well it certainly doesn't help that GM designed it's only real EV to look like a minivan who's mom did way too much meth while she was pregnant with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E More Mach-E GT 1/4 mile track results 1631457289030

I think Tesla certainly deserves tremendous credit for pushing the EV market forward, but at the same time every single established automaker just sat there and watched them put out reasonably attractive EVs with performance rivaling legit sports cars and in some cases exotics, and then made turds like this in response. Like the fact that they could put out something this hideous and still sell enough to phase out their tax credit should have made some overpaid exec at least consider the possibility that maybe more than just vegans appreciate the advantages of instant linear torque, home charging, and less maintenance.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
It's not. They're great cars. I've got one in the garage and another on order. But no, they're not.
Well, it is. Regardless of how many you have, it is.

source: Ford called it a Mustang.
Sponsored