Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
What about going downhill for a few miles, how do you capture the most regen/miles?
I went over Stevens Pass last summer (Washington state). Lost 3% going up and gained 4% going down. I was in engaged
Sponsored

S.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E SELECT
Country flag
First, try to use as little energy as possible.
Second, try to regenerate as much energy as possible.
Third, the first is more important than the second.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Physics dictates that the energy needed to accelerate an object to a set speed is the same no matter how quickly or slowly you accelerate. So drive mode has 0 bearing on efficiency of acceleration, at least in a BEV. The drive mode has a massive impact on how you modulate your right foot, so it can certainly have an impact on efficiency based on your driving style, but that's a driver issue, not a mode issue.

S.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E SELECT
Country flag
Physics dictates that the energy needed to accelerate an object to a set speed is the same no matter how quickly or slowly you accelerate. So drive mode has 0 bearing on efficiency of acceleration, at least in a BEV. The drive mode has a massive impact on how you modulate your right foot, so it can certainly have an impact on efficiency based on your driving style, but that's a driver issue, not a mode issue.
But in real life driving, we have traffic lights, stop signs, uphill and downhill slopes, speed limits, and different situations that require constant acceleration and deceleration.
Coasting can avoid frequent regeneration.
Coasting can reduce part of the time to maintain the accelerator.
Therefore, whisper mode Coasting can use a greater proportion of energy to drive the vehicle.
Frequent regeneration wastes most of the energy.
Because the efficiency of regeneration is not 100%. A lot of energy is wasted in the process.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
But in real life driving, we have traffic lights, stop signs, uphill and downhill slopes, speed limits, and different situations that require constant acceleration and deceleration.
Coasting can avoid frequent regeneration.
Coasting can reduce part of the time to maintain the accelerator.
Therefore, whisper mode Coasting can use a greater proportion of energy to drive the vehicle.
Frequent regeneration wastes most of the energy.
Because the efficiency of regeneration is not 100%. A lot of energy is wasted in the process.
I think what you’re missing is that you can coast in ANY drive mode.

Coast in whisper- foot off gas pedal

Coast in engage or unbridle- foot lightly on gas pedal

Coast in 1PD- foot on gas pedal

If you drive exactly the same (and you can) in any drive mode you get identical efficiency because our cars use blended braking. The only thing the drive modes change is what controls the inputs.

S.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E SELECT
Country flag
I think what you’re missing is that you can coast in ANY drive mode.

Coast in whisper- foot off gas pedal

Coast in engage or unbridle- foot lightly on gas pedal

Coast in 1PD- foot on gas pedal

If you drive exactly the same (and you can) in any drive mode you get identical efficiency because our cars use blended braking. The only thing the drive modes change is what controls the inputs.
Of course I know.
If you use engage or unbridle or 1PD, even if you have super throttle control ability, you can only use coasting in some situations.
I have practiced coasting in neutral in engage or unbridle or 1PD mode.
Coasting in neutral is easier than using your gas pedal controls. And enter the coasting mode with 100% success. However, in real life driving, the use of regeneration cannot be completely avoided. Especially on 1PD mode. Even if you don't consider the driving risks caused by frequent use of neutral, you can't completely avoid using regeneration.

now I use whisper mode and only use neutral when going downhill and when it's safe.
Because Whisper will also use regeneration in slope situations.

If it is just for efficiency, sometimes regeneration should be avoided as much as possible, and sometimes regeneration must be used as much as possible. Sometimes you want to accelerate as slowly as possible, sometimes you want to accelerate violently.
Therefore, most people think that driving like a grandma can save energy, which is not correct.
At first I thought that utilizing regeneration as much as possible would be the most energy-saving way. It was later found to be wrong.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course I know.
If you use engage or unbridle or 1PD, even if you have super throttle control ability, you can only use coasting in some situations.
I have practiced coasting in neutral in engage or unbridle or 1PD mode.
Coasting in neutral is easier than using your gas pedal controls. And enter the coasting mode with 100% success. However, in real life driving, the use of regeneration cannot be completely avoided. Especially on 1PD mode. Even if you don't consider the driving risks caused by frequent use of neutral, you can't completely avoid using regeneration.

I now use whisper mode and only use neutral when going downhill and when it's safe.
Because Whisper will also use regeneration in slope situations.

If it is just for efficiency, sometimes regeneration should be avoided as much as possible, and sometimes regeneration must be used as much as possible. Sometimes you want to accelerate as slowly as possible, sometimes you want to accelerate violently.
Therefore, most people think that driving like a grandma can save energy, which is not correct.
At first I thought that utilizing regeneration as much as possible would be the most energy-saving way. It was later found to be wrong.
So if you know this, why are you the only one here trying to argue that one mode is more efficient than the other?

The modes are all identical in efficiency.

Now you could argue it’s easier to drive more efficient in whisper. But that again is how you drive, not the mode that makes a difference.

That said, don’t drive regularly putting the car in neutral, it just plain isn’t safe. That and if you brake in neutral, it is less efficient as you get zero regen, only friction brakes.

S.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E SELECT
Country flag
So if you know this, why are you the only one here trying to argue that one mode is more efficient than the other?

The modes are all identical in efficiency.

Now you could argue it’s easier to drive more efficient in whisper. But that again is how you drive, not the mode that makes a difference.

That said, don’t drive regularly putting the car in neutral, it just plain isn’t safe. That and if you brake in neutral, it is less efficient as you get zero regen, only friction brakes.
Because in most cases, regular driving with Whisper does save more energy.

Whisper mode will activate regeneration except on big slopes. Slight slopes and other conditions are totally coasting.
And it is inevitable to use regeneration in engage or unbridle or 1PD.

Therefore, if you follow the normal driving mode (not using neutral, not to save power, not particularly intense driving), the whisper mode will be more efficient in most cases.

I also said "If your driving pattern frequently involves very intense acceleration and very intense deceleration. Then one peddle mode may save more energy than two peddle, and Unbridled may also save energy than whisper."
This is a relatively rare special situation. Must be compatible with strenuous driving and specific driving conditions.

Neandrewthal

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-e CA Route 1
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
However, more energy is wasted to heat due to the internal resistance of the battery, and to some extent the rest of the system. Under high draw, lithium-ion batteries might only deliver 70% of their rated kWh capacity.

Neandrewthal

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-e CA Route 1
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
Hi MachE owners, I am a bit confused, I have not seen any material to say what the most eco mode is on the MachE.
Whisper mode seems best for slippery conditions but on YouTube, they state that all modes will be eco. Go figure.
Any suggestions?
Try testing your efficiency at 80 and at 50 mph. If you get the same efficiency, please let us know what magic coating you are using on your car.

We'll wait to hear back.
Try 30 as well. More efficient than 50. Except possibly not if running max heating.

S.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E SELECT
Country flag
I'm just speculating and analyzing based on my actual driving tests.
And try to answer everyone's questions.
I think arguing is a very good way to learn.
Maybe it's because my expression is not very friendly?🤔

Because I use Google to translate my Chinese into English, the grammar is rather strange, and I cannot express it very clearly, so it is difficult for everyone to understand.

In 2022-2023, for about half a year, I studied English at a community school and could use the school's free charging. During that time I tested different driving modes. There is no idea of saving power at all, just for hobby and curiosity.

Now I use Mach e every day as an Uber eats driver.
So I tested different energy-saving driving methods for thousands of miles, using different methods on the same journey (the same customers ordering food). If I am wrong in anything, you are welcome to criticize.

If you see an ugly man driving a Mach e in an Uber, it's definitely me.🤣🤣

I've tried delivering food to mach e owners' homes.

Once, Tesla had a software problem and could not drive, so the owner called Uber (I drove a Mach E to save Tesla.)😅😅

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because in most cases, regular driving with Whisper does save more energy.

Whisper mode will activate regeneration except on big slopes. Slight slopes and other conditions are totally coasting.
And it is inevitable to use regeneration in engage or unbridle or 1PD.

Therefore, if you follow the normal driving mode (not using neutral, not to save power, not particularly intense driving), the whisper mode will be more efficient in most cases.

I also said "If your driving pattern frequently involves very intense acceleration and very intense deceleration. Then one peddle mode may save more energy than two peddle, and Unbridled may also save energy than whisper."
This is a relatively rare special situation. Must be compatible with strenuous driving and specific driving conditions.
That’s the thing though- it has been tested, by many people, for the last 3 years and there is no difference in efficiency in any mode.

You should choose a mode based on personal preference because it won’t make a difference in efficiency.

If you’re more efficient in whisper, it’s only because you drive differently in whisper.

You keep talking about slopes and coasting, but again, you can coast in any mode.

abfoot7818

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Expedition Max FX4, 2014 C-Max PHEV
Country flag
What about going downhill for a few miles, how do you capture the most regen/miles?
Have you not already noticed that the car has a elevation or angle of descent sensor when you coast downhill you don’t actually Coast it maintains your speed almost as if you had advanced cruise control on you only actually maybe gain a mile or two per hour speed if you selected neutral and went downhill, I’m sure you would Coast much faster. You can feel that the vehicle does not free wheel downhill. It is regenerating, trying to maintain the speed you were when you took your foot off the accelerator. I suppose you have to have the one pedal mode off for you to actually notice this one of the benefits of not using one pedal mode. I’ve already put 11,000 miles on my MME in seven months driving all over the north east states and as far as Detroit.

abfoot7818

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Expedition Max FX4, 2014 C-Max PHEV
Country flag
Coasting does not regenerate the battery. Engaged may slow the car faster but it is regenerating the car more also so it seems it would be about the same amount of energy.
Coasting does do regeneration at different rates for each drive mode whisper being the least amount of regeneration if you put the car in neutral, all regeneration stops, in fact, as you slow down with either unbridled mode with your foot off the accelerator in into pedal mode or if you are slowing down with your foot on the brake pedal gently Shifted into neutral, and you will feel a definite physical release of the motors as regenerative braking is dropped and you are free wheeling so while coasting neutral does not regenerate anything coasting in gear does create regeneration, especially and unbridled mode or when you press the L for low.
Sponsored