Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
The variability in any numbers or test you have done have nothing to do with the mode you’re in.

Theyre because of how you drove in that mode or external factors like temperature and wind.
Did you read my post?
Sponsored

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Yup, and you said 1PD is “more efficient.”

It isn’t.

It’s the same if you drive the same.
I mean the Facebook post that I linked on page 1. I drove the same route in 35 MPH zone that I have driven for the last 8 years. Variations in the trips were almost negligible.
So were the difference in efficiency.
Since 1PD used a bit less energy in both modes, you can deduce that for my driving style it’s a bit more efficient. I also mentioned that “your results may vary”

abfoot7818

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Expedition Max FX4, 2014 C-Max PHEV
Country flag
We have instrumentation on GT models (power meter).

But coasting in any mode isn’t exactly hard to do. Slightest wiggle of your foot?

That’s exactly how people drive every car. You slightly change your foot pressure to maintain speed, accelerate or slow down. And yes, that includes coasting to a stop if you want.

How fast you drive, accelerate and decelerate determines efficiency in the Mach E, not the drive mode.

And for “unbridle extend,” that may be the only exception to the rule because as you stated “regenerative braking is reduced.” That means more friction brakes which is less efficient. They likely do this in that mode to keep the battery slightly cooler. But it’s designed for track use only, not for efficiency.
I haven’t been blessed, nor have I taken enough money out of my wallet to receive the power meter that is on the GT.
Wow well golly 28 years of having a license and I’ve never coasted with my foot on the accelerator. I recon I might never get around to it has it seems too difficult since just leaving foot off is easier to coast. I have been behind a MME on the interstate they had no vehicles in front of them watching their brake lights come on over 20-30 times in a mile much like following behind someone who thinks that their left foot isn’t touching the brakes. Bottom line the easiest most economical way to drive any vehicle is to not touch either pedal. So enjoy the great handling of the Mach-e and round those corners without slowing down.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I mean the Facebook post that I linked on page 1. I drove the same route in 35 MPH zone that I have driven for the last 8 years. Variations in the trips were almost negligible.
So were the difference in efficiency.
Since 1PD used a bit less energy in both modes, you can deduce that for my driving style it’s a bit more efficient. I also mentioned that “your results may vary”
Ah, I didn’t put together you were referring to an earlier post.

Either way, I still say the same thing. It just plain isn’t more efficient. You drive differently or there were external differences or it’s just because our ability to measure efficiency isn’t super precise to begin with. Measuring kWh/mi isn’t as easy as miles per gallon for example. There are a lot of assumptions and estimates.

I believe that people observe differences in miles/kwh.

But at the same time I KNOW it has nothing to do with the drive mode. It’s just how they drive.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow well golly 28 years of having a license and I’ve never coasted with my foot on the accelerator. I recon I might never get around to it has it seems too difficult since just leaving foot off is easier to coast. I have been behind a MME on the interstate they had no vehicles in front of them watching their brake lights come on over 20-30 times in a mile much like following behind someone who thinks that their left foot isn’t touching the brakes. Bottom line the easiest most economical way to drive any vehicle is to not touch either pedal. So enjoy the great handling of the Mach-e and round those corners without slowing down.
Try it, it’s not hard. But yes, coasting in whisper takes no practice. Not sure why all the coasting talk anyways. Most people don’t drive like that unless trying to hypermile.

I hate 1PD and rarely use it, but can still coast pretty easily.

On the highway it’s easier to use cruise either way.

Mach Len E

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E Premium AWD & '19 Diesel GMC Canyon
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I’ve had it in whisper mode the whole 4 months I’ve had mine and it is still disconcerting in its feel. Still can hammer on it to heat up battery for a fast charger according to my ‘Car Scanner’ App 😉. In a couple weeks will be test strategy going to Banff with one 150 kW charger in Canmore. Some fun after incessantly doing ping pong between home and destination chargers😁

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Ah, I didn’t put together you were referring to an earlier post.

Either way, I still say the same thing. It just plain isn’t more efficient. You drive differently or there were external differences or it’s just because our ability to measure efficiency isn’t super precise to begin with. Measuring kWh/mi isn’t as easy as miles per gallon for example. There are a lot of assumptions and estimates.

I believe that people observe differences in miles/kwh.

But at the same time I KNOW it has nothing to do with the drive mode. It’s just how they drive.
I went by what FordPass was telling me about miles/kwh and kWh consumed.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went by what FordPass was telling me about miles/kwh and kWh consumed.
Makes sense, and again, I believe it told you different numbers for different drives.

I just know that it’s not super accurate and any variation isn’t because of the mode.

It’s not really much different for gas cars though. You could drive the same route every day and reset your avg economy button each time, try to drive exactly the same….. and get a different number each time. Partially because the trip computer isn’t exact. Partially because external things. And partially because even though you think you eliminated all the variables……you haven’t.

S.K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E SELECT
Country flag
Do you have some numbers to back that up?
I have numbers that says Whisper with 1 pedal is the more efficient than without. The difference between Unbridle and Whisper is negligible.
This is my actual experience. I compared the efficiency of each driving mode many times on the same road. Ninety percent of the miles I drive are off-highway, and the Whisper has more obvious advantages, especially when you need to slow down and stop every time.
It means that you use less coasting under Whisper 2 pedal, and the regeneration efficiency when braking is not high.
In regeneration, 1 pedal will be more efficient than 2 pedal in most cases.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
This is my actual experience. I compared the efficiency of each driving mode many times on the same road. Ninety percent of the miles I drive are off-highway, and the Whisper has more obvious advantages, especially when you need to slow down and stop every time.
It means that you use less coasting under Whisper 2 pedal, and the regeneration efficiency when braking is not high.
In regeneration, 1 pedal will be more efficient than 2 pedal in most cases.
There is no one size fits all what works for some doesn't work for others, whisper with 1 pedal off is the most efficient for me but that is because I live up the top of the hills and everything I need to go to is at the bottom so it gives me the highest efficiency.

Whisper with 1 pedal off is the only mode that has enough lift off regen to allow the vehicle to hold its speed down the hills all other modes are too aggressive and requires driving down them. It doesn't matter what mode I am in on the way back up as I will be lucky to get above 2 mi/kwh.

While I can at least disable 1 pedal regardless of drive mode having the amount of lift off regen tied to a mode is not ideal and come my next ev that will be a deal breaker. If I lived where it was as flat as pancake it would be less of an issue.

Reactions: S.K

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
There is no one size fits all what works for some doesn't work for others, whisper with 1 pedal off is the most efficient for me but that is because I live up the top of the hills and everything I need to go to is at the bottom so it gives me the highest efficiency.
How do you get back home? I would go in reverse for maximum efficiency. 😂
Sponsored