My Mach-E Was Stolen

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Okay, I was able to log in to that account. What am I supposed to do with this information?
I brought it up because you mentioned law enforcement asked for a "phone number". AT&T has the VIN to IMEI mapping in their database, it doesn't really matter if you know the "phone number", but if this help law enforcement get the ball rolling (since they would know what to do if this was a regular mobile phone) then it would be good.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

NPVinny

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I brought it up because you mentioned law enforcement asked for a "phone number". AT&T has the VIN to IMEI mapping in their database, it doesn't really matter if you know the "phone number", but if this help law enforcement get the ball rolling (since they would know what to do if this was a regular mobile phone) then it would be good.
I think they were asking for a phone number they could use to directly contact Ford, not my car. But I can still give this number to them see if perhaps that would be helpful.

Edit: Did a little poking around and the phone profile also contained an ICCID, which sounds like it can be used for tracking.

Last edited:

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well that's dumb ... what's the point of locking your FOB in the car? What use case is there for that? Wouldn't it just unlock immediately because the key is present?

I've used that method (fob in car and locked with keypad) in my 2010 Milan Hybrid & 2016 MKZ Hybrid when I go to the beach or on a short hike. I can just unlock the car with the keypad. Sure someone could break a window or use a slim-jim to open the door but in each case the car is in a parking lot in a well traveled area.

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
Okay, I was able to log in to that account. What am I supposed to do with this information?
My friend, please call your local Police Department or Sheriff's Office and ask for the Auto Theft division. They are likely to have more resources than we, on this thread/forum, can provide. The Auto Theft division may have knowledge about an uptick of car thefts in your area and might be watching a chop-shop or person(s). The run-of-the-mill friendly deputy who responded may not have. he knowledge, skills, or resources to help beyond taking a report.The Auto Theft division may already have access or contacts to gain the information that you are seeking from strangers on the internet.

jdunc87

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT PE, 20 Mustang GT 401A PP1, 21 F150
Occupation
make stuff go faster
Country flag
Not a code. A notification on Ford Pass, asking you if you want to delete the car from your account. Asking you if you want to reset back to factory etc. For second owners it should be as simple as making sure everything is done on the spot when buying the vehicle.

I mean, you have the keypad on the vehicle to give you the convenience of leaving your keys in the car. This shouldn't mean that anyone can break in and automatically take ownership of the car, it doesn't make sense. Like a Tesla, you have to log into your account and remove the vehicle from there and the app, whether you have a key fob or not.
in dealing with the general public, if they dont care about it, they will ignore it. Youre once again stuck with a car you cant get them unpaired.

LTC_HUGH

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, F150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately I can't find my fob so I can only surmise that I accidentally left it in there.
Just saw this, so sorry this happened to you. I really hope Ford responds and helps in this matter. It shouldn't take anything to find it especially with the VIN. Good luck and keep us posted.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
This is piss poor security from Ford. It should not be that easy for them to just delete your car from Ford Pass with Key Fob or not… wow
Okay, so what if you are out on the town and you lost your phone, I'd definitely want to be able to remove any phone from my car as long as I had the FOB. You know so they can't use PAAK to steal your car. Security is a tricky bitch

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Dear Ford:

Please let us know if the VIN number allows you to find our MME?

The Group

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Well, having car stolen sucks. I was taught when learning to drive to NEVER leave the key in the car. 45 years later I still follow that rule. Unfortunately, most car thieves do not steal a car to drive it. It is fairly quickly taken down to parts to sell on the market. If you do not recover in 48 hours very unlikely you will ever see in an assembled condition again.
We travel a lot and we use it at the airport sometimes when one of us is flying out but the other one is flying in the same or next day. Leave the FOB hidden in the car. Lock with the keypad on the outside. Text the parking spot location. Then the other person picks up the car when they fly in. It works great.
For people screwing around with faraday bags and hiding fobs, here are three other thoughts:
  • Just remove the battery from the fob. Then it won’t do anything until it’s put in the start holder in the console
  • For people with Apple Watch GPS + Cellular who are going out for a hike/run/whatever. Just power down your iPhone and leave it somewhere in the car. Even if someone breaks into the car and finds the iPhone, it’s useless to them unless they know the passcode
  • Just rely on the door pin and car password
There’s a definite risk in hiding your key in the car. All the obvious spots will be checked very quickly. Under the mats (including the trunk area), glove box, seat pockets, door pockets, center console. All are vulnerable. Even my spot is vulnerable although it’ll take a fair amount of thought to find it.

The question is why are we leaving the keys?

1. If it’s because PAAK doesn’t work so you’re phone can’t be relied on to get you in the car, then that’s understandable. But it’s still a risk.
2. If, on the other hand, it’s because you don’t trust the fobless technology and don’t want to be stranded, try entering and driving without a key for awhile.
3. Another possibility is the key is an issue with whatever you’re doing. When I was a dedicated hardcore triathlete I hated having my keys and phone with me. Running? Nope. I didn’t even like wearing a watch. Swimming? Chili tune and/or salt get in everywhere sooner or later. In those cases, it’s a calculated risk. Just find a place to hide it. Use Velcro and a faraday bag if you have to.

Just my 2 cents worth. I fall mostly into category 2. I’ve started weaning myself from the crutch of having the key in the car. But PAAK works for me. An occasional start code wouldn’t matter to me.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Read through 10 pages... no one suggests this, hopefully this could be the ticket?

ALL BEVs need to be charged. Likely charged in public at ChargePoint, Electrify America, etc. They are smart systems. Probably have access to the VIN. If the charging companies can detect the VIN of a stolen vehicle has connected to their network, they could alert authorities. It would be great if they could send a signal to the car to prevent the plug from being released from the car, so the vehicle cannot leave.

Is that the ticket to recovery?

Of course the thieves may have a private, non-networked charger, but this whole smart charging network could be the ticket to finding stolen vehicles. It's not like dumb gas pumps.

I read through all 10 pages --- PAAK, faraday bags, etc., but I think the connection to smart and networked chargers would be the key, so to speak!
Not if you charge on a private L2 charger. I’m pretty sure my Ford Connected Charge Station doesn’t report anything back to the Ford Galactic Super Computer. In fact, it’s never even received the software update the others received.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company I second this question.

Sorry to hear about your car, OP.
I do not believe you will get a clear answer to that question for liability reasons. Consider, do YOU want a manufacturer of a product you guy publicly admitting “oh, yes, we can track you whenever we want.” Even though we all carry trackers with us at all times? Just think of what Facebook (just using them as an example) could do if they had your continual geolocation data tied to your browsing history and all your Facebook information? ?

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I can't speak to the latter, but I already told a deputy that they should be able to contact Ford to get the location of the vehicle. But when I mentioned that he started asking questions about what kind of tracking system it uses (like OnStar), or if there's a phone number they can use. I told him it wasn't a system like that but I didn't know how else to explain it to him.

I don't know if I should be calling in and asking for the actual detective working the case since I'm not sure the deputy I talked to works with car thefts or what, or if I should still try to get back in touch with that deputy and still try to explain things again.

It's just all super frustrating.
I think the insurance company would be interested in finding the car.

Danno

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 4WD Ext - Carbonized Grey
Occupation
RADAR Tech
Country flag
Sorry to hear about your car. The dealer installed LoJack on my MME and I thought it was a waste because of the location finder with the Ford app. Glad he put it in because I can see this being a car thieves might target if they know how to start it.
Sponsored