Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This thread has given me a lot to think about! Just three weeks away from our first road trip!
Also, Plugshare has the rating system and user comments for every site. Those are EXTREMELY important when planning a trip. If a site has a rating of less than 10, look at all the recent comments. EA even posts messages on Plugshare indicating known outages, or they will post if they just fixed a charger.

Example, if you go on Plugshare and find the Swift Travel Center ChargePoint DFDC at Flagstaff Airport, you will see a rating of 3.1. Read the comments and you find that the CCS connector is broken. Only the CHAdeMO works. Obviously you cannot count on that charger for use with a Mach E.

Plugshare, don't leave home without it.
Sponsored

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Also, Plugshare has the rating system and user comments for every site. Those are EXTREMELY important when planning a trip. If a site has a rating of less than 10, look at all the recent comments. EA even posts messages on Plugshare indicating known outages, or they will post if they just fixed a charger.

Example, if you go on Plugshare and find the Swift Travel Center ChargePoint DFDC at Flagstaff Airport, you will see a rating of 3.1. Read the comments and you find that the CCS connector is broken. Only the CHAdeMO works. Obviously you cannot count on that charger for use with a Mach E.

Plugshare, don't leave home without it.
Does Plugshare work with Google Maps?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Does Plugshare work with Google Maps?
I don't have Google maps, but it does work with Apple maps on my iPhone. I assume it would also work with Google. It asks to choose a routing app within Plugshare to start a trip.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't have Google maps, but it does work with Apple maps on my iPhone. I assume it would also work with Google. It asks to choose a routing app within Plugshare to start a trip.
I tried it from my PC, and yes, it does work with Google maps.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Plugshare has a trip planner that you can add stops to and it works for free on CarPlay. I have also noticed that ABRP does not update with new stations as quickly as Plugshare.
Cool, thanks! Gonna take a look at that for sure! Love all this stuff LOL

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I agree, the on board NAV is by far the most accurate estimator of Mach-e's range ... but it lacks the ability to add stops, as it was shown how it can be easily done in the Ford Ireland's promotional youTube. Even though I did figure it out how to do it, but it is insanely cumbersome, so I am just segmenting my journeys from point A to point B.
The built in nav can add many stops to a trip. You can plan a trip ahead of time under “My Trips.” Or if you’re already navigating. Just find another destination, and when you press “Go” it will ask if you want to add it as a waypoint or replace your current trip. Tap the Waypoint option, and it will add it as a stop.

I agree that it seems very accurate, in my road trips so far it’s been within a percentage point or two upon arrival, and the charge times it suggested were very close…usually estimating more time than it actually took to charge to the recommended percentages.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
My Wife has made the final decision! We will be using Ford Nav for our first road trip in 3 weeks. I have loaded ABRP and Plugshare on my IPhone for backup. Used Fordpass trip planner for routing and charge locations. All 3 apps picked the same EA stations.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

The built in nav can add many stops to a trip. You can plan a trip ahead of time under “My Trips.” Or if you’re already navigating. Just find another destination, and when you press “Go” it will ask if you want to add it as a waypoint or replace your current trip. Tap the Waypoint option, and it will add it as a stop.

I agree that it seems very accurate, in my road trips so far it’s been within a percentage point or two upon arrival, and the charge times it suggested were very close…usually estimating more time than it actually took to charge to the recommended percentages.
Yes you can edit the saved journeys from your phone once it is sent to the vehicle ... but what I am saying is that you cannot create a journey on the phone, edit it by adding stops and then sending to the vehicle.... and yes you can edit and manipulate the created journey's points of origin and destination but not add stops while on your phone. The way that Ford Ireland shows is really convenient!

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I have never done so much planning for a road trip before but I am looking forward to the challenge with the MME! My Wife’s father will be traveling with us so I have to factor in his needs as well. Some one on this forum posted that the EA station in Gainesville only had one working charger! That will be my first stop!
Was there a week ago. Two chargers were down, one only charged at about 40kw and the only remaining unit worked. I called it in to EA. There were other similar comments on Plug Share. I don’t think any EA people had come by in a while.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Was there a week ago. Two chargers were down, one only charged at about 40kw and the only remaining unit worked. I called it in to EA. There were other similar comments on Plug Share. I don’t think any EA people had come by in a while.
Did you have to wait long to charge? We would like to have lunch at Steak and Shake while charging but I need to find out if they are open inside? With this pandemic getting worse it may be hard to find a place with indoor seating?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Did you have to wait long to charge? We would like to have lunch at Steak and Shake while charging but I need to find out if they are open inside?
It was me that posted about the 3 chargers not working for several months because the Mrs and I were planning to stop there for lunch on our way down from NJ at the end of September. At this point we'll probably hit the FPL chargers in lake city (there's a steak-n-shake within walking distance). What can I say, the wife is from St. Louis and misses steak-n-shake :)

So I'd like to know too if @Tampamike or anyone else knows if steak-n-shake is still open inside with a full menu.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

It was me that posted about the 3 chargers not working for several months because the Mrs and I were planning to stop there for lunch on our way down from NJ at the end of September. At this point we'll probably hit the FPL chargers in lake city (there's a steak-n-shake within walking distance). What can I say, the wife is from St. Louis and misses steak-n-shake :)

So I'd like to know too if @Tampamike or anyone else knows if steak-n-shake is still open inside with a full menu.
I am not sure specifically if the establishment you are referring is fully open, but I can unequivocally tell you this: I have been doing extensive One Day Road trips, i.e. from Windermere to Alfred A mcKethan beach, to Pine Island, to Cedar Key, to Punta Gorda's Fishermen Village, to Lighthouse at Sanibel Island, etc .... down in Florida everything is open, all large franchise eateries are fully open, but this is not true for "Mom & Pop" type places.

However ... this is a big HOWEVER ... I heard today on the TV that COVID-19 has spiked to 23,000+ cases an all time one day high. Governor deSantis' no mask policy and no demand for vaccination proof is drawing severe criticism. So take with a grain of salt and plan accordingly.

Look who I bumped at one of the FPL chargers (this one had ChargePoint units) at Colonial Sq Plz in Fort Myers ... a team of BMW drivers testing their yet to be released EV's! My Mach-e looks pretty sharp compared to their $50K+ Series 4 sedan! (they didn't tell me the exact model line up other than what was written on side of the iX SUV).

Ford Mustang Mach-E My trips ... add a waypoint ??? IMG_2853.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E My trips ... add a waypoint ??? IMG_2850

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

I have tried ABRP with CarPlay and it wants me to pay money for the feature. Plugshare works with CarPlay, for free.

I can tell you this, the MyChevrolet app for the Bolt works way better than the Ford Pass app for trip planning, and even predicts usage much better than ABRP. I just plugged in Phoenix to Vegas in the MyChevrolet app, it takes me to the EA charger in Kingman directly, then on into Vegas on US93, as expected.

Can you download ABRP and Plugshare as apps directly from Ford?
The Ford app have functionality equivalent to that of myChevApp and ABRP but its user face is absolutely horrible. I figured out everything: from creating a trip, sending to the vehicle, adding waypoints, editing the details, re-naming ... etc

If you watch the Ford Ireland youTube, in there you have a much friendly user interface whereas by a simple click you can edit the My Trips before sending to the vehicle, ie. add as many waypoints as you want ... review it and send to vehicle. That is not present in the US version app.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag

Don’t know about steak-n-shake.
Sponsored