Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
It appears that the Super Charger knows when it's not connected to a Ford EV:

Yes, because the adapter is a dumb "dongle" - it's just connecting pin X on the car to pin Y on the tesla cord. Once the wires are connected, the super charger starts talking to the car over that pin Y. If the car does not identify as a Ford (VIN number or whateveR), it rejects the charging session.
Sponsored

son of a swen

First Name
Eric Swenson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 Tesla Model 3 AWD
Occupation
retired
excellent that did work, thank you. claims june delivery.
Yeah, that is not a big surprise. I am amazed the few times I have use the Tesla Supercharging network..they know exactly who I am, what I drive and were my credit cards are. ( almost bought a Mach-e, but the day before we were going to test drive one, my order for a Tesla Model 3 came in...3 months ahead of what I was originally told. Maybe in 3 years we will try a Mach-e...why not!

Mach-Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Country flag
Yes, because the adapter is a dumb "dongle" - it's just connecting pin X on the car to pin Y on the tesla cord. Once the wires are connected, the super charger starts talking to the car over that pin Y. If the car does not identify as a Ford (VIN number or whateveR), it rejects the charging session.
I probably should have used the word "cares" instead of "knows". We obviously all know that the charging station "knows" which car it's communicating with, but nobody knew if Tesla would actually check for Ford EV's or if they just connected to all CCS ports using the standard protocol. Tesla is obviously doing a very slow roll out in order to preserve their network stability, and don't want other cars jumping on in mass. Hopefully they have everything figured out by the time I get my adapter in August...

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OK, I found this:
Unsurprisingly, Tesla is charging Ford EV owners differently than Tesla’s own EV owners. Looking at the costs at different charging stations in the US and Canada, it looks like Tesla is charging Ford EV owners about a 30% premium per kWh of charging at Superchargers on average.

That can get expensive really quickly.

Tesla offers a solution. Non-Tesla EV owners, like Ford’s EV owners, can pay a $13 per month Supercharging membership to pay the same price per kWh as Tesla owners:

Wow...that can add up to real $....

IMG_5685_c21e5b.png
Not worth it, if you don’t road trip a lot! Bill P

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I probably should have used the word "cares" instead of "knows". We obviously all know that the charging station "knows" which car it's communicating with, but nobody knew if Tesla would actually check for Ford EV's or if they just connected to all CCS ports using the standard protocol. Tesla is obviously doing a very slow roll out in order to preserve their network stability, and don't want other cars jumping on in mass. Hopefully they have everything figured out by the time I get my adapter in August...
And perhaps to honor the order of deals made for access by other manufacturers. Ford was first. I believe GM was 2nd. Kia/Hyundai was one of the last. Their announcement said 1Q2025.

Like Ford, Rivian announced "Spring". GM announced "early 2024". It's beginning to look like the those targets may be for being authorized on the Supercharger network, which is not necessarily the same timing as when owners get their free adapters. In that regard, Ford beat their "Spring 2024" target. If people want an adapter sooner, it appears the 3rd party ones work.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Yikes...and Tesla is making money off of the rates that I pay as a Tesla owner at 34- 38 cent/kWh.......
So you think there are no costs to run a charging network beyond the cost of electricity? They're likely not making money at those rates either. They need to pay for the capital investments of the chargers, installing them and the electric hookup. Add in ongoing costs associated with the land (lease or taxes), maintenance, etc. Considering chargers spend most of their time (with today's demand) not plugged in to a car and when they are in use, they're getting about $20 revenue for 25-30 minutes of use, there's not a whole lot of volume to make money at those margins even without expenses.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
I don't know either, but it does sound dangerous. I'm actually suggesting a longer cord as part of the adapter, not a separate extension cord.
How is that any different? It's still an extension cord - a plug on two ends. It's just different plugs on each end.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
OK, I found this:
Unsurprisingly, Tesla is charging Ford EV owners differently than Tesla’s own EV owners. Looking at the costs at different charging stations in the US and Canada, it looks like Tesla is charging Ford EV owners about a 30% premium per kWh of charging at Superchargers on average.

That can get expensive really quickly.

Tesla offers a solution. Non-Tesla EV owners, like Ford’s EV owners, can pay a $13 per month Supercharging membership to pay the same price per kWh as Tesla owners:

Wow...that can add up to real $....

IMG_5685_c21e5b.png
Do Tesla owners get free membership? Remember Elon opened chargers to get tax payer money, so if pricing isn't equal there will be lawsuits.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not worth it, if you don’t road trip a lot! Bill P
The price difference I've usually seen is $0.10/kWh. That makes it a 130 kWh break-even. Basically 2-3 typical road trip charges. If someone is planning to use mostly SCs on a lengthy road trip, might be worth it. But it sounds like you probably have to give up Plug&Charge and activate through the Tesla app instead to use the discount.

I haven't checked to see if the Tesla membership discount can be turned on/off on a monthly basis like EA Pass+.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
Yeah, that is not a big surprise. I am amazed the few times I have use the Tesla Supercharging network..they know exactly who I am, what I drive and were my credit cards are. ( almost bought a Mach-e, but the day before we were going to test drive one, my order for a Tesla Model 3 came in...3 months ahead of what I was originally told. Maybe in 3 years we will try a Mach-e...why not!
i think you quoted the wrong message, but...

i had a M3P before the mach-e and i actually really like the mach-e a lot more. i was worried about the quality issues and HVBJB issues but so far i've had zero true problems with the car... just dumb stuff like the tailgait acting weird and inability to set up PAAK initially. with prices so far down i was actually thinking about going and getting another MME, but i think i probably need to keep one hybrid car around, so probably should just stay with what i've got.

the tesla plug-n-charge never failed for me (as opposed to EA which fails every time), but at least all the videos i've watched of people charging MMEs at superchargers, it seems to have worked almost every time.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do Tesla owners get free membership? Remember Elon opened chargers to get tax payer money, so if pricing isn't equal there will be lawsuits.
Tesla isn't getting any NEVI (or other) government funding for opening up SCs to non-Teslas. Not for the V3s anyway. They might for future V4s deployments.

Tesla owners don't need a membership per se, but it does act the same way. Tesla vehicles simply get the favorable rate automatically. The non-Tesla rate is usually a dime higher. That's a much smarter method than VW giving 3 years of free unlimited at EA, for instance.

son of a swen

First Name
Eric Swenson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
So you think there are no costs to run a charging network beyond the cost of electricity? They're likely not making money at those rates either. They need to pay for the capital investments of the chargers, installing them and the electric hookup. Add in ongoing costs associated with the land (lease or taxes), maintenance, etc. Considering chargers spend most of their time (with today's demand) not plugged in to a car and when they are in use, they're getting about $20 revenue for 25-30 minutes of use, there's not a whole lot of volume to make money at those margins even without expenses.
OK..I will bow down.

son of a swen

First Name
Eric Swenson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
i think you quoted the wrong message, but...

i had a M3P before the mach-e and i actually really like the mach-e a lot more. i was worried about the quality issues and HVBJB issues but so far i've had zero true problems with the car... just dumb stuff like the tailgait acting weird and inability to set up PAAK initially. with prices so far down i was actually thinking about going and getting another MME, but i think i probably need to keep one hybrid car around, so probably should just stay with what i've got.

the tesla plug-n-charge never failed for me (as opposed to EA which fails every time), but at least all the videos i've watched of people charging MMEs at superchargers, it seems to have worked almost every time.
Nice, thanks.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
can you share the check order status URL? although i seemed to have placed the order/reservation, and a ford CSR gave me a reservation #, i still haven't seen any email, thus i don't know how to see if ford's servers really think i made the reservation. nor do i have any idea of an estimated ship date.

thanks
Unfortunately I don't think it will help - it's a generic URL (click.msg.ford.com) plus a massive query string. In my case it even redirects to ford.ca since I'm in Canada.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag