Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Leviton has apparently been aware of the failures of their $15 receptacles when used for EV charging. They have a new “EV” model that sells for about $50.
Ford Mustang Mach-E New Leviton 14-50 receptacle IMG_0823
Sponsored

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
I don't like that they're not showing the back, where the wires attach. The wires should be cradled like in the Hubbell design, not squished by a screw. Meanwhile the Hubbell outlet is going for $64.99 on Amazon right now, albeit without the cute cartoon EV car.

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't like that they're not showing the back, where the wires attach. The wires should be cradled like in the Hubbell design, not squished by a screw. Meanwhile the Hubbell outlet is going for $64.99 on Amazon right now, albeit without the cute cartoon EV car.
The torque specs are 75 IN-LBS, it almost has to be a saddle clamp. But I agree, I’d like to see it.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
They are calling for 75 in lbs.. Safe to say they aren't using a screw at those torque values. I would bet good money the design is robust like Hubbell's. And at that price, it would probably be a good alternative option if it's going to be made more accessible.

edit: whoops guess I should have kept scrolling to see @Maquis already concluded the same.

AngryMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OLD 2021 Select , NEW 2023 GT...RED !
Occupation
Living the good life
Country flag
Leviton has apparently been aware of the failures of their $15 receptacles when used for EV charging. They have a new “EV” model that sells for about $50.
Is it actually new or just a rebranded version of the failed ones ?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The real question is whether they’ve upgraded their 6-50R. 🤪🐩

FWIW, I have been using a Leviton surface-mount 6-50R for 10 years with no issues. 🤷‍♂️🐩

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it actually new or just a rebranded version of the failed ones ?
It is different. If you look at the front view, the contact areas in the slots are full-length. The old ones had a half-length contact on the right side of each slot. The 70 in-lbs torque spec would point to a more robust wire terminal.

I won’t go as far to say it will perform as well as the Hubble/Bryant until we get some reports of actual use.

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Preimium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
IMG_0823.jpeg
Be aware... When I installed a 14-50 receptacle for my Mach E charger it didn't pass inspection because it didn't have GFCI protection at the breaker panel. That type of breaker is over 400 dollars and I hear they don't work very well with plug in car chargers or the Ford car charger because they trip a lot or have melting issues from bad connections. (the tension on the metal plug gets worn and makes poor contact over time) Instead I spent about the same amount of money for a better charger, a 48 Amp Charge Point charger that is hard wired and has built in circuit protection. Passed inspection and works with no problems and no unexpected circuit tripping or fire hazard.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Glad to see Leviton has realized their cheap units aren't up to the job and that there is a market for EV-rated outlets.

AngryMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OLD 2021 Select , NEW 2023 GT...RED !
Occupation
Living the good life
Country flag
Be aware... When I installed a 14-50 receptacle for my Mach E charger it didn't pass inspection because it didn't have GFCI protection at the breaker panel. That type of breaker is over 400 dollars and I hear they don't work very well with plug in car chargers or the Ford car charger because they trip a lot or have melting issues from bad connections. (the tension on the metal plug gets worn and makes poor contact over time) Instead I spent about the same amount of money for a better charger, a 48 Amp Charge Point charger that is hard wired and has built in circuit protection. Passed inspection and works with no problems and no unexpected circuit tripping or fire hazard. from a plug in type charger.
I can verify the tripping . Been there. Done that .STILL doing that ! ChargePoint but not hardwired . Sometimes it will go for weeks without tripping after a charge . I thought it could have something to do with the clothes dryer but it tripped this week without a laundry load ...BACK TO THE LAB !🤓
Sponsored