TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Last 3 times I've had it plugged in waiting for scheduled charge to start, it has not started. I get a FP notification that charge did not start as well as the red ring. Unplug, plug back in and it starts charging as it should. No messages in the car.

This is a new issue for me. No recent updates that I'm aware of anyway.
Sponsored

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
By red ring, do I presume that you are using a Chargepoint EVSE?

I use the HomeFlex EVSE, and I schedule my charges using the Chargepoint phone app. The Chargepoint app recognizes my utilities EV TOU plan and schedules for off peak times. In the Fordpass app, I set my Home preferred charge times for "anytime."

The advantage I also find with this setup is that since I have a solar array, if I'm home in the late afternoon and I want to trickle charge for free, I can just plug in the Ford EVSE to my 110 outlet and add a few electrons. Not a compelling reason for this arrangement though.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Referring to the ring on the car. Using a GrizzlE EVSE which is working as it should, no error blinking lights. Car is scheduled to start charging to 90% at 9pm. Last 3 times it did not start at 9pm and when I went out to check on it the car had the red ring. Unplug and re-plug and charging start.

Seems to have started after FP was updated to 4.17.0, I don't think this is the issue but it's the only recent change

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
UPDATE:

Plugged in yesterday at around 40% and car started charging at scheduled time with no issues.

guess I just had a short term bug 🤷‍♂️

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Had it once last week. Replugged, worked great.
After going through the stop now issue, I did get slightly nervous so working after pulling the plug out and putting back in was a relief!

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
My problem is that the car will start charging but stops after 25-35 min. Charge handle is very warm. Also having problems with DCFC charging. Took several attempts to get it going. It would connect to the car, but would not start the charge cycle.

I called tech support at Enelx for my JuceBox Pro-40 EVSE. He said the EVSE received a signal from the MME to stop charging and that it was more than likely a car issue.

Contacted Ford support. Spoke with a tech and he thought the charge port may need replacement, but I would have to go to the dealership for more testing.

Setting up an appointment.

Jim

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My problem is that the car will start charging but stops after 25-35 min. Charge handle is very warm. Also having problems with DCFC charging. Took several attempts to get it going. It would connect to the car, but would not start the charge cycle.

I called tech support at Enelx for my JuceBox Pro-40 EVSE. He said the EVSE received a signal from the MME to stop charging and that it was more than likely a car issue.

Contacted Ford support. Spoke with a tech and he thought the charge port may need replacement, but I would have to go to the dealership for more testing.

Jim
Anytime things seem to be warmer than normal I would be concerned! Good luck and I hope your car can be taken care of quickly.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

Jim
Jim,
Was this issue ever resolved for you? My wife’s car is getting really weird about charging on any of my home or portable evse. Starting and just randomly stopping. Also with a slightly warm EVSE handle.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford replaced the charging connector and cable on the car. That helped quite a bit. DCFC now works with no problem.

My Juicebox-40 works much better now too. The handle was really warm before the replacement, and after the hardware change on the car it was nowhere near as warm as it was. But it was still warmer than I liked.

I did do two other things:

1. I installed a much better NEMA 14-50R than the one I originally purchased at Home Depot. It was showing signs of overheating. If you do this, make sure you buy their cover plate, as the original one I had would not fit. It was worth the $100. Amazon info:

Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems 50 A, Industrial, Receptacle, Black, No Tamper Resistant HBL9450A

2. I cut back the output amperage on the Juicebox-40 from 40 amps (9.6 kWh) to 35 amps (8.4 kWh). It is a minimal increase to the charge time but it cut the temp at the charging handle to about 100 degrees. I only did this because when I use the Ford supplied EVSE at 32 amps, there is never an issue with heat.

I am fine with how it is working now. It starts at the time I have set, charges at 8.4 kWh until it reaches my pre-set max of 90% and powers off. I go out and check the temp now and then just to see if anything has changed. But it has been months now and it is fine.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Ford replaced the charging connector and cable on the car. That helped quite a bit. DCFC now works with no problem.

My Juicebox-40 works much better now too. The handle was really warm before the replacement, and after the hardware change on the car it was nowhere near as warm as it was. But it was still warmer than I liked.

I did do two other things:

1. I installed a much better NEMA 14-50R than the one I originally purchased at Home Depot. It was showing signs of overheating. If you do this, make sure you buy their cover plate, as the original one I had would not fit. It was worth the $100. Amazon info:

Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems 50 A, Industrial, Receptacle, Black, No Tamper Resistant HBL9450A

2. I cut back the output amperage on the Juicebox-40 from 40 amps (9.6 kWh) to 35 amps (8.4 kWh). It is a minimal increase to the charge time but it cut the temp at the charging handle to about 100 degrees. I only did this because when I use the Ford supplied EVSE at 32 amps, there is never an issue with heat.

I am fine with how it is working now. It starts at the time I have set, charges at 8.4 kWh until it reaches my pre-set max of 90% and powers off. I go out and check the temp now and then just to see if anything has changed. But it has been months now and it is fine.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Thank You so much for this. Pretty much where I’m at. I downrated my Grizzl-e to 32 amps and it’s charging now. Still no ring lights so I’m sure it’s the charge port. Waiting to hear back from my dealer on when I can have it assessed.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Be persistent at your dealership. They tried to blow me off on this. They have a 16A EVSE at the dealership and they told me they could not duplicate the error. I said lets go to a DCFC station and you will see that it will not initiate a charge. I also said I am charging at 40A at home and that is when the overheating problem starts. Then they told me they found a ford notice on this. After talking to Ford directly, they decided to change the charging port and attached cable.
Sponsored