Next car after Mach-E

What will be your next car that replaces your current Mach-E?

• Total voters

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My Select is now a GT, enough said. But if GM had their act together it would have been a Blazer as it can tow.
Sponsored

Thunderbuck

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
IT Tech
Country flag
I just picked up my '23 Prem/Ext a few weeks ago. And I'm planning to retire in almost exactly ten years, so I'm several years away from even thinking about my "next" car, which will likely be my last.

As it stands now, though, I could go for whatever the Mach-E turns into by then. It's a useful, stylish car that is also a pretty good EV. I would assume by then we'll see dramatic improvements in batteries and efficiency and I'd LOVE to see wireless charging start to gain some traction.

That said, it's still very early days in the EV world. Still lots of room for a surprise to come along.

OP
OP
stealthytolkien

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I just picked up my '23 Prem/Ext a few weeks ago. And I'm planning to retire in almost exactly ten years, so I'm several years away from even thinking about my "next" car, which will likely be my last.

As it stands now, though, I could go for whatever the Mach-E turns into by then. It's a useful, stylish car that is also a pretty good EV. I would assume by then we'll see dramatic improvements in batteries and efficiency and I'd LOVE to see wireless charging start to gain some traction.

That said, it's still very early days in the EV world. Still lots of room for a surprise to come along.
I wish you all the health and financial luck in achieving this goal. Ten years. You’re so close!

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2017 Outback, 2010 Jetta
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
My 3 year options is up in June. My car will be worth less than the buyout. I explored upgrading to a GTPE but I'd really have to move now to get a deal that would make sense but then sitting on my current car for 3.5 months to let Ford take the depreciation hit just didn't add up. I really like my Mach E but wish it had a less bouncy ride and, less importantly, a better audio system.

So I have test driven:
  • C40 Twin - FUN! Android Automotive is nice! But a little too small for us and "not me."
  • Genesis GV70 Electrified - Plush, nice vehicle, a ton of power. Exterior dimensions almost exactly the same as Mach E. I was really expecting this to be "the one" but because it's an electrified ICE vehicle, interior space efficiency is poor relative to ground-up EV designs. Coming from the Mach E, I didn't feel it. I probably would have loved it if I hadn't had the Mach E after my 2012 Genesis Sedan.
  • Cadillac Lyriq - Ride is good, Lux 2 AKG audio is pretty good but I can't afford a Lux 2; Lux 1 audio is a significant downgrade from the Mach E B&O. It's BIG - as in barely fits in the garage big and entry/exit would be problematic. Android Automotive is a big plus but it seems like I'd be repeating the early adoption process and a Lyriq in 2024 just isn't as compelling a Mach E in 2021 was.
  • Genesis GV60 - exterior dimensions smaller than the Mach E but interior seem pretty darn close, lack of a serious frunk notwithstanding. B&O audio is significantly better than our B&O audio. Shorter range but that's not a factor for me. Ride in the advanced is similar to Mach E but without what my wife calls "the after-bounce." It has buttons for HVAC! I think they've gotten a lot of things right although the do some silly things the Mach E does better. This will probably be my next vehicle, hopefully a Performance trim with active suspension and a MarioKart Mushroom button on the steering wheel.
  • BMW iX - insanely attractive lease deals got me to the dealer - who wouldn't want a $90k BMW for roughly the same lease as a GV60 Performance? Me, apparently. It insulated us from bumps better than anything else I drove, I think. But felt floaty in an odd, unpleasant way. BMW reinvented the wheel - literally - and the angles of their semi-octagonal wheel did not suit me. I didn't jump through the hoops to set up Wireless AA and it doesn't support wired AA, which is how I've been able to judge every other vehicle's implementation quickly and easily. The audio UI was frustrating and I found the control knob to be exceptionally awkward. I loved the control knobs in the GV70, GV60, and Lyriq. I used a USB stick with high resolution audio files I'm familiar with and while it clearly had more power than our Mach E B&O, it just sounded /off/ to me. All of the superior specs on paper just didn't add up to a superior experience IMO.
So come June, I'm aiming for a GV60 Performance but I'd absolutely recommend the(X)C40 for somebody comfortable with something a little smaller and dynamic - it was quicker than my 4x for sure and if I was 10 years younger, might have beat the GV60 for me. The Lyriq was the opposite end of the spectrum and if I had a bigger garage, more disposable income, and a little more history I think I'd enjoy it.

OP
OP
stealthytolkien

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 3 year options is up in June. My car will be worth less than the buyout. I explored upgrading to a GTPE but I'd really have to move now to get a deal that would make sense but then sitting on my current car for 3.5 months to let Ford take the depreciation hit just didn't add up. I really like my Mach E but wish it had a less bouncy ride and, less importantly, a better audio system.

So I have test driven:
  • C40 Twin - FUN! Android Automotive is nice! But a little too small for us and "not me."
  • Genesis GV70 Electrified - Plush, nice vehicle, a ton of power. Exterior dimensions almost exactly the same as Mach E. I was really expecting this to be "the one" but because it's an electrified ICE vehicle, interior space efficiency is poor relative to ground-up EV designs. Coming from the Mach E, I didn't feel it. I probably would have loved it if I hadn't had the Mach E after my 2012 Genesis Sedan.
  • Cadillac Lyriq - Ride is good, Lux 2 AKG audio is pretty good but I can't afford a Lux 2; Lux 1 audio is a significant downgrade from the Mach E B&O. It's BIG - as in barely fits in the garage big and entry/exit would be problematic. Android Automotive is a big plus but it seems like I'd be repeating the early adoption process and a Lyriq in 2024 just isn't as compelling a Mach E in 2021 was.
  • Genesis GV60 - exterior dimensions smaller than the Mach E but interior seem pretty darn close, lack of a serious frunk notwithstanding. B&O audio is significantly better than our B&O audio. Shorter range but that's not a factor for me. Ride in the advanced is similar to Mach E but without what my wife calls "the after-bounce." It has buttons for HVAC! I think they've gotten a lot of things right although the do some silly things the Mach E does better. This will probably be my next vehicle, hopefully a Performance trim with active suspension and a MarioKart Mushroom button on the steering wheel.
  • BMW iX - insanely attractive lease deals got me to the dealer - who wouldn't want a $90k BMW for roughly the same lease as a GV60 Performance? Me, apparently. It insulated us from bumps better than anything else I drove, I think. But felt floaty in an odd, unpleasant way. BMW reinvented the wheel - literally - and the angles of their semi-octagonal wheel did not suit me. I didn't jump through the hoops to set up Wireless AA and it doesn't support wired AA, which is how I've been able to judge every other vehicle's implementation quickly and easily. The audio UI was frustrating and I found the control knob to be exceptionally awkward. I loved the control knobs in the GV70, GV60, and Lyriq. I used a USB stick with high resolution audio files I'm familiar with and while it clearly had more power than our Mach E B&O, it just sounded /off/ to me. All of the superior specs on paper just didn't add up to a superior experience IMO.
So come June, I'm aiming for a GV60 Performance but I'd absolutely recommend the(X)C40 for somebody comfortable with something a little smaller and dynamic - it was quicker than my 4x for sure and if I was 10 years younger, might have beat the GV60 for me. The Lyriq was the opposite end of the spectrum and if I had a bigger garage, more disposable income, and a little more history I think I'd enjoy it.
Just starting a healthy discussion. Good post.

Why not a Model X or a Y?

If you read my post half a page above, you’ll know why I don’t like Teslas (not big reasons some would say, but important for me), but I’m just wondering why you’d go with all these first generation EVs (some of these brands are also regarded as fairly average on general reliability reputation and are extremely pricey) rather than a solid 2023 Tesla that has its EV part pretty much perfected and it will retain value better than most other brands if you buy one that’s 2022 or newer.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'd love to stick with Ford, but they can't seem to figure out the software thing even after 3 years. Time and patience has run out with Ford's "Soon". You could spend your entire lease or loan period waiting for an update to fix an issue. Look how long the frunk button took for early 2021s.

If the customer experience mattered, Ford would have created a program for dealers to update all early EVs to the latest software free of charge to bypass shortcomings with their OTA process. And the UI improvements we've long asked for would have been implemented in months, not years.
Ford does have a program for dealers to upgrade the software free of charge, the problem is that it is limited to certain dealers.

my dealer in NY is part of that program. I have no idea how many others are.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford does have a program for dealers to upgrade the software free of charge, the problem is that it is limited to certain dealers.

my dealer in NY is part of that program. I have no idea how many others are.
There’s only a handful, so consider yourself lucky. It was supposed to expand to all EV dealers, but was put on hold indefinitely from what I understand. Management just needs to push through the chaos and say YES. If there’s a bad update, it’s not hard to tell dealers to skip the bad one and do all the rest.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
i'm really glad i don't need to make this decision in the next year or so. chose the "Another EV that is not a Mach-E or Tesla" option mainly as i expect a LOT of options to be available in 3 years when i'll look next. i'll enjoy the Mach-E while i have it and then enjoy the R3X next one. 😎

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Such a bummer to hear all the “this is my last car” comments. Did financial advisors revise the “end of plan” dates or something? What’s driving all this pessimism?

music_cities

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022 GT
Country flag
I last bought a new car 19 years ago and it has 350,000km on it. I'm hoping this MachE also lasts 19 years and 350,000km.

I already know I can't go back to an ICE car. A couple of weeks ago I worked at the "Plug N Drive" event at the Calgary Auto Show where we got to drive 15 BEVs and 4 PHEV around a short indoor track. There are some great cars and trucks out there now, but unless my lifestyle changes to warrant a truck (Hummer, Lightning) or I win a big lottery (Porsche Taycan) there's nothing out there right now that's better for me than the MachE. In terms of overall brand appeal, Kia and Hyundai are both growing on me, so we'll have to see what they bring out in the next couple of decades. I don't currently like Teslas very much, and have never tried a BYD, but who knows what the future will bring.

OP
OP
stealthytolkien

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I last bought a new car 19 years ago and it has 350,000km on it. I'm hoping this MachE also lasts 19 years and 350,000km.

I already know I can't go back to an ICE car. A couple of weeks ago I worked at the "Plug N Drive" event at the Calgary Auto Show where we got to drive 15 BEVs and 4 PHEV around a short indoor track. There are some great cars and trucks out there now, but unless my lifestyle changes to warrant a truck (Hummer, Lightning) or I win a big lottery (Porsche Taycan) there's nothing out there right now that's better for me than the MachE. In terms of overall brand appeal, Kia and Hyundai are both growing on me, so we'll have to see what they bring out in the next couple of decades. I don't currently like Teslas very much, and have never tried a BYD, but who knows what the future will bring.
What car did you buy 19 years ago?

Also it is scary to do the math and find out that 2005 was a whopping 19 years ago and I can recite exactly what happened in my life then as if it were last year. Humbling reminder of aging.

EDIT: It is surprisingly how I think like you. I have driven close to 30 cars in 2022 and 2023 and found that a used 450H and a barely used MachE was the best combo for our household. 450H gets us the space, reliability, and convenience. And Mach E GT performance gives me the quick maneuverability around town while giving me goosebumps as I take off from a red light off hours lol.

Both cars are loaded with safety and luxury features that no other cars in this price point came even close! EV or non EV.

Last edited:

music_cities

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022 GT
Country flag
What car did you buy 19 years ago?

Also it is scary to do the math and find out that 2005 was a whopping 19 years ago and I can recite exactly what happened in my life then as if it were last year. Humbling reminder of aging.

EDIT: It is surprisingly how I think like you. I have driven close to 30 cars in 2022 and 2023 and found that a used 450H and a barely used MachE was the best combo for our household. 450H gets us the space, reliability, and convenience. And Mach E GT performance gives me the quick maneuverability around town while giving me goosebumps as I take off from a red light off hours lol.

Both cars are loaded with safety and luxury features that no other cars in this price point came even close! EV or non EV.
The 2005 is a 4Runner and it’s been amazing. I don’t really expect any car to be as reliable as the 4Runner has been. I had a 1979 Ford Fairmont in the 1990s that was terrible on reliability and before that I drove my dad’s Ford Meteor which was also old by the time I got it, so my ancient irrelevant experience with Ford Motor Company leads me to not expect reliability. But, most of the problems I’ve had with my old vehicles are engine or drive train issues that are irrelevant for an EV.

Deciding to keep the 4Runner and move up to a 2-vehicle household was actually important in our decision to buy a smaller (5 seat) EV. We figured if we ever needed more space or wanted to do a road trip without public charging, or if the wife and I ever needed to drive to different places at the same time, we could still drive the 4Runner. But it hasn’t worked that way — the old 4Runner just sits around lonely until it’s 12V battery dies, then I jump start it and drive it into the garage overnight so I can trickle charge it. I just take Uber or walk or ride my bike if we have simultaneous events. I guess we should sell it.

OP
OP
stealthytolkien

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The 2005 is a 4Runner and it’s been amazing. I don’t really expect any car to be as reliable as the 4Runner has been. I had a 1979 Ford Fairmont in the 1990s that was terrible on reliability and before that I drove my dad’s Ford Meteor which was also old by the time I got it, so my ancient irrelevant experience with Ford Motor Company leads me to not expect reliability. But, most of the problems I’ve had with my old vehicles are engine or drive train issues that are irrelevant for an EV.

Deciding to keep the 4Runner and move up to a 2-vehicle household was actually important in our decision to buy a smaller (5 seat) EV. We figured if we ever needed more space or wanted to do a road trip without public charging, or if the wife and I ever needed to drive to different places at the same time, we could still drive the 4Runner. But it hasn’t worked that way — the old 4Runner just sits around lonely until it’s 12V battery dies, then I jump start it and drive it into the garage overnight so I can trickle charge it. I just take Uber or walk or ride my bike if we have simultaneous events. I guess we should sell it.
Yup! Let go! it served you well! :)

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2017 Outback, 2010 Jetta
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Just starting a healthy discussion. Good post.

Why not a Model X or a Y?

If you read my post half a page above, you’ll know why I don’t like Teslas (not big reasons some would say, but important for me), but I’m just wondering why you’d go with all these first generation EVs (some of these brands are also regarded as fairly average on general reliability reputation and are extremely pricey) rather than a solid 2023 Tesla that has its EV part pretty much perfected and it will retain value better than most other brands if you buy one that’s 2022 or newer.
In a discussion elsewhere about whether Elon Musk cost Tesla any sales, I wrote this:

I didn't even need to drive a Model Y in 2021 when I bought my Mach E. Its styling, screen-dominated interface, reported production quality issues, and the sheer banality of owning a Tesla in this area were enough to ignore it back then but 2021 Musk didn't help.​
2024 Musk? That's a giant Nope for my whole household.​

I will say it's very easy for me to Nope Tesla because Musk when the vehicles themselves are mostly the opposite of what I want and/or need in a vehicle.

I think Ford, Volvo, and Hyundai/Kia/Genesis are (or were) serious about EVs in a way that Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Stellantis, etc, etc are not. I think GM....means well...but are behind at the moment?
Sponsored