First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
The conclusion from the link below:

“In view of the recall action taken by Ford, ODI (Office of Defects Investigations) is closing this investigation,” the agency wrote of its decision. “ODI will continue to monitor reports of this failure in both extended range and standard range models. The Agency reserves the right to take additional action if warranted by future circumstances. To review the ODI reports cited in the Closing Resume ODI Report Identification Number document, go to NHTSA.gov.”

https://fordauthority.com/2023/12/2021-2022-ford-mustang-mach-e-nhtsa-investigation-closed/
Sponsored

PedroDaGr8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium (First Edition)
Country flag
Not surprising, the NHTSA had enough data in the monitoring phase to know the software "fix" wasn't enough. Since they don't have sufficient data on the HVBJB replacements, they go back to monitoring the effectiveness. If this fails monitoring then they will open a new investigation, one which won't be nearly as simple.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
However, in October, Ford issued another recall acknowledging that these updates weren’t entirely effective, and instead, instructed dealers to replace the Bussed Electrical Center, or High Voltage Battery Junction Box. The NHTSA ultimately determined that this action was sufficient in rectifying the high-voltage contractor overheating issue, and as such, decided to close its investigation as a result.

This means most of us will have a future appointment at a Ford Dealership to replace the Bussed Electrical Center or...High Voltage Battery Junction Box. I assume software modifications may also be included.

helium89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Country flag
Well, my new HVBJB seems to be holding up pretty well so far. The additional news that the new hardware + software is good enough for the NHTSA gives me some added peace-of-mind.
The NHTSA’s standard for good enough is “won’t lose motive power while on the road,” so this is more an indication that they are confident that the new part won’t fail catastrophically than it is an indication of overall reliability.

Coffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Explorer, Busa
Country flag
Anyone had a recall letter over this? Haven't heard diddly squat.

GT-Papa

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT
Country flag
So now everyone just waits for Ford to make a bunch of new HVBJBs and distribute them to remedy 23S56. Any bets on how long that will be?

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
You asked Anyone had a recall letter over this? Haven't heard diddly squat.

Yes. I received a letter dated November 2023 fpr Safety Recall Notice 23S56/HHTSA Recall 23V687

Not all vehicles are impacted, I recall. I'd check your online account, I confirmed it shows on my account.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
So now everyone just waits for Ford to make a bunch of new HVBJBs and distribute them to remedy 23S56. Any bets on how long that will be?
I wouldn't hazard a guess. But even if not rrquired by NHTSA, I still wonder whether we'll get a beefier/upgraded part. Can't wait for a 2024 ER/GT to be torn down to see if there were any HVBJB changes.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I’m more concerned about the time to book appointments with dealers once the parts are available. They seem to be stretched as is.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have not stressed my remanufactured HVBJB yet (or my Eibach bars). My tires are getting pretty low on tread and I have a few months to wait until my new wheels get here. Then it will be play time (I hope). 🤪🐩

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford was ordered to recall the affected vehicles. Case closed, no surprise here. That's what happens after the sentence is handed down.
So it would seem to me that the HVBJB that Ford has been installing since May 25th 2022 must be satisfactory enough to meet HNTSA’s safety requirements. Otherwise I would think they would have waited to see how any “new” part performed before closing the investigation. My GT is still on the original HVBJB and my guess is mostly due to minimal hi-way driving and colder temps. Not really worried about it either but it does seem odd that it has been a couple of months now with no further update from Ford.
Sponsored