Official: $3.5B Ford LFP Battery Plant Coming to Michigan. Mach-E Receives LFP Batteries This Year! [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
They are licensing an LFP-building process from China, not installing Chinese components. It's VA that made a bad business decision rejecting the plant possibly being built there.
That news on VA rejecting the plant was actually disputed by both VA and Ford after it was leaked to the press by an anonymous source.

On topic, I don't see this as great news. LFP is nothing but a stop gap to increase production volume. While the greater durability and cheaper materials are a nice trait, the energy density and cold weather performance are a big downside. Most people buy cars that will meet the majority of their needs throughout the time they own the car. Selling a cheaper EV that lower income people can afford (people without the means to buy both a short trip and a long trip car and who are also likely to be highly dependent on public chargers), but which falls short of their needs either does not create a sale or it leaves a bad impression on them of what an EV is.
Sponsored

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
O
That news on VA rejecting the plant was actually disputed by both VA and Ford after it was leaked to the press by an anonymous source.

On topic, I don't see this as great news. LFP is nothing but a stop gap to increase production volume. While the greater durability and cheaper materials are a nice trait, the energy density and cold weather performance are a big downside. Most people buy cars that will meet the majority of their needs throughout the time they own the car. Selling a cheaper EV that lower income people can afford (people without the means to buy both a short trip and a long trip car and who are also likely to be highly dependent on public chargers), but which falls short of their needs either does not create a sale or it leaves a bad impression on them of what an EV is.
If both deny it, then so be it. It doesn't really matter anyway.

I return to the fact that Tesla has been using these batteries for some time now and I have not heard anything about Tesla owners up here in Minnesota complaining that they are experiencing poor cold weather performance. Please point me to a source that says they are if you know of one. I would be interested to read it

As an aside directed at no one in particular, the amount of doom and gloom on this forum about every change, update, etc. is remarkable. Why do so many assume the worst about something that has not even happened yet, especially when there is an example on the road right now that seems to be having no problem? They just announced this 2 days ago! Let's wait for more information before we pass judgement.

Jwt09147

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awaiting '23 Mach E
Country flag
I keep reading "cheaper" "More affordable". Does anyone know how much the MSRP is expected to drop? is this going to drop the MME with LFP Batteries under 40k? or is it gonna stay remotely the same and just make the MME more profitable for Ford?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

I agree that LFP isn't great for car use, however it is just about perfect for stationary storage use where its positives can shine and it's negatives don't matter as much. Once cars move on from LFP, this factory should have no issues cranking out grid storage batteries or home backup solutions if it can't be easily retooled.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I keep reading "cheaper" "More affordable". Does anyone know how much the MSRP is expected to drop? is this going to drop the MME with LFP Batteries under 40k? or is it gonna stay remotely the same and just make the MME more profitable for Ford?
When this story appeared on CNBC, the reporter mentioned that LFP batteries are about 10 to 15 percent cheaper than regular batteries. I don’t think we’re going to see a big drop in the price of the Mach-Es that are equipped with the LFP batteries.

Jwt09147

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Awaiting '23 Mach E
Country flag
When this story appeared on CNBC, the reporter mentioned that LFP batteries are about 10 to 15 percent cheaper than regular batteries. I don’t think we’re going to see a big drop in the price of the Mach-Es that are equipped with the LFP batteries.
So if its not gonna drop much wouldnt the original batterys be more appealing? Im under the impression that it original battery has a longer range.

Last edited:

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
Name-calling? Sheesh. If I am the "schmuck" to whom you refer, I am doing some research, but I am also not an engineer or chemist, so I am not going to rely on a bunch of negative forum posts from people whom I suspect largely are not engineers or chemists, either. I'm also not this guy:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Official: $3.5B Ford LFP Battery Plant Coming to Michigan. Mach-E Receives LFP Batteries This Year! [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] do-your-own-research

What I do know is the following:
  1. Tesla has been using LFP batteries in some models for a while now, and they sell their cars in Minnesota and elsewhere where occasional extreme cold is the norm during the winter months. Are there problems with these batteries in the cold? I have not found any concrete information about this either way, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find if there were.
  2. The initial batteries will be Chinese-made and likely will be the new, 3rd generation LFP batteries that were announced last summer for introduction this year. They haven't been tested or evaluated for consumers thus far, or at least as far as I have been able to find. Whether or not they are better is right now an unknown.
So, I will wait for more information about the new LFP batteries' performance in the cold from people whose job it is to evaluate these things and report their findings, and from Ford engineers who have to have considered how these batteries will perform where temperatures drop below 0 degrees C. It would be the height of incompetence if they had not. Perhaps Ford will continue to install NCM in US regions and countries where temperatures drop below this level. If so, where do they draw that dividing line? I'm sure more information will be forthcoming from both camps. Time will tell.

If Ford holds to their Spring schedule for putting LFPs in the Mach-e, we'll certainly know when March Build Week EVs are delivered as to whether LFP or NCM batteries are being shipped to colder climates, as those people will report that information on this forum. Only then I will decide on a course of action as to whether to accept delivery on a car that I won't likely see until June 2023.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
So if its not gonna drop much wouldnt the original batterys be more appealing? Im under the impression that it original battery has a longer range.
A Mach-E with a 70 kWh (usable) battery will have a rated range of about 220 miles regardless of battery chemistry.
The issue is that the 70 kWh LFP battery will be physically larger than the existing battery.

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yes, pretty sure they're not going to change the battery pack on your order without your consent. If you have a build week you're already locked in with a NCM pack. I would expect it to be an option added to the order guide in the spring. I don't think it would replace the standard range pack quite yet, but I'm not sure. LFP will likely be a lower cost and lower range option than the standard range pack.
And it also depends on what was ordered right? If an extended range battery with AWD was ordered, then the LFP might not even be an option for that configuration. As per the video that was shared, the LFP seems to be only for the standard range etc.

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I do have standard range, I am assuming that if they make this change that the MSRP would drop? I have ordered the MME Premium RWD and unfortunately I would not end up getting it if they make this change. For me I cant justify buying a 51k car that would potentially be less than 200 mile range. Again I know nothing about batteries, I am just looking into all of this to see how it would effect me. Thank you for the information and advice!

FYI I am also a High School Teacher (Math)
If they do change the battery for your order, you should for sure receive the revised price as well

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since this thread has gone off-topic, I will pose an off-topic question. How to apply to work at the Blue Oval Battery Park Michigan? My grandson lives near Marshall.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles