On the Fence after watching Mach E's thermal system nightmare

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The road trip thing I'm feeling. I still love my car and it may become wife's car, but I messed around with ABRP and different cars.

Ev6, id4, model y, r1t all get to my destination quicker

Next ev will be one I go for speed on and I hope Ford still can do some updates to help the curve
R1T? When I compare the RIT quad motor to the Mach-E GT on a 1070mi route down the east coast, the vehicles are within 2 minutes of each other (6hrs 21m vs 6hrs 19m).
Sponsored

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
You should also know that MY is cheaper by a lot and has a better residual value. I would not completely dismiss the MY without driving it first. I like my MME, but if I were to make the decision today, it’ll definitely be a MY.
insurance is a decent amount more expensive on a model Y, also a factor.

Miteleets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 mustang conv. Mach E PE
Country flag
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 23 Mach E Premium with extended range battery, but I just watch Sandy Munro's comparison of the Mach E's thermal system nightmare vs, the Model Y. In addition I am concerned about downtime with HVBJB and other issues. Is this all blown out of proportion? Would you buy another Mach E knowing what you know now? Thanks in advance
Also really look close at the fit and finish of the Tesla vs Mach E. You will see and hear the difference in quality when test driving both.. Mach E won in my research!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I am in a unique scenario from a lot of people. I traded in my 2016 Charger Hellcat for my 2023 MME GTPE edition. This vehicle is meant to be an in town driver, maybe mid range, that's it. I would never replace my ICE engine vehicles with an all electric for road trips. My TRX is meant for long road trips, 2022 Bronco is meant for fun. Between all 3, I have all bases covered. The MME GTPE is legit and way more fun to drive than the hellcat. To each their own.
You definitely have your bases covered! We're happy to hear that Mach-E is at the top of your list. Thank you for being part of the Ford Family.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also really look close at the fit and finish of the Tesla vs Mach E. You will see and hear the difference in quality when test driving both.. Mach E won in my research!
Test drove a Tesla a year ago. The drivers door was misaligned and there were unidentified rattles. The salesman advisor tole me that the car was a demo and the car I would purchase would have none of those flaws.
I like how the official ford account avoided all of the feedback posts for the car and chose the only post where someone said something nice 🤣
What company wouldn't? I doubt if anyone here is really surprised.

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
One thing that you don’t hear a lot about is the way Tesla's main screen is formatted. The fonts are small and the colors are low contrast, both of which make it difficult or impossible to read without glasses for those who need them for reading. According to this forum, a majority of owners appear to be of a generation that, like me, require reading glasses. I cannot read the Tesla screen without glasses but am fine reading the Mach e screen, which is a fantastic feature.

Ford did this right. It may be as fancy or fast as Tesla's, but most people can read everything on it without having to find and put on reading glasses, which is not only annoying but dangerous while driving. I hope Ford never changes this feature. I also agree that my MME is the best car I’ve ever owned and I have a 2021 job 1 premium AWD ex., and still on the original HVBJB. The car has not been flawless (nothing is these days), but it’s been 100% reliable and nearly 100% fixed by OTAs.

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
R1T? When I compare the RIT quad motor to the Mach-E GT on a 1070mi route down the east coast, the vehicles are within 2 minutes of each other (6hrs 21m vs 6hrs 19m).
Was looking at dual motor

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 23 Mach E Premium with extended range battery, but I just watch Sandy Munro's comparison of the Mach E's thermal system nightmare vs, the Model Y. In addition I am concerned about downtime with HVBJB and other issues. Is this all blown out of proportion? Would you buy another Mach E knowing what you know now? Thanks in advance
It may bene
Yes, as I noted, some people road trip a lot, some very little. Some go thousands of miles when they do it, others just a few hundred. Some just take their ICE car and leave the EV at home. That's all a given, and why you can't lump everyone's situation into the same boat. For many people, an EV isn't even a good fit at all. For others its great.

But your 90% comment misses the point here, because it's fine to charge NMC to 100% occasionally. Logically, that occasion is road trips. And road trips are usually the only time range matters. Locally the vast majority of people don't drive anywhere close to the range limit, which means 90% is irrelevant to both cases.
Agree. We have a college graduation in 2 weeks heading to Purdue a 7 hour trip stayong one night. Tgsts why our clsssic 06 Jeep Commander comes into action. 50k and like new . Grest for for winter with AWD seats 7 so when we arrive we all can load into one car for dinner. If I do sell it may be for a Gravity if base stay .sat $79990. I hope Lucid goes with tesla adapter.

George Knighton

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE
Occupation
Retired. I'd say it was a mid life crisis, but not many people live to 140.
Country flag
One thing that you don’t hear a lot about is the way Tesla's main screen is formatted. The fonts are small and the colors are low contrast, both of which make it difficult or impossible to read without glasses for those who need them for reading. According to this forum, a majority of owners appear to be of a generation that, like me, require reading glasses. I cannot read the Tesla screen without glasses but am fine reading the Mach e screen, which is a fantastic feature.
You are absolutely right. It's hard to read the Tesla software, and easier if not perfect on the Ford.

However, the coding on the Ford could use some optimisation. That or more memory and different processors.

There is a visible, sometimes two second delay loading a new module on the Ford, while the equivalent module on the Tesla is either remaining loaded, or loading much more quickly.

The centre screen on my 2020 Bolt EV moved faster than the 2023 Mach-E does.

SpeedRacer72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD select, 2018 Mustang
Country flag
I was well aware of the weak points of the MME compared to the Model Y. Also, the weak points of the Model Y compared to the MME. I already made one bad choice in EV with giving Toyota a chance despite the lackluster reviews. I did not want to make another. I went with the MME because I wanted the driver display, better parking assistance, closer service options to where I live, and as I felt they were comparable enough cars, I wanted the one from a company headed by someone capable of behaving in public like a decent human being. I have had mine for 4 months, and already put 12,000+ miles on it, including 5 600-900 mile (each way) road trips. No regrets at all.
So which CEO do you believe is a decent human being?

The one who just barely drove his own company's EV for the first time a couple months ago and realized that driving it is "challenging"

OR

The CEO who just gave the other EV companies (aka his competitors) his documentation on 48V architecture so they can improve their own EV's?

Ford Mustang Mach-E On the Fence after watching Mach E's thermal system nightmare 48V architecture
Ford Mustang Mach-E On the Fence after watching Mach E's thermal system nightmare farley

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
So which CEO do you believe is a decent human being?

The one who just barely drove his own company's EV for the first time a couple months ago and realized that driving it is "challenging"

OR

The CEO who just gave the other EV companies (aka his competitors) his documentation on 48V architecture so they can improve their own EV's?

Ford Mustang Mach-E On the Fence after watching Mach E's thermal system nightmare farley
I find it funny that people think that CEOs of big companies are angels as long as they don't post controversial stuff online. Fact is you have to have a certain ruthlessness to make it to that position. Just because they don't post it, doesn't make them any better/worse than the guy that does.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I find it funny that people think that CEOs of big companies are angels as long as they don't post controversial stuff online. Fact is you have to have a certain ruthlessness to make it to that position. Just because they don't post it, doesn't make them any better/worse than the guy that does.
Nah, they don't have to be angels. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to want people to try to act like civil, respectful human beings, especially when in the public eye. Our kids are watching. I wouldn't want my kids acting like Elon Musk. Would you?

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Nah, they don't have to be angels. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to want people to try to act like civil, respectful human beings, especially when in the public eye. Our kids are watching. I wouldn't want my kids acting like Elon Musk. Would you?
That's why you teach them at home. I teach my kids not to pigeon hole people. Take the good, discard the bad. Don't have a tribal mindset.

As far as Elon in particular, he is eccentric, but I appreciate that he put his money where his mouth is. You know where he stands. Up to you whether you agree with him or not. As Charles Barkley once said, "I'm not a role model." And neither is Elon.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's why you teach them at home. I teach my kids not to pigeon hole people. Take the good, discard the bad. Don't have a tribal mindset.

As far as Elon in particular, he is eccentric, but I appreciate that he put his money where his mouth is. You know where he stands. Up to you whether you agree with him or not. As Charles Barkley once said, "I'm not a role model." And neither is Elon.
Yeah, and Mussolini made the trains run on time. There is always someone willing to be an apologist for their guy. BTW, you don't pick whether you are a role model or not , society decides that. Ever hear anyone say, hey I'm now going to be a role model.
Sponsored