One Pedal Drive- Reason for Concern?

chuckles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 RWD Mustang Mach E
Country flag
is there a light deceleration setting on the 1PD
First, a disclaimer: please do these tests on a road without any obstacles or traffic.

1PD has very different throttle curve rates for the three different drive modes, so try whisper, engaged, and unbridled and see which you like.

Then for more bonus modes: try each with the L mode engaged, and either 1PD off or on. The braking force will be much lighter with 1PD off and L on, but that might be what you're looking for.

Also: although L isn't a mode you want to stay in indefinitely on an ICE car, it's just software on the MME. More details are in your owner's manual.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Muscle memory is a hard thing to overcome. I’ve been working on left foot braking since the early ‘90s and I still sometimes find myself with my left on the clutch and my right playing with the brake and the throttle. 🤔🐩

I think you did a good thing in recognizing that 1PD was perhaps the root of your issue. wishing you well in reverting to 2PD. 😊🐩

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would be interested to see if you have any issues in the future now that you have turned off OPD. Just got my car and have not begun testing it yet. My guess is I will not like it. So far I prefer to drive in Engaged mode. I actually felt Whisper mode was awesome while driving in neighborhoods with 25 mph limits. Felt silky smooth. In Unbridled mode it appears that regenerative braking occurs after removing foot from pedal. Was getting used to feathering it while easing off the electrons but still was not comfortable with the feel. Of course this is only day 3 so I have little time driving and will continue to test. Please let us know the results of your switch.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
Good thing you have recognized that personally, you are not adapting to 1PD driving the 2nd time around my friend. Glad you didn't kill or hit that bird but at the same time animals are secondary to other drivers. With that said, everyone here has been very supportive of your post and I agree with most if not all.

1PD is not for everyone but a Good new feature/option for ICE car owners making the switch to EVs. You did the RIGHT thing by turning it off after the latest incident and thanks for sharing your experiences & honesty. Many will not admit to faults or weaknesses, it is through acceptance of such things that others can assist, help, and offer advice....For some, it's professional counseling....;)

I have been driving for many years and professionally trained before retiring. Not to say I am a better driver than others but through training, our minds are taught to think through scenarios and react to certain situations.......

I have driven Teslas and have been testing the MME for the last few weeks. They are both different in the setup and how the car reacts with 1PD.

For example, per Tesla:

Warning:
Do not rely on regenerative braking and your chosen Stopping Mode to keep you and your vehicle safe. Various factors such as driving with a heavy vehicle load, on a steep hill, or on wet or icy roads affect the deceleration rate and the distance at which Model 3 will come to a stop. Drive attentively and always stay prepared to use the brake pedal to stop as appropriate based on traffic and road conditions.

From FORD:
One-Pedal Driving Mode* lets you control your Mustang Mach-E's speed using just your accelerator pedal. One pedal driving allows the vehicle to slow down or stop when you release the pedal. This helps provide a solution to switching between pedals in situations like stop-and-go traffic. You can even ease the vehicle to a stop without touching the brake in certain situations. Of course, the brake pedal is still the best way to hold the vehicle in place at a complete stop.
at

While testing 1PD, I have gotten used to how the MME stops at certain speeds and distances. I have gone over the stopping lines a few times because my speed was too fast or high & had to apply the brakes at the last minute. I am still learning the MME as it's new, both I and the Car will adapt over time. Unless you can train your mind to adapt to 1PD, you are better off leaving it o

Perhaps in the future, you can practice again in a safe environment and make use of 1PD....

Keep us posted.....

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I'm using 1pd for some driving and not using it at other times. I learned to drive (at a ranch) when I was about 6-years-old on a 2-ton Chevy C-60 flatbed manual. I drove manuals up until I started practicing for my license. My sister-in-law gave me the keys to her pickup truck with an automatic and the first thing I did was step on the brake with my left foot, slamming us to a stop. I never forgot that lesson and try to keep my skills sharp by driving as many different styles as possible.

I will switch up the 1pd setting on Mustang, will drive my pickup, and will drive other vehicles as often as possible so that I don't forget those other skills. I've found it's not just muscle memory, but contextual memory as well.

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
iPD is like, some folks love it and some don't. I never use 1PD because I like the feel of the car feeling like a regular car that I have been driving for decades. So don't worry about it, you are not the only one who is not comfortable with 1PD. Enjoy the vehicle the way you personally like to drive.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
iPD is like, some folks love it and some don't. I never use 1PD because I like the feel of the car feeling like a regular car that I have been driving for decades. So don't worry about it, you are not the only one who is not comfortable with 1PD. Enjoy the vehicle the way you personally like to drive.
Totally agree. One of the best things about the Mach-E is that we can customize the settings to our preferences. Ford did a good job with the various modes so they all operate within a safe boundary so whatever floats your boat is just fine.

For me, it isn't that I don't like 1PD......I actually like it in the Polestar 2 and the Wrangler 4xe (although the Wrangler isn't true 1PD it is better than the MME in my opinion...) I just don't like it in the MME for a variety of reasons.

I don't have exact numbers, but I bet I have come across a dozen other Mach-E owners here in my area and have struck up a conversation with half of them at least. Most don't like 1PD but some do. It seems like those that have shorter commutes do like 1PD while those that do a lot of driving don't like it as much. Not absolute of course.....just something that I've noticed as a possible trend.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
For what it’s worth, you should talk to your physician about this. It could be neurological and your age has nothing to do with it. In a stressful situation, your brain may be losing its spacial relation to where your foot is. This is very common in vehicles period, so I would be hesitant to write this off to 1PD and would have it checked out.

Just my professional opinion.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had 22 Select & 23 Lightning. 23 RT1
Country flag
I was trying out 1PD a couple of weekends ago because I wanted to see if it was different after the attempted dealer installed update. (It was slightly better...)

About 15-20 miles into my drive, I came around a curve to see cars stopped and backed up at a traffic light so I lifted off the accelerator completely and the car didn't slowdown enough so I pulled my foot back even further (apparently expecting increased braking which of course didn't happen)

I ended up using the brake pedal and it was a panic stop. I quickly turned off 1PD and resumed normal driving which I enjoy better anyway.

I know many people with these cars that do not like using 1PD. It isn't for everyone. I am glad Ford gives us a choice.
What mode were you in during 1PD?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
My thinking was the opposite of yours. Braking in my cars has been largely the same for decades (though I did drive with a standard transmission for 15 years, so not exactly the same). One reason I like the 1PD is because it is different, finally, after all these years. I figure it's healthy to exit my comfort zone sometimes.

But never forget where the brake pedal is; that could be very unhealthy!

River Rat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach Ex Iced Bue, 23 Lightning Ext SW
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Driving since age 14 (farm permit) for over 44 years (senior) and never confused the brake & accelerator.

Even driving 3 pedal (clutch) manual shift on the column shift farm pickups - never confused.

My current ride is a PHEV with similar 1PD - accelerator off means light braking, using paddles engages more....

Now I am getting slightly worried as I am getting both the MME and Lightning this year - is there a light deceleration setting on the 1PD ?....
Only done the demo but 1PB seemed natural and I didn't spend time playing with the settings.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
That poor bird… haha. This is kind of an interesting problem that most people probably won’t understand. The brain can be quite weird at times. Seems like for some reason your brain connects slowing down with the brake pedal. Maybe you need to play around with a manual to get ur brain used to engine braking.
my only issue with OPD is that it’s not 100% predictable which leads to more hard braking incidents vs my other vehicles.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
This reminds me of the Toyota Scandal of 2009. "Stuck Accelerator"
Scandal that wasn't what it seemed
For those that don't remember, people were dying thinking the cars would accelerate when the brakes were pushed. The belief now is that they were pushing the accelerator not the brake.

I learned to drive on a manual transmission and drove that for the first few years. Started driving an AUTO and I once slammed on the oversized brake pedal when I meant to press the non existent clutch... Muscle memory does affect us, however there really shouldn't be any muscle memory of "I need to brake, so I step on the accelerator" even with 1P. The brake is still the brake.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I learned to drive on a manual transmission and drove that for the first few years
So did I, and while doing so I learned to slow down by downshifting and using the engine unless it was an emergency braking or a complete stop. I guess the muscle memory is still there, and it didn't take long to get very confident with 1PD. But I still use 2PD for backing out, and I wouldn't bother to teach my wife 1PD. For some people, it's better to stick to what they know and get used to, and it's perfectly fine.
Sponsored