Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
If you bought a Mach E to coast around town, I'd say you're giving Mustang a bad name. And you didn't read my post......one pedal "coasting" is so close to actual coasting, the power difference is negligible, if any at all. But the difference in regen miles I get is not negligible. Google will tell you that too.

Ohhhhh.....just read your bio. You're posting here as some sort of expert and yet you don't even own or drive a Mach E. That explains a lot. smdh.....
Here’s my space white GT. Little bubble burst 💥

77EEA846-B0F4-4D10-BF20-240E81349DD6.jpeg
Sponsored

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
ok, I am going all nitty gritty here.. please bear with me

Lets say in 2PD:
I am driving 40 mph and I see a red light(about 100 meters) and I remove foot from accelerator, car coasts and I apply brakes at the light (lets ignore 95% regen here)

same scenario in 1PD:
I have to take the foot off the accelerator at (lets say) about 50 meters (regen)

so with 2PD, I drive 100 meters with out consuming energy(coast)
and with 1PD, the regen I got (from 50 meters) will not take me 100 meters(it may take me to 40 meters only)

So I think 2PD is efficient (because of coasting).
Imagine doing this many times while we drive.

I know I am not taking real world example, but I hope you get my point.
Feel free to point my mistakes
You do not coast in 2PD. As soon as you let off the throttle you are in regen. It is less than in 1PD but it is there. Unlike in 1PD there is, at least to me, a significant difference in the coasting regen between the modes. Then while braking, if smooth, 2PD is also 100% regen so my guess IS that there is little to no difference in efficiency between 1PD and 2PD.

BilLongua

First Name
Bil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on 2021 MME GT
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag
I don't use one pedal drive. Not got used to that sudden brake feeling.

On regular acceleration and braking,
Almost all the time I get > 90% of braking regen(I see it as a game)

I am thinking I am more efficient then 1pd (as far as regen), because I only break when I need, where as 1pd will start braking immediately to capture energy(which will slow down the car and I need energy to accelerate again)

And we all know the energy captured in regen is way less then the amount of energy we put in to accelerate.

Am right, right ?
No. But you do you.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
I'll point out that in a gas/diesel car that when you coast you are still consuming fuel. Even if you shift into Neutral, the engine is still running. At least in an EV, the power consumption, whether you are in 1-pedal or 2-pedal mode is much much much less.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
You think it’s 100% efficient which is hilarious.
For your scenarios to be reasonable, 100% efficiency would need to be possible. Coasting is 100% energy loss - you recover none of the energy you put in to gain the speed you lose. If you feather the accelerator in 1pd just enough to decelerate at the same rate as you would in neutral, you're neither gaining nor losing energy. If you decelerate faster, say in the last 25% of your coasting distance, you will regain some of the energy used. Regaining some is more efficient than regaining none.

I feel like we've had this discussion before...

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
For your scenarios to be reasonable, 100% efficiency would need to be possible. Coasting is 100% energy loss - you recover none of the energy you put in to gain the speed you lose. If you feather the accelerator in 1pd just enough to decelerate at the same rate as you would in neutral, you're neither gaining nor losing energy. If you decelerate faster, say in the last 25% of your coasting distance, you will regain some of the energy used. Regaining some is more efficient than regaining none.

So polestar says driving on the freeway in 1pd is like dragging a boat anchor around as it nearly impossible to coast. So turn it off on the Highway and only use it in the city. You do you though

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag

You are comparing apples to oranges here. If you drag the brakes with regen you will not travel as far as if you didn’t. For your scenario to be true regen would have to be 100% efficient and it’s more like 60-70%. So your using more energy to go a shorter distance dragging the brake constantly

FredFlivver

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Good feedback, I think I will have to try the 1pd.
I got used to 1-p driving fairly fast; the Break Coach feeback says I'm getting 95% or better.
The trick is to accellerate slowly and back off the accellerator slowly; near stop, the amount of 'breaking' increases--very good. I rarely use the brakes. This also means brake pad life is extended.

The other question I had was: If you use regenerative breaking, do the brake lights go on?
The answer is yes: you can see the red glow in the rear-facing camera when back off the accellerator when backing up.

ca_jon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Performance
Country flag
So polestar says driving on the freeway in 1pd is like dragging a boat anchor around as it nearly impossible to coast. So turn it off on the Highway and only use it in the city. You do you though
I suggest you actually learn how to use OPD before being so obstinate about it. You've made numerous comments in this thread that make it abundantly clear that you've either never tried it, or are not good at it. Either way, its a bad look and not appreciated.

mfbrown

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Prem, RWD, ER; 2023 MME Prem, RWD, ER
Country flag
You’re not going to, as the threshold for “coasting” with 1pd is one pixel so you’re never going to properly coast in 1pd. You are either using energy or retarding your progress that’s it. You’re using more energy to get from a to b because as you are using an inefficient energy recovery system. For one pedal to be truly efficient you’d need room temperature superconductors and super capacitors. Put your car in whisper and turn off 1pd and lift off the acceleration, you’ll be alarmed by total lack of velocity change and in that scenario you are gliding on the bearings. If 1pd was sooooooo efficient you wouldn’t have a guess O meter as you’d recoup ever electron spent in day to day driving so you’d always get 270 miles out of a charge. Does that happen? You you know more than Porsche who’s won dozens of 24hr Lemans races (which requires just a touch of the understanding of motive efficacy) so I’m wasting my time again.
I see where you are going, but you have to check your assumptions. Try to focus on energy loss. In the example earlier where you make the decision to "coast" into the stop in 2P mode, you have the potential energy that is being converted to kinetic energy (moving the car towards the stop), such that it will perfectly run out of energy when you come to a full stop. You are assuming, because you did not apply the brakes that there was no waste other than the friction of the road and the resistance from air which are arguably equal in both 2P and 1P mode.

You then postulate, that if you are slowing down using 1P mode by easing off of the accelerator and thus reducing energy input (but still putting in some energy) and generating some electricity to charge the battery; you are actually worse off because regenerating electricity is not 100% efficient and therefore you were better off with the coasting than you are with the regen.

I agree with that. The problem is with the assumption that you coast to a stop and never touch the brake which is the only way to achieve your coasting efficiency. I cannot guarantee, but I'm pretty certain that your coasting inefficiency (you probably use the brake a lot more than you think) far exceeds any regen inefficiency.

One of the early posts for 2P was 90% efficient, versus >98% for 1P. Sounds about right to me.

Last edited:

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag