Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Welp, I just ordered one of these:

https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products/products/advanced-station

Just had the electrician out for the estimate on the unrelated upcoming panel work and thought I might as well get this in for when they do their work.

FWIW for my Fusion Energi I bought a JuiceBox - original generation, as in didn't even have WiFi or anything, so old the company doesn't even admit it existed any more - and it's still plugging away after 7 years or so. Just wanted to get something a bit smarter for the second charging port. (I haven't decided yet if I'm keeping the Fusion - so I might need two chargers in the garage. Yes, I know I could just have one and move the cable or cars or whatever, but in for a penny, in for a jillion dollars.) I believe it actually supports 48A if you hardwire it, but given that the Fusion can't even do 40A, it never seemed worth the trouble ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E OpenEVSE Advanced Charger 1593710799558
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have that same 60a Juicebox but its packaged in a battery looking thing.
Ford Mustang Mach-E OpenEVSE Advanced Charger evse1

Yeah I have 3 EVSE's (well 4 if you count the one that comes with the car): The Bosch one is my original one, the Clipper Creek I keep in the car for campground use, and the JuiceBox I won with my blog. Don't think I'll be pony'ing up for the Ford one--last thing I need is another EVSE!

The JuiceBox's cable is only about 5ft long so I can only use it when I park next to them. When the car is out in the driveway I use the Bosch charger since its cable is 20ft.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E OpenEVSE Advanced Charger evse1

Yeah I have 3 EVSE's (well 4 if you count the one that comes with the car): The Bosch one is my original one, the Clipper Creek I keep in the car for campground use, and the JuiceBox I won with my blog. Don't think I'll be pony'ing up for the Ford one--last thing I need is another EVSE!

The JuiceBox's cable is only about 5ft long so I can only use it when I park next to them. When the car is out in the driveway I use the Bosch charger since its cable is 20ft.
The advantage of having a Nema 14-50 or Nema 6-50 plug at the end of the cable is that you can move them around. :)

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
evse1.jpg
that's actually a newer version than mine - that version they still admit exists, from what I can see on their web site ;) Mine came with a rather long car-side cord (25 ft maybe?), which I admit I thought about just running up to the ceiling and over to the other side of the garage. We'll see what I end up doing ultimately when the electrician comes to do the work.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The advantage of having a Nema 14-50 or Nema 6-50 plug at the end of the cable is that you can move them around. :)
I actually have 3 types: The wall plug is the 6-30. The ClipperCreek came with a L6-30 on it so I put an L6-30 on the JuiceBox (and don't run it more than about 26 amps).

I also have an adapter for the ClipperCreek from the L6-30 to the 14-50 a campground uses (the ClipperCreek is an LCS-20P so it won't even get close to 30 amps).

You'll note that none of these are the "fastest" you can get with an EVSE. The MME will be the first BEV that I can't get to a full charge overnight (say from 10pm - 7am) if its completely empty (which will be a rare occrance anyway).

Even on the Bolt with its 60kWh of battery I can completely charge up overnight at 26 amps.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
That OpenEVSE is a really nice unit and with the WiFi control, I can throttle it down to only 10 Amps or so that on a cloudy day when my solar output is low, I don't pay for grid power --- just charge longer. And it's easy to set how many KWH’s you want to add or by time.

All from either your smartphone or computer.

I put mine together in the kit version a few years ago --- fun project if you have a pretty good electronics background.

One thing to consider with any EVSE, is that when it is plugged in there is 240V power connected to the Main Board EVSV controller at all times whether charging or not.
I had a lightning hit do an over-voltage on the controller board --- was an simple replacement $80 part and about ½ hr fix.

If you don’t have a whole house surge protector, I would suggest a surge protector on the 240V feed line, as that unit is always “hot” when plugged in.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I put mine together in the kit version a few years ago --- fun project if you have a pretty good electronics background.
I thought of that, but this felt just past my skillset. It's a lot of power - I'm pretty happy when I can avoid burning down my house playing with a Raspberry Pi fed by microUSB ;)

If you don’t have a whole house surge protector, I would suggest a surge protector on the 240V feed line, as that unit is always “hot” when plugged in.
hmm. that's an interesting thought. I'll have to research that some. I've lived without until now but again having work done so...

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
I thought of that, but this felt just past my skillset. It's a lot of power - I'm pretty happy when I can avoid burning down my house playing with a Raspberry Pi fed by microUSB ;)
Ahh --- the amazing Raspberry Pi's, I use those to control both my electric hot water heater and my pool pump / heat pump with python programs. All from a $25 - $40 board.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Update: it arrived today. Swapped it in place of the existing JuiceBox, and it came up on the WiFi fine. Seems to be charging the Fusion Energi at 13.42 A. I see it has MQTT so I think when I have some free time (maybe tonight!), I'm going to see what I can do about feeding the data into an Azure IoT Hub and Power BI... :) (There is an OpenEVSE dashboard site, but I think I'd like to use this as an excuse to implement some stuff instead ;))

Mockingbird2004

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Occupation
Elevator Construction Mechanic
Country flag
Does anyone know if you can schedule charging times with the Ford pass app or through Sync 4? My Clipper Creek charger is not a smart charger and want to charge at night when electrical costs are cheaper.
Thanks

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score