AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag
I fast charged at EA once last week and once this week. Seeing the many videos showing people with issues, I fully expected to have much fiddling to do. Nope. Both times I plugged in at ~35% and it started doing its thing. Sometimes it's good to have a low expectation lol. Both times took about 23 minutes to reach 80%. The crazy thing is, in NJ EA charges $0.43 per kWh which would've been $15. In PA EA charges $0.32 per minute which was half the cost for the same 33kWh delivered. At $0.43 per kWh, it far exceeds what gas would've cost for the same number of miles driven.

There was a Taycan next to me the first time. I took a pic of their screen. Why does the Taycan have a lower rate? As you can see on the screen, he added 56kWh at $18.60, or $0.33 per kWh. He was still going at 35kW at 91%. It went up to 94% within a few minutes by the time I took at photo.

taycan1.JPG

taycan2.JPG
I noticed the same when driving from OH to FL. Some states charge by minute, some by KWh.

As far as the cost. A gas car at 30 mpg and $3/gal cost the same per mile as about $0.35/KWh.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I noticed the same when driving from OH to FL. Some states charge by minute, some by KWh.

As far as the cost. A gas car at 30 mpg and $3/gal cost the same per mile as about $0.35/KWh.
and if you are an EA Plus+ member you only pay $0.31

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag

I do believe it's state law. States that do not allow these chargers to operate as a utility company (or some such) will charge by the minute.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Show the math please?

Mach-E EPA 60 MPG VS ICE EPA 30 MPG

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Show the math please?

Mach-E EPA 60 MPG VS ICE EPA 30 MPG
if a gallon of gas is $3 and you get 30 miles to a gallon that is 10 cents a mile
if you pay 35 cents a Kwh and you get 3.5 miles per Kwh = 10 cents a mile

charging at home could be 3 cents a mile much better

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
From what I've read on here..............If you don't hear a loud click and then a hum start on the 350kw machines it will default to 34kw for delivery. That noise is the cooling for the hose.............I probably butchered the explanation but it's something like that. If you experience it try another machine
I don't think this is actually what the issue is. I've had several charging sessions where the cooling didn't kick in, and still got full speeds.

It really just seems to be the ABB 350kw units. They seem to give the 34kw charging 50%-75% of the time for me. A local charging network here in Oklahoma has the same units, and I have the same issue with them as well. So its not limited to just EA.

AlbanyIan

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 2021 Mach-E GT, Former: Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I hope Darren see's my message and I'll listen to the podcast later, but...I really hope they don't get too overly ambitious on the range front.

Everyone who bought the Mach-E paid for a certain expected advertised range. Anything more/extra, if it even comes with any miniscule 'risk' of fire danger, just isn't worth it.

I'm here (Mach-E on order) as a current owner of the Bolt EV in the process of a buyback from GM. If folks haven't heard, apparently, they just now advised folks to not park within 50 feet of anyone or any structures. It's a mess. I think the Bolt EV had maybe a 5% battery buffer.

That said, since the Mach-E ALSO uses an LG battery, are there any resources/references people know of on how similar/different this battery is vs. the Bolt EV?
There’s a Bolt charging 8 spots down from my GT now!
?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
if a gallon of gas is $3 and you get 30 miles to a gallon that is 10 cents a mile
if you pay 35 cents a Kwh and you get 3.5 miles per Kwh = 10 cents a mile

charging at home could be 3 cents a mile much better
Or you could be like me ~$4/gallon (premium fuel) at 15mpg = ~$0.27c per mile in my truck. Any EV will save money almost regardless of charging costs.

steelwheels

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Mach e soon
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Per Darren Palmer on the InsideEVs Podcast, changes are coming to the Mach-E's charging.

DC fast charging will have the 80% cliff moved higher and the speeds will increase.

Darren says the fast charging increases may be dynamic and depend on current environmental conditions and the long term battery health. So someone who rarely DC fast charges and always keeps their car at 80% may have a superior fast charge experience.

all I want is increased acceleration and more range updates. I have an X4.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or you could be like me ~$4/gallon (premium fuel) at 15mpg = ~$0.27c per mile in my truck. Any EV will save money almost regardless of charging costs.
Sure, but then you're comparing a truck to a small/mid crossover. A truck or larger vehicle isn't really comparable. The F-150 Lightning, for instance, will use more juice per mile than the Mach-E too.

A reasonable comparison to the Mach-E is something like an Escape. I've come up with pretty much the same estimate that Kenneth did (roughly $0.10/mile for both the Escape and for refueling the Mach-E at EA). And that's assuming the discounted EA+ rate. If using the base EA rates, it's more like $0.14/mi. But that's offset some on a road trip because we always start with a 100% home charge at just $0.03/mi. And sometimes a free hotel charge from destination to home.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sure, but then you're comparing a truck to a small/mid crossover. A truck or larger vehicle isn't really comparable. The F-150 Lightning, for instance, will use more juice per mile than the Mach-E too.

A reasonable comparison to the Mach-E is something like an Escape. I've come up with pretty much the same estimate that Kenneth did (roughly $0.10/mile for both the Escape and for refueling the Mach-E at EA). And that's assuming the discounted EA+ rate. If using the base EA rates, it's more like $0.14/mi. But that's offset some on a road trip because we always start with a 100% home charge at just $0.03/mi. And sometimes a free hotel charge from destination to home.
My Macan gets about 20 mpg and uses premium gas at about 3.50 a gallon= 17.5. the Mach E charging at night would be 3 cents per mile. Too bad I am retired and don't drive as much as I used to. That used to be almost 30k miles a year. Now that would be a huge savings a year.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Macan gets about 20 mpg and uses premium gas at about 3.50 a gallon= 17.5. the Mach E charging at night would be 3 cents per mile. Too bad I am retired and don't drive as much as I used to. That used to be almost 30k miles a year. Now that would be a huge savings a year.
Same here (retired). The savings would be greater if we did more driving around home, but the car actually sits in the garage 3-4 days/week without being touched.

We just passed 9000 miles on the odometer. Almost 6000 of that is road trips. But we've also managed to find free charging at all the hotels. I figure roughly half of all those road trip miles come from free hotel charging or cheap home charging.

I doubt I'll ever save enough on fuel and maintenance to fully offset how much extra I paid for the Mach-E vs a comparable ICE, but that's OK. We can afford it and we love the Mach-E. :cool:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag

Agreed, but for us our ICE F150 is the family road trip vehicle and that role will move to the Mach-e when we get it (at least until my Lightning arrives). This is a real world comparison for my family. We were actually planning out a vacation for next summer recently and it would cost around $400 in the F150 vs. under $100 in the Mach-e (some of that savings is from free or cheap hotel charging).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed, but for us our ICE F150 is the family road trip vehicle and that role will move to the Mach-e when we get it (at least until my Lightning arrives). This is a real world comparison for my family. We were actually planning out a vacation for next summer recently and it would cost around $400 in the F150 vs. under $100 in the Mach-e (some of that savings is from free or cheap hotel charging).
Sure, a smaller vehicle will be more efficient than a larger one. In this case you're getting some fuel savings from it being a BEV, and some more fuel savings from it being smaller.

Of course, if it were just about the money, you could buy a similar-sized Escape for $20,000 less up front, which would save more than the fuel. ?
Sponsored