JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Okay, it took me a bit before I could check the updates. The updates correspond to those listed prior. Updates seem to be the equivalent to firmware updates on your router.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
There's no reason to believe that it hasn't been pinpointed. Ford has already released a bulletin saying that an OTA update will fix the issue of some settings not sticking. I would be surprised if that update doesn't fix this issue.
I was excited to learn about this but then found out they only mentioned radio presets? I might have that wrong.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I was excited to learn about this but then found out they only mentioned radio presets? I might have that wrong.
Correct, the SSM specifically mentions audio settings not sticking, so there's no guarantee that the motion sensor setting will be included in the fix. But I'll be surprised if it's not.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Agreed, but the general comment stands. Many issues that seem minor and easy are not widespread making them difficult to address. Also, some issues, if limited to certain individuals versus impacting everyone would likely be assigned a lower priority when it comes to fixing.

Of course if I had these types of issues that were bugging me, I might just go to the dealer and have them flash any updates available.
I’ve been to the service center twice. They did have a bunch of updates which evidently are not being pushed out to everyone. I got them all. One (or more) of them fixed my issue with the passenger doors not unlocking on approach.

It’s weird that these issues only happen to certain people. We’re all got the same cars. I guess there’s lots of different software versions so that could be the problem. But it kinda makes me wonder whether some of us have configured our settings in such a way that causes a certain seemingly unrelated bug to pop up.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Often problems like the one you mentioned with the setting not sticking are the hardest to solve since it doesn’t happen to everybody. Transient bugs are hard to track down especially when you can’t reproduce them. It’s probably more complex than simply setting a flag somewhere. Could be something like the Sync module sending a message to another module who maybe is missing the message for some weird reason. Who knows. If it was obvious it probably wouldn’t have been a problem in the first place.

Also, the Mach E software team is probably WAY smaller than you think it is. Ford is a huge company, but it has thousands of teams, and each team is probably the smallest size it can be and still function. At least that’s the way most large companies work.
The individual fix may be easy, but it still has to be packed into an OTA, QA'd, rolled out, validated, documented, etc. The coding is only 10% of SW engineering work and that number gets smaller depending on the industry and differences in safety and security requirements.

They aren't going to do all that for just one thing. It's more complex than updating a phone app. There are multiple modules in the care to update too.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I’ve been to the service center twice. They did have a bunch of updates which evidently are not being pushed out to everyone. I got them all. One (or more) of them fixed my issue with the passenger doors not unlocking on approach.

It’s weird that these issues only happen to certain people. We’re all got the same cars. I guess there’s lots of different software versions so that could be the problem. But it kinda makes me wonder whether some of us have configured our settings in such a way that causes a certain seemingly unrelated bug to pop up.
Indeed, stuff like that be part if the QA test plan. But even with the best plans things get missed or unexpected outcomes show up.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
One thing that is still not clear to me - do you have to have an update schedule set in the vehicle (in other words, specify a time of day and day of the week) before OTAs will actually deploy to the vehicle? And then, will the OTAs ONLY deploy at those times/days, even if you use the check for updates feature?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
One thing that is still not clear to me - do you have to have an update schedule set in the vehicle (in other words, specify a time of day and day of the week) before OTAs will actually deploy to the vehicle? And then, will the OTAs ONLY deploy at those times/days, even if you use the check for updates feature?
My vehicle installed OTA updates even though I've never set a schedule. So, no schedule means 24/7 availability.
Sponsored