First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Hi,
We are having an external 240 receptacle installed outside our garage. I assume the charger unit supplied with the car is capable to be mounted/plugged in outside. Does anyone know if there is a docking station for the plug section? Otherwise I will need to unplug the wire and store it in the garage while not in use.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Sponsored

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
I dont know if its got mounting stuff on it, which plug section? The 14-50 or the J1776? I wouldnt bother for the 14-50, I also wouldnt leave it plugged in all the time outside, its a portable/mobile charger not made for permanent install. the J1776 plug, there are "docks" all over amazon for those. There are quite a few outdoor rated chargers that will give you higher charging rates than the ford mobile charger. Ill look in my car in a bit and see if the charger is mountable.

Personal opinion, I would leave it in the garage unless the car is actively charging.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It comes with a bracket to mount the charger on the wall. There is no place to plug in the plug to the charger for storage. You can buy plastic sockets to plug into, and mount them to the same 2x4 you mount the charger to. You cannot disconnect the cord from the charger and store it inside. You can unplug the charger of course, but you probably don't want to be doing that daily.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Hi,
We are having an external 240 receptacle installed outside our garage. I assume the charger unit supplied with the car is capable to be mounted/plugged in outside. Does anyone know if there is a docking station for the plug section? Otherwise I will need to unplug the wire and store it in the garage while not in use.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
I used my mobile charger outside for a few weeks when my Grizzl-E was in the shop. I would suggest against it. Water does get into the joint between the 14-50 and the charger over time. Wall holsters are pretty easy to get on Amazon.

OP
OP

r8humiston

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks. Probably will just plug it in while charging and unplug and store the charger in the garage. I am new to all this. Is there another solution?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
It's J1772.

I knew it was wrong when i typed it, but my brain just didnt realize it.

the mobile charger comes with a plastic clip to hold it, its very flimsy and i doubt would last long in sunlight.

I am in the crowd of keep the mobile charger in the car and get a chargepoint/grizzle, etc level 2 charger.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would install the outlet inside of the garage if you are using the supplied mobile charger. It is not waterproof from what I have been reading. Keep the charger inside the garage and lead the J1772 cord under the door.

OP
OP

r8humiston

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I knew it was wrong when i typed it, but my brain just didnt realize it.

the mobile charger comes with a plastic clip to hold it, its very flimsy and i doubt would last long in sunlight.

I am in the crowd of keep the mobile charger in the car and get a chargepoint/grizzle, etc level 2 charger.
I thought the unit was a level 2 charger by using the 240 volt through the portable charger.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I thought the unit was a level 2 charger by using the 240 volt through the portable charger.
The included Ford mobile charger is a Level 2 charger, if you're using the 14-50 pigtail. But, it only pulls 32A. If you bought and installed a permanent charger you could draw 40A from your same outlet, or up to 48A from a hardwired connection.

I think the biggest reason to install a permanent charger is for when you go somewhere and forget to pack your Ford Mobile charger in the car and then won't have it when/where you need it. I saw at least one other comment on this forum where someone found themselves in that situation because they were using the Ford Mobile charger at home and drove away without it.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I would install the outlet inside of the garage if you are using the supplied mobile charger. It is not waterproof from what I have been reading. Keep the charger inside the garage and lead the J1772 cord under the door.
The mobile charger IS weather proof. You can use it outside in rain, snow, etc. I wouldn't push things by submerging it underwater ... but it is designed to be used outside in poor weather.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
There are two short 'grid' connectors that come with the Ford Mobile Charger (these are the two short-cords that you can plug into the 'brick').

One is the common 120v outlet and the car will charge at 120v 12 amps (1.44 kW/hr) which is VERY slow and will add about 3 miles of range per hour. (This is Level 1 charging)

The other is a NEMA 14-50 plug and will charge at 240v 32amps (about 7.7 kW/hr or 5.3x faster) and will add around 18-20 miles of range to the car per hour. (This is Level 2 charging)

The maximum charge rate the car can pull on Level 2 is 240v at 48 amps (requires a 60 amp circuit and must be direct wired... not a plug-in wall-box). This is 11.5 kW/hr and will add about 27-30 miles of range per hour.

You can plug the car into an even beefier wall-box (e.g. an 80 amp EVSE) but the car wont pull more than 48 amps.

The grid-connectors have a very tight fit into the 'brick' on the mobile charger ... this was done deliberately. Ford feared owners would plug the unit into a wall outlet and just let it hang by it's own cord. They didn't want it to be able to pull itself free. You DO need to make sure the cord is SOLIDLY connected to the brick (the molded end of the card that connects to the brick will fit flush). If it is not solidly connected you may get the error light and it will refuse to charge.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The mobile charger IS weather proof. You can use it outside in rain, snow, etc. I wouldn't push things by submerging it underwater ... but it is designed to be used outside in poor weather.
The charger is. However, the outlet you plug into is not - meaning you need a weatherproof 240v outlet when closed, and then when you open it a cover, or box, that keeps the elements away from the connection.
Sponsored