harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One less device to carry plus you're more likely to have your phone available.
I will give you one less device. But for me more likely have fob than phone. Fob always in pocket. So usually if I have pants on have fob. Although 5 min without phone feels like I have no pants on.
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I don't know why, but PAAK has worked perfectly for me from Day 1. The biggest issue I have with PAAK is sometimes a 5 second delay from when I walk to the car to the door opening, which comes close to giving me a heart attack. But I have not been using my FOB at all (maybe I should be).

Now, I have not driven to sparse cell areas yet so if that is the culprit, that's a little scary. Why wouldn't they enable bluetooth as the trigger? Security?

Walk away lock 100% for me. Annoyingly so.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Android 11

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I hope there is a workaround planned for this in the future. I can think of many times when it will be more than just inconvenient to have the PAAK not work without cellular. Thanks for the find.
You can use the code on the door.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Remember that being in airplane mode and having no signal are completely different. When in airplane mode, the phone knows not to attempt to find a signal and apps may realize this as well. When you just have no signal, the phone and apps continue to connect to whatever networks they normally connect to.
Yes Airplane mode is not the same as not having a signal. One is about the phone transmitting and the other the network transmitting. However, unless the phone is transmitting you don't have a connection, and what you're really talking about when you say it needs a mobile signal is that it needs a mobile connection. And in Airplane mode you don't have a connection. Or are you saying you think it just needs to confirm the existence of RF of a certain wavelength and the connection doesn't matter?

Now if FordPass thinks there is a connection and there isn't, or if it is attempting but failing to connect, then putting the phone in Airplane mode should disabuse it of this misimpression and result in PAAK working.

smartino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RR Mach E First Edition, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am thinking that to Lock or Unlock the car and to start Remotely that you need cell service since that is clearly how these services work since you can be miles away and invoke these.

But for Windows Down and Up, Horns and Light and to open the Trunk you need to be connected via Bluetooth. I am surprised that you need cell service for PAAK since that should work via Bluetooth so that is definitely confusing.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I will give you one less device. But for me more likely have fob than phone. Fob always in pocket. So usually if I have pants on have fob. Although 5 min without phone feels like I have no pants on.
The last part about your pants! I only have the fob when I plan on driving. The phone is usually with me. Sometimes I find myself in the garage and want to get something from the car. If I don't have the fob I need to go back into the house and fetch it. Or I go to an sports event, carry the equipment to the field, realize I forgot some piece of equipment, and go back to the car, only realizing once I've gotten there that I put the fob away in the field bag. Or when my wife has a fob and I think I do because the car starts right up, but realize after dropping her off that I probably shouldn't stop the car until I get home.

Not saying these things happen all the time .... :)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You can use the code on the door.
If and only if you were first able to successfully set up PAAK, then did the startup codes. We have forum members who haven’t been able to set up PAAK. Or have the default codes memorized.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Agreed!
When they handed me the fob I was like....."Why did Ford make such a brick?". Then I turned if over and saw the pony logo and that explained it. Same Fruedian reason why the Mustang's exhaust pipes are oversized at the exits.

Side by side comparison: MME and FFE fobs:

20210225_072321.jpg

20210225_072334.jpg
Since we are whipping out our key fobs, here is a pic of my 2006 Mustang’s original key fob on the left, an aftermarket key fob I’ve used for it since the day I got it in the center, and the Mach-E’s on the right.

Ford Mustang Mach-E PaaK seems to require cellular service C05956D7-B7DF-4499-B2ED-D9EB6B0579D5

Seemingly all key fobs across all brands have gotten a lot bigger over the last 10 or so years, not sure why. That’s one reason why I like PaaK, the Mach-E’s key fob is like other modern key fobs - too bulky.

Last edited:

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Anybody noticed a difference in Android versions 10 vs 11? My hub's pixel is on 11 and he's had zero issues setting up and adding PaaK. My Duo's still on Android 10 and has had very lackluster results even establishing PaaK. I got a cute keychain for the fob. I'll be taking it with me. :)
Somewhere in some document somewhere, it says Android 11 is required for wireless android auto and PaaK. I'll try to dig that up. Regardless, my OnePlus 6T on Android 10 REFUSED to become PaaK or connect to Android auto, wired or not. Picked up a Samsung S21 and within 5 minutes everything worked fine.

Separately, I'm going to turn off cellular on my phone and only leave BT and WiFi on, see if PaaK works. (I believe that same documentation mentioned a 5GHz requirement, but that might have just been for AndroidAuto...)

EDIT/UPDATE: With WiFi on and not connected to any networks, cellular off, bluetooth on - PaaK worked just fine. (had to wait a sec after I got next to the car for the fordpass app to change from Bluetooth Disconnected to Bluetooth connected, but it worked just fine)

sambastang

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Veloster, 2021 Mustang Mach-E FE
Occupation
IT Engineer
Country flag
Somewhere in some document somewhere, it says Android 11 is required for wireless android auto and PaaK. I'll try to dig that up. Regardless, my OnePlus 6T on Android 10 REFUSED to become PaaK or connect to Android auto, wired or not. Picked up a Samsung S21 and within 5 minutes everything worked fine.

Separately, I'm going to turn off cellular on my phone and only leave BT and WiFi on, see if PaaK works. (I believe that same documentation mentioned a 5GHz requirement, but that might have just been for AndroidAuto...)

EDIT/UPDATE: With WiFi on and not connected to any networks, cellular off, bluetooth on - PaaK worked just fine. (had to wait a sec after I got next to the car for the fordpass app to change from Bluetooth Disconnected to Bluetooth connected, but it worked just fine)
I love a theory proven! Thanks for the research!

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes Airplane mode is not the same as not having a signal. One is about the phone transmitting and the other the network transmitting. However, unless the phone is transmitting you don't have a connection, and what you're really talking about when you say it needs a mobile signal is that it needs a mobile connection. And in Airplane mode you don't have a connection. Or are you saying you think it just needs to confirm the existence of RF of a certain wavelength and the connection doesn't matter?

Now if FordPass thinks there is a connection and there isn't, or if it is attempting but failing to connect, then putting the phone in Airplane mode should disabuse it of this misimpression and result in PAAK working.
Putting your phone in airplane mode does not stop the car's cellular modem from connecting. Perhaps the car needs the cellular connection, not the phone?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Since we are whipping out our key fobs, here is a pic of my 2006 Mustang’s original key fob on the left, an aftermarket key fob I’ve used for it since the day I got it in the center, and the Mach-E’s on the right.

Ford Mustang Mach-E PaaK seems to require cellular service C05956D7-B7DF-4499-B2ED-D9EB6B0579D5

Seemingly all key fobs across all brands have gotten a lot bigger over the last 10 or so years, not sure why. That’s one reason why I like PaaK, the Mach-E’s key fob is like other modern key fobs - too bulky.
I see you and raise you ;) https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...one-as-key-paak-and-door-code.2956/post-94191

Reactions: ARK

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Putting your phone in airplane mode does not stop the car's cellular modem from connecting. Perhaps the car needs the cellular connection, not the phone?
Interesting idea. It's possible but the car needing a mobile connection makes even less sense than the phone needing a mobile connection.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
A bit slow at times but the PAAK has been working great and getting better.
Sponsored