PaaK stalled me in school car line and locked dial from Drive mode

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I wonder if it's interference from other Bluetooth devices
My guess, just from seeing the randomness of it over these months, is that the phone's operating system is messing with it/overriding it, probably for battery management, along with combination of the FordPass App not always figuring out when it is time to activate or being unable to do so because of some error (and requiring a force restart of the app).
Sponsored

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I think that would be that owns person's fault, leaving the car unattended while running is a universally bad idea.

Some people can't walk 10 feet away from their car without locking the doors, and that is certainly overkill in most situations, but this is the opposite extreme with Ford having implemented a nanny to save people from leaving the car on unattended by basically implementing a soft auto off.
I'd be curious if this is a Ford only thing, or how today's cars work in general?

Anyone on the forum able to test this theory with non Ford vehicles? Start your vehicle with your fob in hand, keep it running and move the fob out of range - then see if you can take your vehicle out of Park.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
It may not be safe, because I looked at the statistics of the Ministry of Education and it was written that problems with vehicles during the collection of children from school are one of the main causes of accidents. Have you tried contacting a Ford service center to resolve this issue? They should be able to provide you with a solution or suggest a firmware update that might fix the issue. Safety should always be a priority, so it's not worth the risk of continuing to use a car with this problem.
so..... while it was a serious issue, you may have noticed that:
- the OP was 2 years ago
- PAAK has come a long way since then, and is far more reliable
- There *should* have been alternatives even then for the OP like entering their backup code on screen.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
Just this week had my phone on me, "no key detected", backup code page comes up on center screen but you can't enter in your code (no keyboard presented). Tried several different routines of phone arrangement vs start button pushing and could not start it. So took the Tesla and used my fob for the next MME drive. It's a problem that has not gone away and I worry about when I'm not taking my fob. I drive with phone only when I know that I can walk home if I have to. So while PAAK may have improved, I do not consider it reliable. I find that CarPlay is a mess too. It doesn't work very quickly or consistently. I think that the MME and our phones are not communicating very efficiently and get bogged down between sleep cycles and different programs vying for bluetooth bandwidth, and potential interference. Probably only tested in perfect conditions.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It may not be safe, because I looked at the statistics of the Ministry of Education and it was written that problems with vehicles during the collection of children from school are one of the main causes of accidents. Have you tried contacting a Ford service center to resolve this issue? They should be able to provide you with a solution or suggest a firmware update that might fix the issue. Safety should always be a priority, so it's not worth the risk of continuing to use a car with this problem.
You sound like a chatbot. What type of Mustang Mach E do you drive?

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think that the MME and our phones are not communicating very efficiently and get bogged down between sleep cycles and different programs vying for bluetooth bandwidth, and potential interference. Probably only tested in perfect conditions.
I agree with this. On some occasions, not all the time, I’ll have my phone in my hand and pressing the button on the door but it does nothing…..even I was able to open the door with one button press 5 mins prior. What I’ve found is that when the door presses aren’t opening the door, I unlock my phone, and look at the Ford Pass app, and the Bluetooth connecting message appears. And then the message transitions to Bluetooth connected, but it takes another 10 to 15 seconds after that before I’m able to open the door.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
While I have not totally given up on PAAK, I keep a fob in the car at all times. If you worry about that, you can put it in a faraday bag. Me, I just leave it in the center console, and lock the door with the keypad, just like I would if running or going on a bike ride. I don't want a situation like what you described happening to me, and I don't want to carry that fob everywhere.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Just wondering rhetorically if all the people saying they have issues with PaaK have had the recall completed? Are people still having this many problems with the updated PaaK software?

I've had the PaaK recall update and I find PaaK to be very reliable.

I never, ever use the fob for daily driving. The only time I've used it is when taking the vehicle in for service.
It's just so many variables. My PaaK hasn't worked right in the past few months. But it's due to my phone having Bluetooth issues. Before Android 13 ad on my Pixel 4 it was great (after the recall). Now, not so much. OP. Sounds like his problem is also phone related.

https://dontkillmyapp.com/

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Man, unfortunately that chatbot awoke this topic from the dead...

PSA: This topic was created almost two years ago when PAAK issues were much worse.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Another reason why kids should be walking to and from school 😀😀😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
“Get off my lawn!!!”
If you saw the sad shape of my lawn (thanks to the truly EVIL HOA), you’d understand why I don’t care who does what on my lawn 😀
Sponsored

Last edited: