NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I too already have some paint chips in my GB FE bumper and am pretty annoyed by them. Really shouldn’t be happening this soon or there should be factory installed protection.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I too already have some paint chips in my GB FE bumper and am pretty annoyed by them. Really shouldn’t be happening this soon or there should be factory installed protection.
The corrosion protecting primer, paint, and clearcoat are the factory installed protective layers.

A lot of people are choosing to pay thousands more to have a layer of clear plastic bonded onto the car. You might decide to make that same choice if you'd prefer to see edges of sheets of plastic rather than small rock chips.

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
keep in mind we're all driving our cars pretty soon after coming off the line
Define soon. If mine arrives as scheduled, it’ll be 94 days after it rolled off the assembly line. Delivery times vary radically.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is why I XPEL'd the front end, hood, mirrors and fender flares. Ceramic coated the entire car after. I have 1000 miles of freeway driving without a scratch. I've heard rocks hit and there isn't a mark. XPEL was $$$ but so worth it. Really protects the car.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The corrosion protecting primer, paint, and clearcoat are the factory installed protective layers.

A lot of people are choosing to pay thousands more to have a layer of clear plastic bonded onto the car. You might decide to make that same choice if you'd prefer to see edges of sheets of plastic rather than small rock chips.
I incurred multiple rock chips in less than 2k miles of driving. On good roads. I’m either very unlucky or the paint does seem unusually vulnerable. And the chips are black, which I’ve not experienced before. The black MME might actually be the most forgiving color, which isn’t usually the case, is it?

Based upon my experience, I’d say unless you’re going black you ought to factor in a couple grand more for a clear bra and a professional ceramic. Otherwise your $50k+ car is gonna look raggedy in a few short years.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I incurred multiple rock chips in less than 2k miles of driving. On good roads. I’m either very unlucky or the paint does seem unusually vulnerable. And the chips are black, which I’ve not experienced before. The black MME might actually be the most forgiving color, which isn’t usually the case, is it?

Based upon my experience, I’d say unless you’re going black you ought to factor in a couple grand more for a clear bra and a professional ceramic. Otherwise your $50k+ car is gonna look raggedy in a few short years.
I'm not sure it is a problem with the paint as much as the soft plastic the paint is covering.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

LadyJJ

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Occupation
Management
Country flag
I have rail rust, I think is what they call it. Small specks of rust you can see on the hood. I'm frustrated... had a 10 year old Benz that never had this issue.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have rail rust, I think is what they call it. Small specks of rust you can see on the hood. I'm frustrated... had a 10 year old Benz that never had this issue.
Rail rust is an environmental contaminate. It can be removed with various products such as CarPro Iron-x, or Fallout Remover from Griot’s Garage.

LadyJJ

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Occupation
Management
Country flag
Rail rust is an environmental contaminate. It can be removed with various products such as CarPro Iron-x, or Fallout Remover from Griot’s Garage.
But again, my 10 year old benz never had this. It's a poor paint product that my MME has it on day 1. The environmental condition that caused this on day 1 is not from my area or use. So am still frustrated. No way I should have this on a 60k car.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But again, my 10 year old benz never had this. It's a poor paint product that my MME has it on day 1. The environmental condition that caused this on day 1 is not from my area or use. So am still frustrated. No way I should have this on a 60k car.
Once again. Rail Rust is an environmental contaminant. It is caused by ferrous dust. Doesn’t matter if you didn’t see it on your MB. It can be removed, and very easily. It isn’t related to the paint job.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
As I finish up my last night shift, in a few hours. I am entering into a 7 day break.
Can’t wait to clay bar and clean Mjolnir.

I will be administering Ethos Graphene Ceramic coating in the next day or so.

On my wife’s truck I did 2 coats. Partly because I wanted to save enough for my Mach E, otherwise I would have done like 5 coats.

On my Mach E I plan on getting in minimum 3 coats and we will see how much product I have at that point.

It’s slick, literally, as so that the truck is always shiny and clean looking and then you do a simple wash and it pops. I only have the Oxford White on her F150. They make a Star White or something which is a far superior paint and my Oxford turned out competitive to a higher class paint job.

To me it seems like I’ve added 2 layers of thick clear coat to the truck, and it helps with rock chips and typical paint scratches. It’s not the same class as Xpel or 3M film in regards to rock chips but it’s what I was interested in experimenting with and I’m still considering doing some sort of bra Xpel or something and then Ethos over top.

You should definitely take it into your hands to protect your vehicles paint job.
Sorry for such a long post.

LadyJJ

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Occupation
Management
Country flag
Once again. Rail Rust is an environmental contaminant. It is caused by ferrous dust. Doesn’t matter if you didn’t see it on your MB. It can be removed, and very easily. It isn’t related to the paint job.
That's unacceptable. To buy a brand new car in that condition and be asked to "fix it" day 1. The dealer should clear rail rust before selling it, especially if it's as easy as you describe.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Particulate fallout is a environmental issue. I have see rust spots on cars from all over the county. Depending on weather condition it can by blown 1000's of miles. . No different then finding micro plastic embedded in rock formation in the middle of the Arizona desert. The Dealer is responsible for detailing the car upon delivery. Not acceptable and you should contact ford. I would take it by a reputable body shop and having them check the clear coat for damage. Unfortunately EPA has shut down any way of making a quality paint anymore. Water based paints and clear coats are poor substitute for our old perfect enamel paints. I have seen 80 year old body panels polished to perfection. We have come to having to use PPF and quality ceramic coatings to protect what we value.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I think you mean "Unfortunately, paint companies haven't found a good way of making high performance paint that isn't harmful to our ecosystem and particularly us humans, as a species." ... but I digress.

Yeah, my Mach-E looked like you might have expected it to look... like it had been bathing in a heavy pollution environment for a couple months (Mexico City), then hauled across the continent in the middle of winter, and finally dragged through a low-cost automatic car wash (all the shiny black plastic wasn't so shiny with lots of microscratches, especially the B-pillars and mirror pods). There were water spots all over it from either Ford, the transit, or the dealer using crappy water. It took me about 6-8 hours of polishing to get the paint and plastics back to shiny and then I put ceramic on everything. I will be applying PPF in the next couple weeks to help with rock chips.

It's not perfect, but it's almost back to where I would've expected a new car to be in the first place. It didn't help that I took delivery in the rain and couldn't tell that it needed a full day of detailing...
Sponsored