cmorman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Country flag
So, early last week I got 10% off coupon for parts and accessories from Camelback. Since I had $115 in Ford points to burn as well, I called Wednesday afternoon and ordered front and rear seat covers (they are $169 each set). Thursday I get a call that they've arrived. Friday morning I drove there to pick them up. Get the invoice. I'm being charged $160.55 for each set. Point out that's a bit more than 10% off. He tries to tell me that he took off 5% for each set for a total %10 off. Spend 15 minutes explaining patiently that's not how math works.get my additional discount as a separate credit. I'm certain that most people will never notice this until they get home.

As I said before, when dealers make a mistake, it's never in you favor. Funny that.
I got the trunk mat from them. I also had some weird math going on with my parts, but it was related to the rewards points redemption. But it's the other part of the reason I'm not going their for service either.

Another fun one was that they sold my trade in before paying it off. In fact, it's still not yet paid off, and I'm at about the 25-day mark from trading it in. My plates are also supposed to be transferred but the MVD is still showing no updates, so who knows. I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

I sure hope we can save future buyers some pain.
Sponsored

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
As I said before, when dealers make a mistake, it's never in you favor. Funny that.
Not entirely true that dealer mistakes don't always work out in your favor. My dealer realized a few days after my purchase that they did not properly apply the X-Plan pricing in my purchase, so they called me up and asked me to come back and sign and amendment to purchase that shaved a decent chunk of money off the price.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Not entirely true that dealer mistakes don't always work out in your favor. My dealer realized a few days after my purchase that they did not properly apply the X-Plan pricing in my purchase, so they called me up and asked me to come back and sign and amendment to purchase that shaved a decent chunk of money off the price.
The situation you described is exactly what I'm talking about. Your dealer made a mistake that's not in your favor. The only difference is that they corrected it without being called on it. Good for them (and you).

OP
OP

cmorman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Country flag
I just got back from the dealer. They are going to reach out to Ford. They say it sounds like the glass will either need to be cut out and resealed, or might need to be fully replaced. They did confirm the sound was coming from the glass roof and not something else making the noise.

I'm guessing it will be a reseal if it's technically possible. I'll update with Ford's response when I hear back.

OP
OP

cmorman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Country flag
Second follow up: I spoke to the service department, and they more or less said that Ford will cover the costs (or at least they weren't worried about Ford covering it).

The current hold up is they don't know what to do with the glass roof. There don't appear to be workshop manuals for it, and they are waiting to hear back from Ford about proper steps to service it.

Once they have some answers, I'll share them here.

Fusionblu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach~E, Kia Telluride, BMW 335i
Occupation
IT fiddler
Country flag
I have the same creaking issue. In my case the sound makes an appearance when the vehicle starts moving and there is a temperature change. It's almost like the roof cracking. I have also noticed the the pano roof is misaligned. The left edge is higher than the right. So surely a case of the structure warping under different temperature conditions.

OP
OP

cmorman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Country flag
I have the same creaking issue. In my case the sound makes an appearance when the vehicle starts moving and there is a temperature change. It's almost like the roof cracking. I have also noticed the the pano roof is misaligned. The left edge is higher than the right. So surely a case of the structure warping under different temperature conditions.
Yep! Sounds exactly like my issue, including the misalignment. I still haven't heard back from Ford.

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Mine is creaking and rattles. Has worsened since cracking. A rock did hit the front of the pano. The impact was so tiny the only way we found it was by rolling a ballpoint pen along the crack. When the pen stopped, we could see a very tiny pit from the rock. As the days go by, the glass is separating, creating a large gap.

Unlike a typical windshield, a chasm is forming as the ow two sides of the pano pulls itself away from each side. Seems the glass was under extreme stress to start and now the body is pulling the sides to where it wants.

Dealer said call insurance. Not much help otherwise.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Mine is creaking and rattles. Has worsened since cracking. A rock did hit the front of the pano. The impact was so tiny the only way we found it was by rolling a ballpoint pen along the crack. When the pen stopped, we could see a very tiny pit from the rock. As the days go by, the glass is separating, creating a large gap.

Unlike a typical windshield, a chasm is forming as the ow two sides of the pano pulls itself away from each side. Seems the glass was under extreme stress to start and now the body is pulling the sides to where it wants.

Dealer said call insurance. Not much help otherwise.
Unfortunately, when it comes to rock damage the dealer is right. Hope it gets fixed soon.

OP
OP

cmorman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Country flag
Hey everyone, I hate when these threads just die without resolution. Ford eventually called me back, about 2 months later. They had ordered a new roof for me, but it came cracked. Last week, the 2nd replacement roof came. It was installed yesterday and I'm picking the car up today. It was all covered under the warranty.

If something is seriously messed up when I get the car back, I'll post an update. Otherwise it's finally fixed!

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Mine was replaced yesterday, after the second roof replacement arrived (first delivered broken per glass co). Mine was not covered by warranty, insurance claim. The long black trim that runs from front to rear is now very loose towards the rear, but it sounds like the glass co will fix this. My next desire is to try and avoid this problem again!

I've read some materials about putting film on the pano roof can cause stress cracks due to heat retention? If the film is clear and is only there to protection from debris impacts, would that be a problem? Warranty killer?

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Hey OP, any update on how your new roof is holding up? I've just started noticing a creaking in my pano glass roof as well that's significantly gotten worse over the past few days, found your thread while searching for any reports of the same.

I also experience it under the exact same conditions, creaking can be heard coming from the rear of the pano glass when going over any uneven road, at any speeds. No visible physical damage or rock chips to my glass roof either.

Follow-up question: Were you driving your car during the 2 months you waited on Ford to replace the roof? Not sure if I should be concerned that the creaks are telling me that the roof is under intense stress that may eventually crack the glass if I drive it too much.. I plan on reaching out to my dealership tomorrow to see about schedule a visit.

Was able to kind of get a video of the creaking sounds, it's heard most right at the beginning and then again at the end of the clip:

OP
OP

cmorman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD
Country flag
The creaking is completely fixed with the new roof, no issue at all. My total turn around time was much longer than 2 months, as each roof took 2-3 months to arrive, and the first arrived broken.

I did continue to drive the car, since I had documented with and already had a replacement on the way with Ford.

The creaking sounds similar to yours, but it didn't have the popping noise. Not sure if that's an artifact from the camera microphone or not. But the creaking/groaning part was identical. I also took mine in because I was worried about stress on the glass. I didn't have any issues outside of noise until it was replaced.

Last edited:

NoVAguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
The creaking is completed fixed with the new roof, no issue at all. My total turn around time was much longer than 2 months, as each roof took 2-3 months to arrive, and the first arrived broken.

I did continue to drive the car, since I had documented with and already had a replacement on the way with Ford.

The creaking sounds similar to yours, but it didn't have the popping noise. Not sure if that's an artifact from the camera microphone or not. But the creaking/groaning part was identical. I also took mine in because I was worried about stress on the glass. I didn't have any issues outside of noise until it was replaced.
Thanks for confirming that it was identical. I took the popping sounds as just smaller creaks taking place, but who knows! Also glad that you were able to continue to drive it while waiting on the replacement, makes me feel a little bit better and the situation.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Creaking in my car really intensified as weather got colder (I.e. today at -2C was pretty bad). It concerned me enough that I’ll be counting the days until November 23rd when the dealers are supposed to take appointments for the windshield/roof recalls. Hopefully that would sort this out.
Sponsored