Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
"arguing for the sake of arguing" presumes you made a true statement, and you didn't.

I'm arguing to show that your blanket statement is not in fact true. You then threw up a strawman argument, which I proved wrong anyway (so nice fail there, buddy!), and you're continuing to talk about the strawman argument. So now you've made two arguments, both of which I've factually proven incorrect.

But that's fine. Your original point had nothing to do with the thread anyway. So this isn't really that important. It does tell me though why others have ignored you. Like I am about to.
Sponsored

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
For that particular feature, yep. More power is nearly always better than less. Although there's always some expense to it, like more weight, and/or worse mileage, and/or higher price tag. It's just one of many bricks in the wall that make up a vehicle's value.
Why is good acceleration important?

Because no one ever advertises how slow their vehicle is.

And I have never heard anyone complain that their vehicle has too much power, but plenty of complaints about being under powered. Yeah, that car is/was a real dog!

I think people intuitively believe that more power is generally better.

But trying to remotely get back on topic, consider this.

One certain situation where a BEV will outperform an ICE is at higher elevations.

Your 300 hp Mach E is going to have that 300 hp available at sea level, and at 9,000' (think Breckenridge, CO, Park City, UT,) etc.

I don't believe that any ICE can match that performance 100%, except maybe a supercharged engine? And, to top that off, shouldn't a BEV perform better at high elevations, due to lower air density and thus less air resistance? Hmmm.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why is good acceleration important?

Because no one ever advertises how slow their vehicle is.

And I have never heard anyone complain that their vehicle has too much power, but plenty of complaints about being under powered. Yeah, that car is/was a real dog!

I think people intuitively believe that more power is generally better.
Of course. More power is usually better than less. But at the same time, that extra value diminishes after it becomes "enough" for someone's needs/tastes. Case in point: most of us are buying Premium MMEs rather than GTs. The GT is much faster, so why isn't everyone just buying a GT instead?... because the Premium is good enough for their needs/tastes, and doesn't cost more, and is more efficient, etc.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Premium. More range. The 20 extra miles of range, I'll use. 3.5 second 0-60 I wouldn't.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, I'm saying there are trade-offs. More power comes at less efficiency (which means less range). It's more functional in one area and less functional in another (actually a few others).

Just like AWD vs RWD. AWD is more functional, but it also comes at the expense of 10% less range, which is less functional. It's a trade-off, and each buyer values those trade-offs differently based on their situation.

Any by "diminishes", I didn't mean the car power degrades. I meant the extra value of faster acceleration diminishes for that buyer if it's faster acceleration than they're likely to ever need/use. It's overkill for many buyers.

Last edited:

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
You have no clue as to what I did or what I am doing. :mad:
Its not about pollution and the environment, not about clean air and clean water. :rolleyes:
It's only been in recent years that the affects of climate change have become clear to myself and to many others. Reading about extinction events, the Permian extinction event in particular, make it plain that we are forcing a current extinction event that could rival that one, changing climate at a rate way higher than nature has done in the past.
Practical solutions have only become available in recent years - cost effective Solar, cost effective lighting, cost effective EVs, and so on.
So go ahead and make accusations, I am sure you are perfect.
Welcome to my ignore list.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Value is always subjective. I may not buy your faster car for my teenaged child precisely because it is faster. You may carsplain why that would be an error on my part, but I am free to ignore you and value the slower car more.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If it were purely more power available at no extra cost or trade-off, then of course. But my point is that it never comes with no trade-offs. There are no "all other things being equal" possibilities because more power always comes at a trade-off.

That's why I clarified earlier that it's a more valuable feature, but whether it makes the whole vehicle more valuable or not depends on all the other features/aspects too. Including efficiency, range, price, weight, etc.

A Mach-E GT is faster than a Bentley, but the Bentley is a more valuable vehicle on the whole.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hardly. The price of the GT is very close to the price of the FE. (A few% more but pretty darn close.) Yet we have plenty of people that chose the FE instead of the GT. (Myself included.)

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Value is always subjective. I may not buy your faster car for my teenaged child precisely because it is faster. You may carsplain why that would be an error on my part, but I am free to ignore you and value the slower car more.
Yeah, it is terrible that the Mach E does not have MyKey capabilities like my other Fords. That way you could control max speed and other parameters.

Tick, tick, tick, tick.

Sorry. I read the Owner's Manual, and it does have MyKey. Problem solved. :)
Sponsored