Picking Up GT Today!!

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Math still in favor of options, by much larger margin.

Options:
36 months payments @ 621 (1.4%) = 22,356.
24 months payments of Balloon refinanced (27,470 @ 2.9) = 1179 x 24 = 28,296.
Total: 50,652

Financed:
60 months payments @ 903 (3.9%) = 54,180.
In the last post before this you wrote “Same down payment with financing for 36 months at 1.9 has total payments of 50,544.”

So sure, changing the math changes the outcome, but that doesn’t actually disprove what I just said.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
In the last post before this you wrote “Same down payment with financing for 36 months at 1.9 has total payments of 50,544.”

So sure, changing the math changes the outcome, but that doesn’t actually disprove what I just said.
Well, I had to change the math to reflect changes in duration of paying off the vehicle. As I'm looking at it...if I refinance the balloon the best way to compare apples to apples is compare total cost spent over the same duration whether financed or using options plan as I did above either financing for 36 months at 1.9 and paying balloon at end, or paying a longer duration on finance to reflect the longer duration utilizing options.

What does your math show?

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Well, I had to change the math to reflect changes in duration of paying off the vehicle. As I'm looking at it...if I refinance the balloon the best way to compare apples to apples is compare total cost spent over the same duration whether financed or using options plan as I did above either financing for 36 months at 1.9 and paying balloon at end, or paying a longer duration on finance to reflect the longer duration utilizing options.

What does your math show?
Haven’t bothered doing any until I know what the options are at the time my vehicle gets here which will hopefully be this year. As long as my bank keeps offering me 1.89 to finance directly it’s going to be tough for Ford options to be worth it based on having to finance the balloon at the end unless the $2500 incentive sticks. And, complicating things more, negotiating the trade in value may be easier with Ford Options, or it might be better to just sell to carmax before I walk into the dealer. No point in doing it until I have real numbers to look at.
My only point in posting earlier is that the balloon only makes sense if paying it doesn’t add more interest than is apparent from your first set of math.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Haven’t bothered doing any until I know what the options are at the time my vehicle gets here which will hopefully be this year. As long as my bank keeps offering me 1.89 to finance directly it’s going to be tough for Ford options to be worth it based on having to finance the balloon at the end unless the $2500 incentive sticks. And, complicating things more, negotiating the trade in value may be easier with Ford Options, or it might be better to just sell to carmax before I walk into the dealer. No point in doing it until I have real numbers to look at.
My only point in posting earlier is that the balloon only makes sense if paying it doesn’t add more interest than is apparent from your first set of math.
My plan for trade in is to see what the dealer offers - if reasonable take it. If not, keep current vehicle and sell to Carmax (or similar) afterwards. I will likely get less on the trade in, but you get the sales tax offset which is worth about $2k on its own (Edit - for me in NY with our trade)

OP
OP

bso55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Acura MDX
Country flag
Congrats! I'm in the Denver area too and got my GT on 9/17. I've done the ceramic coating and clear bra. I'm loving the car so far. Good luck on yours.
Where'd you get it done?
Math still in favor of options, by much larger margin.

Options:
36 months payments @ 621 (1.4%) = 22,356.
24 months payments of Balloon refinanced (27,470 @ 2.9) = 1179 x 24 = 28,296.
Total: 50,652

Financed:
60 months payments @ 903 (3.9%) = 54,180.
That's interesting. I wonder if it had to do with the fact I was putting zero money down. He had the same 12000 miles/year. I don't have the exact numbers because I didn't keep the paperwork, but I do have written down that the balloon payment would be $36730. That seems high compared to yours. My MSRP was $64440...perhaps yours is different with putting the money down? Or maybe he gave me the wrong amount? And I was able to get a 2.9% for 72 months, so that will sway things also.

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Makes sense. My plan is to go to the dealer the week before to get a trade in value established and then make the call so when I show up I can either trade the car in or sell to carmax first and just give them a check as a down payment. We will see how it goes. If the car is delayed, I might just end up getting a different car.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well...if I kept it as it was it wouldn't really make any sense in my mind.

3 years Option + 2 year refinance of balloon has 621/month for first 3 years, 1,179/month for the last 2 for a total of 50,652

3 years finance would put you at 1,404/month for 3 years for a total of 50,544.

Why would you want to pay 1400/month to save about 100 bucks over stretching it out but paying significantly less every month (less than half for the duration of the terms)

Why wouldn't you just do options for those 3 years, pay your 621 a month, save the other 800 a month and then pay off the balloon at the end. Net monthly payment is the same, but you save more money with options.

PNWEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Well...if I kept it as it was it wouldn't really make any sense in my mind.

3 years Option + 2 year refinance of balloon has 621/month for first 3 years, 1,179/month for the last 2 for a total of 50,652

3 years finance would put you at 1,404/month for 3 years for a total of 50,544.

Why would you want to pay 1400/month to save about 100 bucks over stretching it out but paying significantly less every month (less than half for the duration of the terms)

Why wouldn't you just do options for those 3 years, pay your 621 a month, save the other 800 a month and then pay off the balloon at the end. Net monthly payment is the same, but you save more money with options.
I’m not interested in starting an argument with you especially when you continuously shift the goal posts. Now you are concerned about the monthly payment but really the options requires you to save that $800 that you aren’t spending to have it for the balloon payment. Whether you are paying ford $600 and then saving $800 or paying $1400, that money still needs to go into the car.

I’m not saying that options is bad, I’m pointing out that people need to look at the whole picture before they think paying $621 for 3 years sounds great and then they are faced by the balloon that they lost sight of while they could have made the full payments over the course of those 3 years and been done.
Could a savvy person save the $800 and invest it in the interim to widen the margins even farther? Sure, not everyone is that kind of investor.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m not interested in starting an argument with you especially when you continuously shift the goal posts. Now you are concerned about the monthly payment but really the options requires you to save that $800 that you aren’t spending to have it for the balloon payment. Whether you are paying ford $600 and then saving $800 or paying $1400, that money still needs to go into the car.

I’m not saying that options is bad, I’m pointing out that people need to look at the whole picture before they think paying $621 for 3 years sounds great and then they are faced by the balloon that they lost sight of while they could have made the full payments over the course of those 3 years and been done.
Could a savvy person save the $800 and invest it in the interim to widen the margins even farther? Sure, not everyone is that kind of investor.
Why would we be arguing? I'm showing the math in different ways. I'm not moving goal posts I'm changing up the potential options.

I think you need to take a breather if you're taking this as combative.

You don't have to pay the 1400 a month in either case. I showed the math where you can pay the lesser monthly payment for 3 years, refinance the balloon payment for 2 years after and still have a net outcome virtually identical to a 1400 a month payment while never getting close to having to pay that much.

It's just math. Interpret how you want, but it's accurate.

Mhood

First Name
Myia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Implementation Project Manger
Country flag
All I can say is I forgot how freakin' long it takes to buy a car! Overall the experience at Phil Long went exceedingly smooth, other than it taking nearly 4 hours. Got there, and the car was still in detailing, so we walked over to check it out. Our immediate reaction was pure joy. Went back to his office and filled out paperwork for the financing. Then we seriously sat there for what seemed like an hour as we waited for financing. We gave them our X-Plan PIN, and they took the $1000 off, ho questions asked. They came in and asked if we wanted to do normal financing, or the Ford Options plan. I hadn't read much about that, so they gave me numbers for a 36 month "lease" with that. It was a 2.4% loan for the 36 months, but the numbers to me didn't add up. It looks like that option cost about $4k more than buying it outright -- they don't tell you that, of course, but I compared the totals with interest for a 72 month loan, versus the 36 month option with a 36 month loan at the same 2.4%...it was $4k more. So we went with the loan.

Then we waited again. They finally got the car ready, so we got to take it on a test drive. So much fun, and it drove great with good handling. It's been 5 months since we drove the Premium, so I don't know how much different it was...but it's smooth, not overly bumpy with the bigger wheels, and has some punch! My wife pulled up next to a Tesla Model S Plaid...pretty sure she wanted to try and take it, I told her not to even try, lol! Got back from that and put it on the charger. Then we had to wait even longer for financing. Ugh. They finally came, signed the paperwork, and out!
Im happy to hear your dealership experience was better than others. My Premium is scheduled to arrive between this upcoming Friday the 15th - Thursday the 21st. ( ????) Super excited ?! I join mustang of America back in May when I placed the order. How early did you request your X-Plan pin? Does it expire?

OP
OP

bso55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Acura MDX
Country flag
Im happy to hear your dealership experience was better than others. My Premium is scheduled to arrive between this upcoming Friday the 15th - Thursday the 21st. ( ????) Super excited ?! I join mustang of America back in May when I placed the order. How early did you request your X-Plan pin? Does it expire?
I requested it the morning the dealer called me...took all of 2 minutes on the website to do it. I didn't look at the expiration of it, so I'm not sure if there is. Then all they did was ask for an ID or paystub while I was there. Good luck with yours!

spanky99L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50, F250, 2000 Lightning
Occupation
I Blow Stuff Up
Country flag
Pin's are good for 1 year.

techwonder21

First Name
KaMar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: BMW 4Series
Country flag
Congrats! My GT (non-performance) was just delivered yesterday!

Order Confirmed: 4/27/21
In Production Date: 8/10/21
Built: 9/11/21
Estimated Delivery: Between 10/20/21 and 10/26/21
Actual Delivery: 10/11/21 (9 days early)

PXL_20211012_231829183.PORTRAIT.jpg
Sponsored