Please help: Dealer was sold, new dealer is extorting me

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
tl;dr placed order through website, dealer that was taking delivery no longer exists, new owners refuse to honor the agreement with the previous dealership and wont take x-plan, want to charge a very high ADM and didnt even register for the ca clean air rebate. They flat our refuse to transfer the order to a new dealer and said there is nothing I nor Ford can do about it. Ford marketing agrees...

Details

I placed my order for a mach-e GT performance almost a year ago (been waiting for this car for two years), I got a build date of 1/10 and was incredibly excited until earlier this week when I logged on to see if there were any updates and I got a "Sorry to hit the brakes" message saying Perry Ford of Poway had been sold and there was a new dealer I needed to speak with before my order could continue. I talk to the new dealer Aaron Ford asking them to confirm they take x-plan, wont charge ADM, have registered for the CA clean air rebate, take ford options, etc. They refuse to answer anything saying don't worry about it, we can go through all the details once the car arrives, we'll take care of you... I send it in writing and after many calls they finally tell me no we dont take any a-z plan, no we have not registered for the ca clean air and we are looking to add a $10k ADM, we are also looking at installing a new alarm system, paint protection, fabric protection, etc when we receive the car...

I call up other dealerships in the area, they all readily say they do take xplan aren't charging any ADM and have registered for the CA clean air rebate, transfer your order through! They gladly send it in writing. I call Ford marketing and this is where the pain really begins. I am transferred from person to person and department to department wasting hours each day and with each person saying "sorry we cannot transfer any orders from our end". I get transferred to marketing, suv department, ford performance racing, customer relations, etc all to be transferred back to ford marketing. No one can help. Someone from Ford marketing flat out said, just cancel your order and place it with the other dealership... someone else said it has to be done via the new agency they cannot do anything by law... asked me to speak with the general manager of the new owners...

I ask to speak with the general manager of the new dealership to little avail, this morning the second in command to the GM calls me. I ask him to help me and before I can even start he cuts me off and says there will be no talk of transferring dealers and that they cannot do that. I ask if they dont know how or if it's that they wont and he flat out says that they wont, that they are taking delivery of the car and there is nothing I nor Ford can do about it. Absolutely unprofessional, I try to appeal to his sensibilities asking why they would treat their customers this way, that I have been a ford owner for decades, bought the 2005 Ford mustang the day it came out, etc and have been waiting for this car for two years. Didn't help at all, said they can do whatever they want and know that I have to abide by their terms or walk away and that they can make far more money on the car selling it to someone else than me. I ask to speak to the GM (whom I can hear is in the room and is telling this guy what to say) and they refuse saying he's around but busy and doesnt take calls. I ask to make an appointment with the GM and they say they'll take my info to see if maybe it's possible but that they'll just expect to see me when the car arrives in Jan... I ask them why they would ever treat someone like this and what do they expect will happen next? That given the position they are putting me in I will be posting my situation all over social media, leaving reviews of my experience, filing a complaint with the BBB and consumer protection groups, talking to the local media and bringing in lawyers given that this is extortion. His answer, we dont care, do what you need to do, we're telling you that we are taking the car in January and you can accept our terms or walk away...

I call ford marketing back and they say that unfortunately they are right, they cant do anything about it and that they have escalated the case but the answer will be the same... and that given the holidays I can expect to get a call back before new year's or in Jan.

I can't believe this is happening or that Ford or a new dealership would treat their customers this way, the car is being built 1/10, once the car is sent to the dealer I know there's nothing that can be done. I never signed anything with Aaron Ford, it was all through the main Ford website and with Perry Ford which no longer exists, I honestly dont know what to do, please help
Sponsored

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
I'm not a lawyer so could be wrong but wouldn't any agreements (assuming you got them in writing) carry over to the new owners just like when an apartment building gets sold and all leases transfer to the new owner?

OP
OP

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
I'm not a lawyer so could be wrong but wouldn't any agreements (assuming you got them in writing) carry over to the new owners just like when an apartment building gets sold and all leases transfer to the new owner?
you'd think but the answer is no since the agrement isn't actually signed until you sign the contract with the dealership once they have the car, you can always walk away and not purchase the car if you want, which in this case is exactly what the dealership is hoping for knowing they can sell the car for far more if I walk away.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
tl;dr placed order through website, dealer that was taking delivery no longer exists, new owners refuse to honor the agreement with the previous dealership and wont take x-plan, want to charge a very high ADM and didnt even register for the ca clean air rebate. They flat our refuse to transfer the order to a new dealer and said there is nothing I nor Ford can do about it. Ford marketing agrees...

Holy cow, sorry to hear this, it's just awful.

This dealer seems to have hit all the possible scumbag buttons at once. Let's hope Ford will ultimately intervene and move your order to a different dealer. I would not want to deal with them now even if they changed their tune and fulfilled the original agreement.

OP
OP

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
Holy cow, sorry to hear this, it's just awful.

This dealer seems to have hit all the possible scumbag buttons at once. Let's hope Ford will ultimately intervene and move your order to a different dealer. I would not want to deal with them now even if they changed their tune and fulfilled the original agreement.
I have never dealt with anyone more unprofessional in my life, I honestly can't understand how or why they would ever do this

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
i would write as many negative reviews as i can on yelp and google warning people of this dealer. you might have some leverage with that. i'd also picket outside their dealership and scare off any potential customers. dealers have a hard enough time getting people in the doors as it is with ADMs

OP
OP

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
i would write as many negative reviews as i can on yelp and google warning people of this dealer. you might have some leverage with that. i'd also picket outside their dealership and scare off any potential customers. dealers have a hard enough time getting people in the doors as it is with ADMs
I have never left bad reviews but I honestly see no other way, if they are treating long-term ford customers this way as a new dealership I cant imagine how they'll be once they are more established, the wife and I were actually joking about getting people to picket them earlier in the week. I am going to reach out to the local news agencies since they do consumer protection stories all the time hope that they can call the dealership and ask and hopefully that will be enough to make them realize they should transfer the order to a different dealership, issue is with the holidays all those consumer groups are likely out and my car was supposed to be built 1/10 so time is running out

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
OP's only recourse is someone like Mike Levine.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
??

If they already called in to Ford, the FMC account won't help them. They already have a case in the system. The correct answer is to reach out to Mike Levine or Emma Bergg

Mike's twitter is @mrlevine
Emma's is @ebergg

OP
OP

Scipio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT Performance
Country flag
??

If they already called in to Ford, the FMC account won't help them. They already have a case in the system. The correct answer is to reach out to Mike Levine or Emma Bergg

Mike's twitter is @mrlevine
Emma's is @ebergg
Thanks I had seen Mike Levine mentioned in other posts and someone recommended him on this thread earlier, but I had not heard of Emma, will reach out to her as well, thanks for the contact.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Hate to say it... cancel and find a cancelled order at another dealer. They CANNOT force you to buy something.
Sponsored