Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CR1 (Job 1)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I've got a Job 1 2021 California Route 1. Over the past couple of months I've gotten the "Plugged in Not Charging" message quite a bit. It charges for a few minutes then just stops with this message in the app. This has happed at home and at a destination charger that I use once a week or so.

At home:
The car is set to charge to 90%. No charging time is set on the car or the charger. The charger is a Pulsar Wallbox on a 14-50 set to charge at 40A. When it happens the car says "Plugged in Not Charging" and the Pulsar Wallbox says "Paused - waiting for car to request charge" (or something similar). If this happens unplugging it and trying again usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to do this a few times but it eventually works. This happened often for a week or so then was perfect for a few weeks only to start again last night. I did notice last night that the charging speed seemed to toggle between 6.4kw and 8.6kw every 10ish minutes (per my wallbox).

At the destination charger:
No max charge percent or charging time is configured. There are 2 32A chargers (Edit - correction, they are 40A chargers). I'm pretty sure they are both on the same 80A circuit. Both seem to be able to charge a friends Lightning but error with my car. We tested this at the exact same time and his truck charged and my car wouldn't. Unplugging and trying again seems to not help it but I haven't tried it more than 2x in one go.

The fact that it happens at two different locations makes me think it's something with the car and not with the chargers. I've got an appointment with Ford next week to have the brake wiring recall dealt with and am going to have them take a look at it. I'm not optimistic that they are going to be able to reproduce it since it happens relatively rarely. I wish there was a way for the car to tell me WHY it decided not to charge.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Easy problem solving. Use Ford Mobile Charger. If it works, the issue is your Wallbox. If not, the issue is either the car or the outlet.

OP
OP

josephyancey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CR1 (Job 1)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Easy problem solving. Use Ford Mobile Charger. If it works, the issue is your Wallbox. If not, the issue is either the car or the outlet.
The only reason I have the wallbox is because the ford mobile charger broken on me over a year ago. It overheats and gives the amber light error (on any plug - not just at home). Ford told me to go pound sand when I asked them to replace it.

I'm not sure that it working on the ford mobile charger would prove anything anyway though because it works most of the time on my wallbox. Reproducing this issue is going to be difficult because it's intermittent. I have already proven that it happens on multiple chargers since it happens on the destination charger that I know works with other vehicles.

I did come across this post (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/l2-charging-speed-recently-dropped-33.28779/) which shows other people having charging issues that started with the DCFC update that came out at the end of May. It looks to be thermal monitoring in the car shutting things down. The charging speed toggling between 8kw and 6kw sounds like what they are experiencing. Some owners there reported having issues with not being able to charge when this happens.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
How easy is it to reduce the current on your Wallbox? A lot of Job 1s seem to be having charging issues at 40+ amps after some recent updates. Try 32 amps or 24 amps if that works with your schedule.

OP
OP

josephyancey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CR1 (Job 1)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How easy is it to reduce the current on your Wallbox? A lot of Job 1s seem to be having charging issues at 40+ amps after some recent updates. Try 32 amps or 24 amps if that works with your schedule.
It’s very easy. I just checked and it’s actually set to 39A right now. I’ll try 32 and see if it’s more reliable. The destination charger already at 32A worries me. I feel like if it’s this flaky I’m going to get stuck somewhere. There isn’t a way to control the charge speed from the car so if it’s higher amps that cause the issue I can’t trust chargers that I can’t lower the speed on.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not optimistic that they are going to be able to reproduce it since it happens relatively rarely. I wish there was a way for the car to tell me WHY it decided not to charge.
Mine just dropped to 32 from 40 after 2.5 years but no errors or messages. Maybe dropping home to 32 amp may help. May be harder to do at the destination charger what is it at? Was there a software version update that did it? You would be a couple of months ahead of me?

Intermittent are the worse. Screen capture messages with time stamps would be good. Document it as best as you can. Tell your service early so they can research it before it goes in. No reason to believe you are just making it up for something to do.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I've got a Job 1 2021 California Route 1. Over the past couple of months I've gotten the "Plugged in Not Charging" message quite a bit. It charges for a few minutes then just stops with this message in the app. This has happed at home and at a destination charger that I use once a week or so.

At home:
The car is set to charge to 90%. No charging time is set on the car or the charger. The charger is a Pulsar Wallbox on a 14-50 set to charge at 40A. When it happens the car says "Plugged in Not Charging" and the Pulsar Wallbox says "Paused - waiting for car to request charge" (or something similar). If this happens unplugging it and trying again usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to do this a few times but it eventually works. This happened often for a week or so then was perfect for a few weeks only to start again last night. I did notice last night that the charging speed seemed to toggle between 6.4kw and 8.6kw every 10ish minutes (per my wallbox).

At the destination charger:
No max charge percent or charging time is configured. There are 2 32A chargers. I'm pretty sure they are both on the same 80A circuit. Both seem to be able to charge a friends Lightning but error with my car. We tested this at the exact same time and his truck charged and my car wouldn't. Unplugging and trying again seems to not help it but I haven't tried it more than 2x in one go.

The fact that it happens at two different locations makes me think it's something with the car and not with the chargers. I've got an appointment with Ford next week to have the brake wiring recall dealt with and am going to have them take a look at it. I'm not optimistic that they are going to be able to reproduce it since it happens relatively rarely. I wish there was a way for the car to tell me WHY it decided not to charge.
Hello, Joseph! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
It’s very easy. I just checked and it’s actually set to 39A right now. I’ll try 32 and see if it’s more reliable. The destination charger already at 32A worries me. I feel like if it’s this flaky I’m going to get stuck somewhere. There isn’t a way to control the charge speed from the car so if it’s higher amps that cause the issue I can’t trust chargers that I can’t lower the speed on.
Mine got worse over time, until even the dealer could reproduce it.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello, Joseph! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!
Keep us informed lets us know how it is going and what the fix was.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Yes, I've had the same problem for the past year. We tried replacing the charging port today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Receptacle and cable replacment.jpg
Anecdotally, it seems like a lot of 2021s are getting new charge ports recently.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I've recently started having AC charging issues on my 21 job 1 too.

When my charging stops, the car says "charge station fault" and my EVSE rapidly flickers between "EV connected" and "No EV connected"

Is this consistent with anyone else who has had to replace the charge port?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I got "Plugged in Not Charging" the past couple days at work (32A ClipperCreek, 208V). Same charger I always use, contacts look fine. I found that pulling down on FordPass to refresh status caused charging to resume. Not sure if the refresh triggered it, or if it had already resumed on its own. Very strange bug.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its not just job 1 but also job 2 and probably others, but the issue I think you are talking about is reduced charge rate, the OP here states his isn’t even charging. A different issue, I think.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Its not just job 1 but also job 2 and probably others, but the issue I think you are talking about is reduced charge rate, the OP here states his isn’t even charging. A different issue, I think.
Is it or is it that some peoples EVSE will not vary (lower) the charge amperage automatically and therefore charging stops? Once it is lowered manually it will charge again. Think code P0E5F may be present will need to look one day. There is this Link. My Grizzl-e extreme has not stopped just the speed of charging (amperage) has decreased.
Sponsored