Polestar 2 US price announced

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
meanwhile Windows 95 shipped with Windows Update over 25 years ago.

Google has a long history of reinventing every problem Microsoft has ever had, then solving it, instead of learning from history.
That's not the problem. The problem started with the carriers and then manufacturers. iPhone started exclusive on AT&T because they were the only ones willing to meet Apple's demands -- full carrier bypass of the phone image.

Google didn't even attempt that (AFAIK). Apple was getting bad press and sued about Anti-trust wrt the AT&T exclusivity. Google was doing things "open" with the Open Handset Alliance. Unfortunately carriers are stupid. And they were controlling the rollout of updates after the phone manufacturers released them. Then the manufacturers wanted to differentiate their phones from the competitors so started making heavy modifications to the phones which made it difficult to keep up to date. So Google has been trying to make it easier with Project Treble and Project Mainline.

Google may have been naive in the past regarding this, but today, the blame really falls on the device manufacturers. Google releases updates to the phones all the time, then it stops with the manufactures.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
That's not the problem. The problem started with the carriers and then manufacturers. iPhone started exclusive on AT&T because they were the only ones willing to meet Apple's demands -- full carrier bypass of the phone image.
This was one of the few truly revolutionary, vs. evolutionary or even downstep, things the original iPhone did.

And it falls into the "mistakes Microsoft made being repeated" thing. Generally Windows CE phones (they had different marketing names over time - Pocket PC Phone Edition, etc.) was rarely updated in the field because device manufacturers and carriers were allowed to get their way - "want Pocket PC 2002 when you have 2000? Buy a new device with a new contract!" Apple recognized this and fixed it. Google... didn't.

Google may have been naive in the past regarding this, but today, the blame really falls on the device manufacturers. Google releases updates to the phones all the time, then it stops with the manufactures.
Again, this was solved over 25 years ago. Google ships an OS that can't take an update directly from the Android OS people at Google. ("But Pixel!" doesn't count, because the hardware side of Google has to be involved still.) This is a fundamental design issue completely in Google's control. It's not even a "but device manufacturers could turn it off" type thing because there's a ton of requirements to ship the Google app suite (Play Store, Maps, etc.) on top of AOSP - "don't interfere with OS updates" could be a requirement and overnight, you're done from a paperwork viewpoint.

Yes, they are getting better, but it's still broken.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
This was one of the few truly revolutionary, vs. evolutionary or even downstep, things the original iPhone did.

And it falls into the "mistakes Microsoft made being repeated" thing. Generally Windows CE phones (they had different marketing names over time - Pocket PC Phone Edition, etc.) was rarely updated in the field because device manufacturers and carriers were allowed to get their way - "want Pocket PC 2002 when you have 2000? Buy a new device with a new contract!" Apple recognized this and fixed it. Google... didn't.
Google didn't have that clout with carriers like Apple did. Google had to compete with the already to market iPhone. Apple didn't have much to lose by continuing to strong arm carriers. But Google had to get their phone out there. And remember, AT&T was suffering under the iPhone's heavy data usage. Being on the carriers people want to be on was an advantage that Google had at the time.

Again, this was solved over 25 years ago. Google ships an OS that can't take an update directly from the Android OS people at Google. ("But Pixel!" doesn't count, because the hardware side of Google has to be involved still.) This is a fundamental design issue completely in Google's control. It's not even a "but device manufacturers could turn it off" type thing because there's a ton of requirements to ship the Google app suite (Play Store, Maps, etc.) on top of AOSP - "don't interfere with OS updates" could be a requirement and overnight, you're done from a paperwork viewpoint.
I think your underestimating the amount of work the manufacturers do to customize/screw up Android. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.
Yes, they are getting better, but it's still broken.
I agree. In the mean time I stick with Pixel devices.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
In the mean time I stick with Pixel devices.
I do too, for now.

Even Pixel phones and iPhones stop receiving manufacturer updates after some number of years.

I plan to keep my vehicle 7 years, and hopefully longer than that. Its SYNC tech will feel out of date. At some point during vehicle ownership, I'll be happy to switchover to Bluetooth or Android Auto so I can keep the tech fresh, as I guarantee you that within 7 years I won't be using this $250 phone any more and whatever replaces it will be more secure and more capable than SYNC 4A.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
meanwhile Windows 95 shipped with Windows Update over 25 years ago.

Google has a long history of reinventing every problem Microsoft has ever had, then solving it, instead of learning from history.
Just curious, do you have a windows 95 machine that has continued to update to windows 10?

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy