Polestar 2 US price announced

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
You have a LOT more faith than I would. The only phones that get regular and timely Android updates are the ones you mentioned. The ones specifically produced for Google, and sold as Google phones. I guess if Google comes out with an actual car, you could expect timely updates.
Yes, in the long run. But for now, this is the only one available and Google will want to showcase the ability of Android Automotive, so I'd consider this equivalent to how they handle their own flagship products, up until they actually release their Pixel car!

Many of the issues with updates is, even after Google releases it, the manufacturers and even carriers want to get their hands on it before you can get the update. Polestar may be the same way, but as the relationship is basically 1 to 1, the delays shouldn't be that much.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Polestar is a non issue until you can get service outside of Ny or California or whatever. So maybe starting later next year.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Polestar is a non issue until you can get service outside of Ny or California or whatever. So maybe starting later next year.
That's an important consideration for a substantial number of BEV buyers. I live in Hawaii, some things which are good ideas and important to those in California, New York, etc are worthless to me. and vice versa. It's important for folks to do their research and ask questions regardless of which vehicle they're considering.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Even in SoCal it seems like the only dealership is in LA. Maybe you can get it serviced at a Volvo if you need to?

I love the way they look, but I have small gripes about the car like the cupholders. I'm a big android user but I see their big tablet as a con. Google is known to pick up big projects then drop them or lag on support. My experience with Android Auto is that they'd also fix 1 thing while breaking others.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Maybe you can get it serviced at a Volvo if you need to?
It's been pretty clearly stated so far that this will 100% not be possible. Will they stick to that? Who knows. But it's their stated position today. I think that's even elsewhere in this thread.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That's an important consideration for a substantial number of BEV buyers. I live in Hawaii, some things which are good ideas and important to those in California, New York, etc are worthless to me. and vice versa. It's important for folks to do their research and ask questions regardless of which vehicle they're considering.
I feel like there's two different, equally valid things here.

Hitting the places they are hitting covers a substantial fraction of where BEV buyers are today. (Certainly not all - I'm not saying "all.") That has some validity if you're just getting started (e. g. Kia) - if you're limited anyway, at least go where you are pretty sure customers are going to be.

But it doesn't cover a substantial fraction of car buyers in the US, overall, nor potential BEV buyers.

The general availability is what GM, Ford, and Tesla have gotten right here. (Yes I know not everyone can get a First Edition but pretty much everyone that wanted a Mach-E can get some trim level ordered, no matter what state they live in. Whether it's the trim level they want due to limiting numbers is a different discussion that's irrelevant to the point here, which is about geographical distribution.) Living in Ohio, there's many BEVs and even PHEVs that I basically can't buy new.

[Note: again this is all US centric; sorry.]

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
It's been pretty clearly stated so far that this will 100% not be possible. Will they stick to that? Who knows. But it's their stated position today. I think that's even elsewhere in this thread.
Correct. The latest is that you have to be within 150 miles of the Polestar service center. If so, they come to you, pick up car and deliver it back. Outside of 150, Polestar will charge customer for shipping to/from service center.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Correct. The latest is that you have to be within 150 miles of the Polestar service center. If so, they come to you, pick up car and deliver it back. Outside of 150, Polestar will charge customer for shipping to/from service center.
That's similar to what Tesla does in Hawaii. Shipping to Honolulu is at your expense, even for warranty items.

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Yeah Pixels get quick updates. My gripe with google isn't with android phones but their other projects. Android Auto constantly has bugs and Android Wear is, quite frankly, bad compared to Tizen and WearOS.

Also, will this tablet lock you out like it does for Android Auto?

Last edited:

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Yeah Pixels get quick updates. My gripe with google isn't with android phones but their other projects. Android Auto constantly has bugs and Android Wear is, quite frankly, bad compared to Tizen and WearOS.

Also, will this tablet lock you out like it does for Android Auto?
As with Android, you will likely be at Polestar's mercy for updates. Google won't be pushing direct updates to this most likely. That's where Android phones fall apart on updates. Google makes LOTS of updates to Android (see Pixel), it's when it requires LG, Samsung, HTC, etc etc etc to coordinate with ATT, Verizon, sprint ect to push it to their modified versions of Android to their phones.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As with Android, you will likely be at Polestar's mercy for updates. Google won't be pushing direct updates to this most likely. That's where Android phones fall apart on updates. Google makes LOTS of updates to Android (see Pixel), it's when it requires LG, Samsung, HTC, etc etc etc to coordinate with ATT, Verizon, sprint ect to push it to their modified versions of Android to their phones.
Exactly. In fact often times phone manufacturers don't even push Android updates to certain phones models, leaving them locked into Android 7 or 8.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Exactly. In fact often times phone manufacturers don't even push Android updates to certain phones models, leaving them locked into Android 7 or 8.
Yeah , I had this discussion earlier in this thread with someone who has a lot more faith in Google than I would.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Not to get too far off topic, but in later versions of Android they moved stuff out of the OS updates and into the playstore so that Google can update directly, called Project Mainline. Things are better in the Android update world. Still a long way to go though.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Not to get too far off topic, but in later versions of Android they moved stuff out of the OS updates and into the playstore so that Google can update directly, called Project Mainline. Things are better in the Android update world. Still a long way to go though.
meanwhile Windows 95 shipped with Windows Update over 25 years ago.

Google has a long history of reinventing every problem Microsoft has ever had, then solving it, instead of learning from history.
Sponsored