Polestar 2 US price announced

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Just watched reviews for the Polestar 2. If I lived anywhere close to LA or NYC I'd really really consider it! Looks beautiful and except for the range has basically everything I'd want in a vehicle!
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just watched reviews for the Polestar 2. If I lived anywhere close to LA or NYC I'd really really consider it! Looks beautiful and except for the range has basically everything I'd want in a vehicle!
Polestar predicts the EPA range to be about 275 miles, which might be a little bit more than the MME AWD ER that you cancelled.

Are you looking instead towards the Lucid Air sedan?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Polestar predicts the EPA range to be about 275 miles, which might be a little bit more than the MME AWD ER that you cancelled.

Lucid Air is out of my price range. 275 mile range isn't bad, but I'm curious how that would relate to actual range. InsideEV roughly estimated it at 200 with some aggressive driving, so that could work.

But I'm not driving (or even worse flying) to NYC or LA to pick it up.

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
In his video, Bjorn states the measurement "wasn't that much useful" because he stopped at 35-36% SOC remaining, and in his experience, apparent efficiency goes up as you get towards/into the last 10%. (This might be due to how the computer is calculating percentage remaining? Just speculating.)

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how Bjorn's test drive compares with the EPA rating. It's not a highway only rating, but I believe it's biased a bit more towards highway than the WLTP. I'm using the Polestar's current estimate of 275 miles range, since it isn't published on fueleconomy.gov yet.

EPA range estimate (miles)Bjørn, extrapolated miles driven at 75 mph% of EPA
Model 3, 18" Performance, 72F outside32224375%
Polestar 2, 64F outside27519069%

Yes, this doesn't look so hot. IIRC, Tesla is one of the furthest from its EPA estimate at highway speeds? And Bjørn's single-run test looks markedly worse.

Of course, Bjørn's test isn't statistically significant whatsoever... But it's always nicer to see numbers closer to the estimates like with the real world results from Hyundai and Kia.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Bjorn Nyland's range test of the Polestar 2 was not very promising.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It is a Polestar developed solution, with a few apps handed off to Google, and minimal effort to provide cohesion.

Let's look at another example. The Honda CR-V head unit is running Android. And, it supports AA and AC from compatible, tethered phones. This is great because even though Honda's version of Android is old and feature limited, you have a wide array of up to date alternatives available to be projected from your phone. Plus, your phone already has your personal data and preferences, and a data connection with high quotas.

The Polestar interface is currently *much more limited* than Honda's, even though it's a more recent version of Android.

For example, on the Honda (or anywhere else supporting Android Auto), I can play podcasts through my preferred podcast app and if want to, I can get maps via Waze. With Android Automotive, though, we're currently sitting at about a dozen apps in total. My podcast app and Waze are not among them, yet.

I don't see how the choice of Android Automotive is a better offering for the driver, compared to the AOSP, QNX, Linux, or other choices used by auto manufacturers. However, I do see it as a win for Polestar from a marketing point of view.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Apps like Maps and Contacts might flow directly from Google to the car. But I strongly suspect that OS updates go to Polestar for final integration before being repackaged and provided to end customers.

The cadence and selection of OS and security updates that the vehicles receive will be up to the OEM (Polestar with Android Automotive, Ford with QNX). The OEM will also be responsible for all other firmware updates, such as power train controls, battery management, Mobileye computer, radars, cameras, etc.

I can't imagine how Polestar would be comfortable with allowing Google to bypass Polestar's control over a subsystem that is part of the overall vehicle that Polestar warrants as functioning safely and properly for its end customers.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Bjorn Nyland did a charging test on the Polestar 2. The charging curve and charging time-miles gained tables were good pieces of information to have.

Despite the crappy efficiency, the Polestar 2 goes from 10% to 80% in 32 minutes and gains 300km (@56mph) of range in that time. Tesla Model 3 wins the charging speed contest and it's not even close but for a non-Tesla, the Polestar is quite good and we should all be so lucky to have the MME get to 80% in 32 minutes and 300km of range even quicker.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Polestar 2 US price announced Screenshot_20200822-133440

Ford Mustang Mach-E Polestar 2 US price announced Screenshot_20200822-135451~3

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just like they are so good at updating Android phones? Surely you jest.

google-android-update-problem-pie-q-treble-mainline
Depends on which Android phone you have. I've never had issues with phones from Google (nexus or pixel) getting timely updates. Being this is the first and only car with Android automotive, I'm guessing it will get timely updates until there are many more options.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Depends on which Android phone you have. I've never had issues with phones from Google (nexus or pixel) getting timely updates. Being this is the first and only car with Android automotive, I'm guessing it will get timely updates until there are many more options.
You have a LOT more faith than I would. The only phones that get regular and timely Android updates are the ones you mentioned. The ones specifically produced for Google, and sold as Google phones. I guess if Google comes out with an actual car, you could expect timely updates.
Sponsored