Powering a Rear Dash Cam (cleanly)?

JED1O66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E
Apologies that this has likely been asked before. I have seen it alluded to, but struggling to find the specifics.

Basically what I am looking to do is use two Garmins as a front and rear dash cam. I'm opting to go this route over the Fitcamx (in case anyone wants to recommend that, I am aware). I understand that I can use the Dongar adapter for the front camera to be powered under the mirror housing, but struggling to find details on how to power the rear. I did see one example where someone ran wires down to the 12v outlet in the rear, but wanting a cleaner looking solution than that if possible. Also, only needing it to provide power while the car is on (aka, no sentry mode).

I did see another example not specific to the Garmin that seemed to mention running the rear to the front mirror housing as well, but no specifics on how that would be powered (additional adapter?). Maybe I misunderstood it.

So, TLDR: How do I power a rear camera cleanly (hiding wires)?

Thanks in advance,

JED
Sponsored

flyingdutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Just to let you know, the Donger adaptor does work but the mirror is not a constant power source. It is intermittent.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Apologies that this has likely been asked before. I have seen it alluded to, but struggling to find the specifics.

Basically what I am looking to do is use two Garmins as a front and rear dash cam. I'm opting to go this route over the Fitcamx (in case anyone wants to recommend that, I am aware). I understand that I can use the Dongar adapter for the front camera to be powered under the mirror housing, but struggling to find details on how to power the rear. I did see one example where someone ran wires down to the 12v outlet in the rear, but wanting a cleaner looking solution than that if possible. Also, only needing it to provide power while the car is on (aka, no sentry mode).

I did see another example not specific to the Garmin that seemed to mention running the rear to the front mirror housing as well, but no specifics on how that would be powered (additional adapter?). Maybe I misunderstood it.

So, TLDR: How do I power a rear camera cleanly (hiding wires)?

Thanks in advance,

JED
I installed my Thinkware front and rear cameras, powered from the fuse panel at the passenger footwell, using fuse taps purchased off Amazon. This thread has lots of info:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...amx-dash-cam-in-our-2023-premium.25135/page-4

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Since the rear cigarette lighter socket is switched, you can just run your wires through the door’s flex conduit, through the headliner, down the side panel, and tap into the power lead for the socket. If you don’t like that idea, just continue running wire up to the passenger footwell fuse box and use a fuse tap to connect to a switched power source. 😊🐩

Thunderbuck

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
IT Tech
Country flag

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I have a thinkware as well, it is a pain to wire up front and rear, but I think that pain is less than the trouble you'll go to trying to wire the rear camera and then having to manage two separate cameras.

I also have their lfp battery add-on for continuous recording when the car is off.

OP
OP

JED1O66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E
I have a thinkware as well, it is a pain to wire up front and rear, but I think that pain is less than the trouble you'll go to trying to wire the rear camera and then having to manage two separate cameras.

I also have their lfp battery add-on for continuous recording when the car is off.
Garmin has wireless sync, so the biggest challenge appears to be finding an easily accessible and suitable power source for the rear camera. I really appreciate the info given so far, I may reconsider the cam choice.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Garmin has wireless sync, so the biggest challenge appears to be finding an easily accessible and suitable power source for the rear camera. I really appreciate the info given so far, I may reconsider the cam choice.

Honestly, if they can sync wirelessly that changes things, about time for features like that! It will probably still be a bit of pain, but my best guess is tapping the 12v like HuntingPudel suggested and then it depends on where you will mount it. If you want top middle of rear window, you'll probably have to go up through the rear pillar trim to the ceiling, and then snake the wire through one of the rubber channels there to the back windows.

Not too different from running the wire from the front other than the journey the wire takes to get to that point.

If you wanted to run battery pack to keep it on while the car is off, you'd probably just want to choose one of the cameras to do it with, and if you are using the mirror tap then your only option really is the rear cam. Not sure what is compatible with Garmin cams, but there is probably something universal.

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
Just to let you know, the Donger adaptor does work but the mirror is not a constant power source. It is intermittent.
Do you have more info on this? How often (and for how long) is power cut? I recently connected my front camera via this method and it has been receiving power and recording video without interruptions that I noticed. Granted I am using a Garmin 67W that has an internal battery (so it can handle brief infrequent power interruptions).

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Do you have more info on this? How often (and for how long) is power cut? I recently connected my front camera via this method and it has been receiving power and recording video without interruptions that I noticed. Granted I am using a Garmin 67W that has an internal battery (so it can handle brief infrequent power interruptions).
Mirror power is switched, not intermittent. It powers down with all of the other accessories, approximately 15 minutes after the car is switched off. 😊🐩

OP
OP

JED1O66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E
Mirror power is switched, not intermittent. It powers down with all of the other accessories, approximately 15 minutes after the car is switched off. 😊🐩
Going back to the dongar and the mirror power, I'm wondering if I could use a USB split to have it power both Garmin's assuming the cable from the rear can reach it.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Going back to the dongar and the mirror power, I'm wondering if I could use a USB split to have it power both Garmin's assuming the cable from the rear can reach it.
It’s way easier to power the rear camera off of the 12V lead for the cigarette lighter socket or off of a power tap in the fuse box. 🤷‍♂️🐩

OP
OP

JED1O66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E
It’s way easier to power the rear camera off of the 12V lead for the cigarette lighter socket or off of a power tap in the fuse box. 🤷‍♂️🐩
Fair enough. I guess the part I am missing is what I would use for the 12v lead for the cigarette lighter socket. I assume we are talking about the one in back on the passenger side.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Fair enough. I guess the part I am missing is what I would use for the 12v lead for the cigarette lighter socket. I assume we are talking about the one in back on the passenger side.
Just tap into the power that goes into the back side of the socket. There are a number of ways to do that. I would make a “T” wire with a male and female connector on two ends that go between the car’s harness and the cigarette lighter socket, with the third lead headed toward the dash cam. 😊🐩

OP
OP

JED1O66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E
Just tap into the power that goes into the back side of the socket. There are a number of ways to do that. I would make a “T” wire with a male and female connector on two ends that go between the car’s harness and the cigarette lighter socket, with the third lead headed toward the dash cam. 😊🐩
I really appreciate the info and the help. Sadly, I'm pretty ignorant to this specifically. Is there an existing T wire (i.e. something like the dongar) or are you suggesting creating one via splicing something? I did find this image of what appears to be the location in question.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Powering a Rear Dash Cam (cleanly)? Screenshot 2024-04-17 165902
Sponsored