JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
Got the dreaded powertrain malfuction warning with the odometer reading only 329. It couldn't have run over 55 mph for more than 20 minutes total and only did a couple of quick DCFC sessions to make sure plug and charge worked correctly.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Shut off the car, open the door, wait 5 minutes, and try again. If it goes away it's probably the gear shift glitch, not serious.

OP
OP
JRSNoVa

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does it need to move to clear? I started it after a half hour and the message is still on.

helium89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Country flag
Does it need to move to clear? I started it after a half hour and the message is still on.
If it’s the car in your signature, the build date is recent enough that you have the updated HVBJB, so it’s highly unlikely that that’s the problem. Does the car still drive? Most auto parts stores will let you borrow a code reader for a few minutes. It plugs into a port near the driver’s left knee. That will tell you exactly what caused the error.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No. Does the car still drive? Does it feel like it's much less powerful?

If it’s the car in your signature, the build date is recent enough that you have the updated HVBJB, so it’s highly unlikely that that’s the problem. Does the car still drive? Most auto parts stores will let you borrow a code reader for a few minutes. It plugs into a port near the driver’s left knee. That will tell you exactly what caused the error.
Those part store code readers don't usually work on EVs FYI. Zero emissions vehicles don't need to use the OBDII standard.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hopefully just a glitch for you! The actual record can never be broken because someone’s HVBJB failed when they drove it off the lot. It was a defective HVBJB so maybe that does not count towards the record.

OP
OP
JRSNoVa

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No. Does the car still drive? Does it feel like it's much less powerful?
As you can infer from the mileage, it hasn't gotten out much yet. I was on a quick local trip when the error popped up. I didn't notice anything different but it also never got over 30 mph.

Mcarter

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME premium AWD standard
Country flag
Got the dreaded powertrain malfuction warning with the odometer reading only 329. It couldn't have run over 55 mph for more than 20 minutes total and only did a couple of quick DCFC sessions to make sure plug and charge worked correctly.
On the First Mach -E Premium Standard Range that I had back in November of 21, I didn't even have it 2 weeks and barely had 50 miles on it and 26 of those were on there when I picked it up from the dealership, I got the dreaded Powertrain Malfunction. Dealership gave me the runaround on the malfunction as well as Ford, couldn't explain why my brand new vehicle had those miles on there but I chalked it up to test driving but nevertheless after the runaround and no one giving me straight answers on the malfunction I sold it. I ordered a ER Premium Back in February and got it in September but so far so good but haven't driven it much with the summer tires. Best of Luck with it and I hope it all works out well for you.

OP
OP
JRSNoVa

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was able to take it on a quick jaunt with a stop. When I restarted it after the stop, the error message had cleared.

Seems consistent with a shifter issue -- nothing changed from resting but changing gears did the trick.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The same thing happened to me, and it turns out it was the shift knob error also. It has never recurred.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Did the message stay on after you pressed OK on the steering wheel?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
OP
OP
JRSNoVa

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did the message stay on after you pressed OK on the steering wheel?
When I started the later drive it stayed on at first. I wasn't paying attention after I shifted from R to D, so it could have gone off then or after the brief stop.
Sponsored