"Proactive" 12v battery replacement - good idea or overkill?

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mme premium ER AWD 2016 Kia, 2003 Honda
Country flag
My wife and I took delivery of my wife's 2022 MME GT in July of 2022. So far we have had no problems or issues with the car at all.

I recall reading in one of the tagged 12v battery information posts on this forum that 12v batteries usually last 2 to 2 1/2 years. Given that the 12v battery in our MME GT will be 2 years old this coming July, I am considering proactively replacing it even though the car is functioning fine.

My main concern is that I don't want the 12v battery to die unexpectedly, leaving my wife or me stranded and in need of a tow. I think replacing the 12v battery proactively would give me peace of mind.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or overkill?

Thank you,
Joe
Thereā€™s no guarantee a brand new battery would be free of defects. Possibly end up needing a tow anyway.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Does that include labor? AFAIK, the MME battery replacement requires complete removal of the frunk tub which I doubt is something most shops are going to want to do as part of a ā€œfree installationā€
That's just for the part, you would have to install it yourself. I imagine the dealer would charge extra to install it.
I don't think you have to remove the entire frunk tub, probably just the back center cover and the right side cover. I've never done it, but doesn't look hard.

n2585722

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Read your manual on how to jump it by accessing the contacts near your front bumper.
What are you going to use to jump it with since that requires 12v to do if you source is in the frunk.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Frunk or under the rear trunk floor.
Itā€™s not very useful in either of those places. Youā€™d still need to power the emergency frunk release leads somehow.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
My wife and I took delivery of my wife's 2022 MME GT in July of 2022. So far we have had no problems or issues with the car at all.

I recall reading in one of the tagged 12v battery information posts on this forum that 12v batteries usually last 2 to 2 1/2 years. Given that the 12v battery in our MME GT will be 2 years old this coming July, I am considering proactively replacing it even though the car is functioning fine.

My main concern is that I don't want the 12v battery to die unexpectedly, leaving my wife or me stranded and in need of a tow. I think replacing the 12v battery proactively would give me peace of mind.

Thank you,
Joe

GO BRUINS!

Shepherd

First Name
Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT, Carbonized Grey. "Magneto"
Occupation
Federal Government
Where would you effectively carry it?
Iā€™ve carried one for years. Itā€™s several years old and compact enough to fit under the rear floor. But yeah I see your point of not being able to access it.

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Iā€™ve carried one for years. Itā€™s several years old and compact enough to fit under the rear floor.
Which does you a lot of good when the car is dead, and you're not in it...

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Iā€™ve carried one for years. Itā€™s several years old and compact enough to fit under the rear floor.
If the 12V battery is dead how would get to it?

Shepherd

First Name
Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT, Carbonized Grey. "Magneto"
Occupation
Federal Government
Which does you a lot of good when the car is dead, and you're not in it...
Carrying it is a habit of old so if thereā€™s no warning to take it out I will just rely on the emergency assistance benefit.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
You don't know if your replacement battery will be any better. We just replaced the battery in our Fusion last winter and it died this winter because it had a bad cell. Didn't even last 1 year. The battery you have may last a very long time. Or it might not. Changing it out only helps if you know the state and future of each of the batteries.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Just an update on my experience. I have a job 1 21 that I've had since June of 21. It was on dealer lot for about 6 weeks prior. Went out to meet someone for dinner and car was completely dead. Couldn't unlock at all. I jumped the frunk and tested the battery and it failed. Luckily for me, my ford dealership has a mobile service as my car was in the garage. Came out next day, changed out battery in less than an hour and only charged me $275 for entire service including battery. Just be aware that I had zero indication that my battery was on verge of failing until it did. So, if you may be worried that it could leave you stranded somewhere else than your residence, 3 years seems about right

pottslaw

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD ER (Infinite Blue)
Country flag
Here in Arizona, I proactively replace the batteries in my ICE vehicles at 32 months. In the 40 years we've lived here, I've only had a few batteries that made it through three consecutive Phoenix summers. The heat is much harder on batteries here, and the expense of replacing the batteries on a fixed schedule is worth the peace of mind. The 12 volt battery on my 2021 Job 1 failed at 31 months (and was covered under the factory warranty), so it is going to be replaced at 32 months as well.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have a 2021 GTPE that I picked up in Jan 2022. I plan to replace it when I take it in for the three year check up which will be Jan 2025. I donā€™t drive much and only have about 15000 miles so I think the three years will work fine.
I have never understood this mindset (not limited to EV owners). Why would you replace a perfectly good working battery without load testing it to see if it needs replacement?

giphy.gif

RandyMache

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach e Premium
Occupation
Private Investigator
Country flag

Thank you,
Joe
In my humble opinion, and it is just one of many, I would wait until there are signs of degradation. I will tell you that from all manufactures, even motorcycles that I have owned, factory batteries have typically lasted 2 to 2.5 years. That is my experience of owner more than 15 new cars and motorcycles. Having said that, nothing wrong with giving yourself peace of mind.

I don't believe the Ford factory warrants car batteries past 1 year. After that its the battery warranty. Personally, I think they put in cheaper batteries at the factory. I've had factory batteries last 2 years, then I buy the exact same battery from the dealer [same model number] and the new battery last 6 years +. I've talked to other people who have had factory batteries last 6+ years from new. Do what you feel lets you sleep at night. It's a bit like changing your oil every 1,000 miles. You don't need too, but it doesn't hurt anything.
Sponsored