First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I forgot about my Recurrent account and removed the Mach-E this morning.
Me too. Removed Vehicle from Tronity, ABRP Tronity Link, and Recurrent. Requested my account be reactivated.
As Smartcar doesn't appear to be trustworthy, it's important to change your FordPass email and/or password as soon as possible, too. This will help lock out Smartcar.
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Can anyone confirm that Optiwatt is also a culprit? That's the only app I've used that may be an issue. I have deleted the app and contacted Optiwatt and they have deleted my account. I've not called Ford in a couple of days. Got tired of just being told BS that has nothing to do with the problem.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Can anyone confirm that Optiwatt is also a culprit? That's the only app I've used that may be an issue. I have deleted the app and contacted Optiwatt and they have deleted my account. I've not called Ford in a couple of days. Got tired of just being told BS that has nothing to do with the problem.
Yes, Optiwatt uses Smartcar so it's on the naughty list.

Reactions: TRP

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
So...why doesn't @Ford Motor Company prevent these unauthorized 3rd party services from being able to log into FordPass accounts? If the access shouldn't be allowed to begin with, it should be prevented rather than locking users out after the fact.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
So...why doesn't @Ford Motor Company prevent these unauthorized 3rd party services from being able to log into FordPass accounts? If the access shouldn't be allowed to begin with, it should be prevented rather than locking users out after the fact.
Yeah I'm not sure why they haven't blocked Smartcar's IP ranges and begun litigation... The FordPass terms have for at least 3 years now clearly stated that their type of access to data that Ford owns and makes available through a limited use license is strictly prohibited.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
So I got this email today, and Iā€™m locked out of my accountā€¦and Iā€™ve never used any of these apps that seem to be causing problems. Hell, I havenā€™t even heard of most of them. I have ABRP installed, but Iā€™ve never connected anything to it.

I have been getting that notification about electrical drain for a few weeks now, but Iā€™ve never installed or connected any third-party anything. Iā€˜m having enough problems with the first-party shit, why would I risk gumming up the works any further?!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So I got this email today, and Iā€™m locked out of my accountā€¦and Iā€™ve never used any of these apps that seem to be causing problems. Hell, I havenā€™t even heard of most of them. I have ABRP installed, but Iā€™ve never connected anything to it.

I have been getting that notification about electrical drain for a few weeks now, but Iā€™ve never installed or connected any third-party anything. Iā€˜m having enough problems with the first-party shit, why would I risk gumming up the works any further?!
If you are using ABRP Premium and are sharing over-the-air live data, that uses Smartcar and can lock your account.

Go back to #118 and read the list again if you're still stumped.

Herb

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Volkswagen Says Smartcar Is Exploiting Its Connectivity Suite - Law360 - Looks like Volkswagen has filed litigation against Smartcar for exploiting its APIs

Volkswagen files amended complaint in US fraud lawsuit accusing software provider Smartcar of unauthorized data access | MLex Market Insight

It looks like the other OEMs are also starting to go after Smartcar as well

"Smartcar has engaged in unauthorized access to the networks and is impermissibly exploiting data associated with the services for Smartcar's unlawful gain," Volkswagen claims.

Last edited:

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
If you are using ABRP Premium and are sharing over-the-air live data, that uses Smartcar and can lock your account.

Go back to #118 and read the list again if you're still stumped.
My ABRP sub ended in September, because I wasnā€™t using it. Itā€™s not currently pulling or sharing any data, as far as I can tell.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
My ABRP sub ended in September, because I wasnā€™t using it. Itā€™s not currently pulling or sharing any data, as far as I can tell.
Doesn't matter, if you ever used it in the past smartcar will continue to ping your car. Email the ABRP devs and see if they can remove your car for you.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
Doesn't matter, if you ever used it in the past smartcar will continue to ping your car. Email the ABRP devs and see if they can remove your car for you.
That doesnā€™t make sense. I never connected my car to ABRP. I certainly never logged in with my Ford credentials. I only ever picked out the car from a list. It was never connected in a way to pull data from the car.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Maybe I am missing something......but if they have your user name and password then why would Ford prevent them from connecting? If you give your fob to somebody, then they might drive off with your car. I don't see any other place to point our finger at except the mirror.

Herb

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It looks like once you share your Fordpass ID and password with Smartcar, they continue to ping your vehicle even after you remove the app that you were using. You may have to reach out to Smartcar directly as they have access to your id and password, and your vehicle., and ask them to remove your vehicle from their service. You may have to do a master reset on your vehicle to remove all remote access and start over again like when you first purchased, just like when you reset a cell phone. How do I perform a SYNC 3 master reset? (ford.com)

RedRider

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
This hit me today. Online chat with Ford. They asked about third party apps. I use Tronity and a widget. They told me to disable both. It will take up to 5 days to re-enable my account.

Seems pretty Sh*&! that I can't access my data. Especially since the data provided by Ford is skimpy compared to the analytics and quick info I'm getting from others. I even paid for the Tronity app.

What's worse is you can't get to FordPass "chat" if you can't log in. I had to use the regular Ford chat and then get transferred. Don't even try to call. The automated assistant can't understand being locked out of an "account" or the "FordPass" app. It just wants to talk about financing accounts.

Not happy right now.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
What's worse is you can't get to FordPass "chat" if you can't log in. I had to use the regular Ford chat and then get transferred. Don't even try to call. The automated assistant can't understand being locked out of an "account" or the "FordPass" app. It just wants to talk about financing accounts.
Is this the chat through the main Ford.com support site? I'm going to give that a try because I really don't have the patience to walk through phone support over this.
Sponsored