Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
You mean the API used by the app? Are they using some sort of API secret to restrict it to only authorized clients like GM is with their vehicle APIs (see https://github.com/q39JzrRa/GM-Vehicle-API ) , or is it a little more open?
yes, that's exactly what I mean - the API used by the MyFord Mobile app. Someone looking to reverse engineer it would be helped even more by the existence of a fully functional web version of the app, written in JavaScript and HTML. It predates things like OAuth so even authentication isn't super complicated.

Others on here have posted that they used a transparent proxy on an Android device, IIRC, to pull the API for FordPass and it wasn't particularly crazy, either...
Sponsored

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
The question is does it have anything more useful than what is exposed currently in the app, or any rate limits?

The holy grail here is to be able to give A Better Route Planner access to the car's data so it can route you appropriately as you drive, and so that the ABRP devs can better model the charging curves and usage curves into their algorithms

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
The API is not protected in any particular way. It's just not documented.
The bigger problem is that there is no oauth2 which means you cannot currently allow third parties access to your data.

I use the Home Assistant integration and gives me more insight than the app (like 12v SoC). I also use it to do my own smart charging (price varies by the hour here) since the oauth2 is lacking.

stephywephy88

First Name
Stephywephy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm just a hobbyist, so my yaml coding is all trial and error, but I made this Picture-Elements lovelace card for my Home Assistant. I'm a desk worker (currently remote) so this is easier for me to activate remote start since I always have HA open in a tab. Lock/unlock buttons...eh not so useful due to PAAK/fob. My DTE is wrong, haven't figured that out yet. Works better than Fordpass as well as Fordpass does, ofc ? I'd love to hear about other Ford API smart home/automation use cases.

ETA: I'm using https://github.com/itchannel/fordpass-ha

Ford Mustang Mach-E Public API IMG_2881.PNG

Last edited:

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
The question is does it have anything more useful than what is exposed currently in the app, or any rate limits?

The holy grail here is to be able to give A Better Route Planner access to the car's data so it can route you appropriately as you drive, and so that the ABRP devs can better model the charging curves and usage curves into their algorithms
I was able to find a few values through the OBD2. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-mustang-mach-e-extended-pids-for-torque-project.7427/

I thought it was interesting the displayed SOC is to 0.5% but the car displays to 1%. I suspect the estimated energy to empty (kW) and the battery SOC (%) are the actual battery values without the buffers. I need to do more tests and poke around the BECM more. I have been focusing on charging parameters.

Entropy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevrolet Bolt LT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
? I'd love to hear about other Ford API smart home/automation use cases.
In my case - where I sit at work, there is no cellular coverage. Personal devices are not permitted on wifi. So unless a vehicle can be preconditioned by either Chrome running on Windows or Linux, or a Python script, I have to walk out to the front of the building and punch the fob. (With my Bolt, I can usually walk to the car, open the door, get in, and turn it on before my phone reconnects to the towers.)

What you've described makes it sound like I would definitely be able to whip up some Python without much difficulty. :)

I asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer - when the car is parked in a location where it has access to a wifi AP (such as a home garage), does it use that for telematics communication, or does it exclusively use the onboard cellular for telematics regardless of whether it has wifi or not? (This may seem ridiculous, but Chevy Bolts literally only use wifi to check for infotainment OTAs - which have never actually ever been delivered to any Bolts other than to the first batch of 2017s so GM could remove a feature!)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was able to find a few values through the OBD2. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-mustang-mach-e-extended-pids-for-torque-project.7427/

I thought it was interesting the displayed SOC is to 0.5% but the car displays to 1%. I suspect the estimated energy to empty (kW) and the battery SOC (%) are the actual battery values without the buffers. I need to do more tests and poke around the BECM more. I have been focusing on charging parameters.
You should see multiple battery SoC %. One is what is displayed to the user, and another one is the actual pack SoC. Estimated kW to empty is also the usable kW.

If you take the Energy to Empty, and divide that by the SoC displayed, then divide that by 100. It will give you an estimation of total usable kW. (I've been working with ABRP developers to setup live data for the MME)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
I'm just a hobbyist, so my yaml coding is all trial and error, but I made this Picture-Elements lovelace card for my Home Assistant. I'm a desk worker (currently remote) so this is easier for me to activate remote start since I always have HA open in a tab. Lock/unlock buttons...eh not so useful due to PAAK/fob. My DTE is wrong, haven't figured that out yet. Works as well as Fordpass does, ofc ? I'd love to hear about other Ford API smart home/automation use cases.

ETA: I'm using https://github.com/itchannel/fordpass-ha

Ford Mustang Mach-E Public API IMG_2881.PNG
Hi, where is plug status? I can't find that.

Calvin4000

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Harley Livewire, BMW 1250GS
Occupation
System Engineer
Country flag
Nice job guys, thanks for the tips... ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Public API 1628515228131
Sponsored

Last edited: