Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have a build date of 12/13/2020 and a VIN. Can we purchase the vehicle after it has been built, but before it is delivered to the dealer. Would this would allow us to get the tax credit in this tax year?
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have a build date of 12/13/2020 and a VIN. Can we purchase the vehicle after it has been built, but before it is delivered to the dealer. Would this would allow us to get the tax credit in this tax year?
Short answer = no

Ownership starts at title, reg and bill of sale which typically occurs during delivery to the new owner. Would be risky also to take delivery before it's actually seen by the customer.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Yes this is possible. If there’s a VIN, many dealers have done it, and I’m considering it for the 7500 fed tax credit this year. Some state tax benefits might require something different. You can possess and own a car you haven’t seen yet.

OP
OP

Gary Hankins

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yes this is possible. If there’s a VIN, many dealers have done it, and I’m considering it for the 7500 fed tax credit this year. Some state tax benefits might require something different. You can possess and own a car you haven’t seen yet.
Thanks for the input, I'll have a conversation wth my dealer.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thanks for the input, I'll have a conversation wth my dealer.
More importantly, talk to your tax advisor. As noted in other threads, it appears that the IRS requires that the car needs to be in your possession, available for your use, and in service as well as registered with your state.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That's why when they sell you a car they really really want you to "take delivery" that day.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
The form for the federal tax credit says it has to be in service during the tax year. So the answer is no. If you don't take possession of the vehicle by 12/31 you can't claim the federal tax credit. Well, you can, but then you have to worry about an audit.

For some state tax credits, there is some wiggle room. In Colorado, they count the date of purchase as long as you take possession within 10 days. So if you buy the car at the end of December and it is delivered the next week, you might be able to claim the state tax credit for 2020.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The form for the federal tax credit says it has to be in service during the tax year. So the answer is no. If you don't take possession of the vehicle by 12/31 you can't claim the federal tax credit. Well, you can, but then you have to worry about an audit.

For some state tax credits, there is some wiggle room. In Colorado, they count the date of purchase as long as you take possession within 10 days. So if you buy the car at the end of December and it is delivered the next week, you might be able to claim the state tax credit for 2020.
You don't have to take delivery for the vehicle to be placed in service. The IRS has a definition of "Date placed in Service". There are legal methods to place a vehicle in service before you take delivery, especially if you have a business. It really comes down to if you can make any use of it after it leaves the factory. Your tax advisor should be able to help you with this....

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
More importantly, talk to your tax advisor. As noted in other threads, it appears that the IRS requires that the car needs to be in your possession, available for your use, and in service as well as registered with your state.
My tax advisor is turbo tax....not sure they would be much help ?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
You don't have to take delivery for the vehicle to be placed in service. The IRS has a definition of "Date placed in Service". There are legal methods to place a vehicle in service before you take delivery, especially if you have a business. It really comes down to if you can make any use of it after it leaves the factory. Your tax advisor should be able to help you with this....
Most of what you have referred to when addressing this question here applies to business depreciation of assets, not personal tax credits for vehicles. There is no reason to believe that an IRS auditor would be swayed to extend that line of thought here. There are many instances where similar concepts are treated differently by the IRS.

It is hard to fathom any case where the end user of the automobile can make use of it until (s)he has taken delivery.

Your advice opens up anyone who acts on it to interest & penalties as well as the dangers & expense of an audit.

Caveat emptor.

Just for giggles. The Intuit web site [TurboTax] tax advisor offered her opinion:

What does date placed in service mean?

Placed in service means the date that you started using the car for business/work purposes.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
BTW, this discussion was completely hashed out already. See https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/fords-tax-credit-availability.1851/post-52156 and the discussion that follows.
YUP - good catch and really I still would say NO, you can't until you take possession of the car. Only way around it would be if the dealer would complete, register and title before they take possession of the car. However why would you want to do that? Why would a dealer do this, because until the car hits the lot there's too much room for error. However one can fudge whatever they want for ones taxes, just don't get audited or caught. This is not legal advise and every state is different, however we are talking about a federal deduction and not local.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
you know there is no turbocharger on the Mach-E, right? It's just naturally fast. ?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
When I bought my Bolt, my tax software walked me right through the process of claiming the credit. I switched from TurboTax to H&R Block a few years back but the process works basically the same with either software package (my son uses TurboTax and it walked him through for his credit). Easy as could be. And, if you are not sure, you can write or call them for help.
Sponsored