Real World range testing reveals differences between stated/print "EPA ranges" for most vehicles.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I would think most people, me included, would be looking for a great car if they are shelling out $20k, $30k, $50k, $100k, whatever they can afford for a vehicle. Most people aren't looking to save the world when they buy a car. If they get a little satisfaction in that regard, great, but if you are spending that kind of money, you want a great driving experience. I'm guessing that is why EV's were mostly fringe until Tesla brought out a car that people actually wanted to drive.

I also wholeheartedly agree with @dbsb3233 in the above post.
Sponsored

RobB

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
This link: https://insideevs.com/news/407807/e...psgYwnqoLWTamI_sk3qeh2x1xhdf-lQxjlun-xnlLm6BE has the results
1. Hyundai Kona Electric, 259 miles (258 EPA miles)

2. Jaguar I-Pace, 253 miles (234 EPA miles)

2. Kia Niro EV, 253 miles (239 EPA miles)

4. Tesla Model 3 Performance, 239 miles (299 EPA miles)

5. Tesla Model X P100D, 233 miles (289 EPA miles)

6. Nissan LEAF e+, 217 miles (226 EPA miles)

7. Mercedes-Benz EQC, 208 miles (259 WLTP miles - anticipated 220 EPA miles)

8. Tesla Model S 75kWh, 204 miles (259 EPA miles)

9. Audi e-tron, 196 miles (204 EPA miles)

10. Renault ZOE R135, 192 miles (238 WLTP miles)

11. Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, 181 miles (250 EPA miles)

12. BMW i3 120Ah, 165 miles (153 EPA miles)
Not surprising at the differences for most vehicles. Tesla down 20-29%.
Guess Tesla averages take after Mazda... Zoom, zoom.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
So apparently no one is buying an EV because it's good for the environment and for public health?
Which is, like, the main reason why they exist? :rolleyes:
The whole idea behind Tesla was to get people to sustainable transportation. But Musk knew the only way to get people to buy these cars in significant numbers was to make them beautiful and exciting to drive. Enter the Model S. Before long Tesla developed a reputation for status, excitement, beauty and yes, driving a car that’s good for the environment.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
I'm not going to read every comment but I'll throw in my .02 anyway.

I have read how the EPA tests and I'm not a fan. I think they could do more extensive testing.

They will not, ever never, no how in any way shape or form (how badly can I phrase this?) test and report on anything over the speed limit! Ever. End of story, give it up.

They will always use 55/65 for tests.

Real world, in my wife's Prius when we drive the 2010 to NYC, I drove 80 round trip and got 53MPG. When I drove it in town for 2 weeks, I was down to 42 vs her 49.

EPA is NOT real world nor will it ever be. They are government and bound by the speed limit and stupidity which is "closed course" testing.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
I'm not going to read every comment but I'll throw in my .02 anyway.

I have read how the EPA tests and I'm not a fan. I think they could do more extensive testing.

They will not, ever never, no how in any way shape or form (how badly can I phrase this?) test and report on anything over the speed limit! Ever. End of story, give it up.

They will always use 55/65 for tests.

Real world, in my wife's Prius when we drive the 2010 to NYC, I drove 80 round trip and got 53MPG. When I drove it in town for 2 weeks, I was down to 42 vs her 49.

EPA is NOT real world nor will it ever be. They are government and bound by the speed limit and stupidity which is "closed course" testing.
Not sure what the percentages are, but there are definitely interstates with speed limits of 70 mph or 75 mph. Thought you are probably correct about a government agency not using anything over 65 for an efficiency test.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure what the percentages are, but there are definitely interstates with speed limits of 70 mph or 75 mph. Thought you are probably correct about a government agency not using anything over 65 for an efficiency test.
They just need to do their tests in a fly-over state instead.

Speed-Limit-Map-1-e1554747672175.jpg

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You guys do realize that the EPA tests are:
  • Done by the OEM's and not the EPA--the EPA certifies the tests that the OEM's perform (which is why Ford got dinged for the C-Max/Fusion hybrid/energi mpg--they owned up to not getting what they thought it should)
  • Are not performed by driving around town but performed on a dynomometer: basically a treadmill for cars

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
They just need to do their tests in a fly-over state instead.

Speed-Limit-Map-1-e1554747672175.jpg
Did a lot of driving in Wyoming and Utah a couple of years back for work. Forgot the 80 speed limit. Thanks for the reminder!

And except for those New York/New England states, all of the lower 48 are at least 70 mph!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Did a lot of driving in Wyoming and Utah a couple of years back for work. Forgot the 80 speed limit. Thanks for the reminder!

And except for those New York/New England states, all of the lower 48 are at least 70 mph!
I remember a brief time when Montana's speed limit was "reasonable and prudent". Then someone had to go and ruin it for everybody.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
I remember a brief time when Montana's speed limit was "reasonable and prudent". Then someone had to go and ruin it for everybody.
Oh geez, this reminds me of my best traffic stop ever. And it really happened to me!

I was stationed in Rapid City in the USAF, and was driving home to Oregon on my first vacation ever. I had a brand spanking new 1984 Camaro. I was doing somewhere North of 100 mph in a 55 zone in Eastern Montana. Wide open road with visibility for miles; I was the only one on the road besides a State Trooper hiding behind the one bush.

He pulls me over. Just the epitome of a redneck cop. Big pot belly, big cigar. I thought I was going to jail for sure. He says: "Boy, please get out of the car." I did. He says"Boy, follow me." I did. We walked around the car and checked each tire. He says "Boy, you are in some deep shit here." I'm watching my career flying USAF jets and my whole life going down the shitter. He writes me a citation. He says "Boy, you need to read this carefully, and follow it's instructions to the letter. Otherwise I'm going to have to arrest your ass right here and now." I am literally on the verge of tears. I have thrown my young pink body around the sky, hitting closure rates of over 1000 mph with other jets passing close enough to see the whites of my opponents eyes. I have no fear. But I am terrified here and now. I have thrown my life away for driving a ridiculously slow 120 or 130 mph. A T-38 doesn't even lift off till about 170 mph. I read the citation. It carries the terrifying fine of $5 for violating a fuel conservation regulation. It isn't even a moving violation. It is equivalent to a parking ticket.

He sees my confusion and laughs uproariously. He says "Boy, before these MotherF&^%*ing asshole MotherF*&%ing Feds and MotherF(*&^ing stupid ass Democrats made us enforce these dumbass, Motherf&^%ing stupid ass speed limits out in the F&^%ing middle of Mother ^%$ing nowhere, we didn't have, or need, a dumb ass MotherF*&^ing speed limit." I just wanted to make sure your tires were in good shape to be driving that fast. I see you have a beautiful wife, and I do believe you should take care of her. You seem to be doing just that. You have a good day. Ma'am. He tips his hat to my wife and gets in his car and drives off. You may have noticed what his favorite word was, and what his political affiliation was. LOL

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Oh geez, this reminds me of my best traffic stop ever. And it really happened to me!

I was stationed in Rapid City in the USAF, and was driving home to Oregon on my first vacation ever. I had a brand spanking new 1984 Camaro. I was doing somewhere North of 100 mph in a 55 zone in Eastern Montana. Wide open road with visibility for miles; I was the only one on the road besides a State Trooper hiding behind the one bush.

He pulls me over. Just the epitome of a redneck cop. Big pot belly, big cigar. I thought I was going to jail for sure. He says: "Boy, please get out of the car." I did. He says"Boy, follow me." I did. We walked around the car and checked each tire. He says "Boy, you are in some deep shit here." I'm watching my career flying USAF jets and my whole life going down the shitter. He writes me a citation. He says Boy, you need to read this carefully, and follow it's instructions to the letter. Otherwise I'm going to have to arrest your ass right here and now. I am literally on the verge of tears. I have thrown my young pink body around the sky, hitting closure rates of over 1000 mph with other jets passing close enough to see the whites of my opponents eyes. I have no fear. But I am terrified here and now. I have thrown my life away for driving a ridiculously slow 120 or 130 mph. I read the citation. It carries the terrifying fine of $5 for violating a fuel conservation regulation. It isn't even a moving violation. It is equivalent to a parking ticket.

He sees my confusion and laughs uproariously. He says "Boy, before these MotherF&^%*ing asshole MotherF*&%ing Feds and MotherF(*&^ing stupid ass Democrats made us enforce these dumbass, Motherf&^%ing stupid ass speed limits out in the F&^%ing middle of Mother ^%$ing nowhere, we didn't have, or need, a dumb ass MotherF*&^ing speed limit." I just wanted to make sure your tires were in good shape to be driving that fast. I see you have a beautiful wife, and I do believe you should take care of her. You seem to be doing just that. You have a good day. Ma'am. He tips his hat to my wife and gets in his car and drives off. You may have noticed what his favorite word was, and what his political affiliation was. LOL
Rumor was the $5 ticket was good all day in case you got pulled over again.

Reactions: Nak

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great story, Nak! I remember that flak at the time. IIRC it was the 70s during the first Arab oil embargo that Nixon imposed the 55 MPH speed limit, but some wide-open states out West defied it. I think it was during the Carter years they threatened to cut off federal highway funds to states that didn't lower their speed limits. I think Montana may have been the last holdout. They finally gave in, but only imposed $5 fines.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag

He pulls me over. Just the epitome of a redneck cop. Big pot belly, big cigar. I thought I was going to jail for sure. He says: "Boy, please get out of the car." I did. He says"Boy, follow me." I did. We walked around the car and checked each tire. He says "Boy, you are in some deep shit here." I'm watching my career flying USAF jets and my whole life going down the shitter. He writes me a citation. He says "Boy, you need to read this carefully, and follow it's instructions to the letter. Otherwise I'm going to have to arrest your ass right here and now." I am literally on the verge of tears. I have thrown my young pink body around the sky, hitting closure rates of over 1000 mph with other jets passing close enough to see the whites of my opponents eyes. I have no fear. But I am terrified here and now. I have thrown my life away for driving a ridiculously slow 120 or 130 mph. A T-38 doesn't even lift off till about 170 mph. I read the citation. It carries the terrifying fine of $5 for violating a fuel conservation regulation. It isn't even a moving violation. It is equivalent to a parking ticket.

Sounds like a cool dude, salt of the earth type. And with a colorful vocabulary to boot!
Sponsored