Rebate from local utility - a Mustang is not electric!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The major electric utility in the Philadelphia area is pleased to give you an “atta boy” for your purchase of an electric vehicle. You get more for purchasing a new refrigerator ? The state of Pennsyltucky doesn’t even give you the “atta boy” (remember, EVs steal jobs from the hard working fracking industry ?)
The state of Hawaii gives you a higher registration fee and a special license plate that entitles you to pay a higher annual registration fee. :p
Sponsored

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Michigan has no tax credit, and the utility company only has a rebate IF you install a charger, and it has to be one of 2 brands, and they tap into the data. And we have to pay the state $100 a year for driving an EV.
Correction... in Michigan you pay the state $100 + $35.... $135.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Point of order; my issue with the Mach-E is well documented. Mustangs do not have rear doors. ?
Remember that break you took one afternoon about 4 years ago? The Design team called about 2 or 4 doors. They left a message. Hearing no response, they went with 4.

Might want to check your voice mail. ;)

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Re: higher registration fees for EVs. While i believe this trend is only beginning, do remember that states achieve quite a bit of revenue from gasoline taxes, part of which goes to road maintenance (or at least it is supposed to) and we will not be paying that tax,,, so in that way it makes sense.

ChadG

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
You guys with your fancy utility rebates. Nothing for me, but Indiana "invites" me to pay them an extra $150 annually for having an electric vehicle.

I think Georgia is the only state with a higher EV fee.
In Alabama, we have to pay $200 to drive an EV :(

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Re: higher registration fees for EVs. While i believe this trend is only beginning, do remember that states achieve quite a bit of revenue from gasoline taxes, part of which goes to road maintenance (or at least it is supposed to) and we will not be paying that tax,,, so in that way it makes sense.
Yeah, I understand the argument for extra fees on EVs. I just think it's a hamfisted attempt to recover "lost" revenue, and flies contrary to some efforts to incentivize electrics. They'll spend a lot more than those annual levies on exploratory committees I suspect.

OP
OP
DYohn

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Yeah, I understand the argument for extra fees on EVs. I just think it's a hamfisted attempt to recover "lost" revenue, and flies contrary to some efforts to incentivize electrics. They'll spend a lot more than those annual levies on exploratory committees I suspect.
Gasoline taxes are a type of use fee with the theory being that the more gas one purchases the more they are using the State-sponsored infrastructure. Unless every road becomes a toll road the only other way to do that is to implement some sort of odometer-based fee, and no one would stand for that. So adding a fee to registrations is perhaps ham-fisted, but seems to be the only available mechanism to generate the use fee - at least for right now.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Gasoline taxes are a type of use fee with the theory being that the more gas one purchases the more they are using the State-sponsored infrastructure. Unless every road becomes a toll road the only other way to do that is to implement some sort of odometer-based fee, and no one would stand for that. So adding a fee to registrations is perhaps ham-fisted, but seems to be the only available mechanism to generate the use fee - at least for right now.
I pay the same road taxes on the gasoline that is used on lawn equipment. Fortunately the only gasoline powered equipment I have left is a snow blower.

ERIC8585

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select Rapid Red
Country flag
My local utility here in Arizona is the Salt River Project. They offer a $1000 rebate to electric vehicle purchasers. I applied for it, sending in the required application and copies of my purchase agreement and registration. I received an email back from them that my purchase agreement "indicates your new vehicle is a 2021 Ford Mustang. As a Ford Mustang is not an electric vehicle it does not qualify for the rebate." I sent them a scan of my window sticker, a cell phone photo of my car plugged into the wall in my garage, and a link to the Ford web site. I wrote that the Mustang Mach-E is, indeed, an electric vehicle.

I hope to hear their reply today. :)

-edit- See their reply, post #23 in this thread. All sorted.
Lol, they'll send "cyber ninjas" to your house

Last edited: