Recirculating air turning off

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
For me it is that there are so many noxious vehicles on the road that the smell of emissions, and all those nasty chemicals included in those fumes, comes into the cabin. For this reason, I prefer to always have recirculation on. I also live in an area with a lot of two lane roads, so if I get stuck behind a vehicle like this, I canā€™t easily escape it.
Would have been nice if Mach-E came with an odor filter, but alas we have to go aftermarket for one.

Seems almost obvious that BEVs should have odor filters (Tesla and VW do) - when you're not the one making exhaust fumes you definitely notice everyone else's!
Sponsored

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Would have been nice if Mach-E came with an odor filter, but alas we have to go aftermarket for one.

Seems almost obvious that BEVs should have odor filters (Tesla and VW do) - when you're not the one making exhaust fumes you definitely notice everyone else's!
I wouldn't be surprised if MME's for Europe or China get carbon filters

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if MME's for Europe or China get carbon filters
I'm sure they do. Ford seems almost determined to provide cheap filters in North America and nice ones everywhere else. They even have PM2.5 sensors in the cars in China, but don't seem to think Americans care about what they breathe or smell.

Why the North American Mach-E does not have a carbon filter, I do not understand. As I said, it seems like an obvious miss. Happily it is something the aftermarket will easily allow us to upgrade so I don't really hold it against Ford.

OP
OP
Orangefirefish

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
the MME's software is definitely going to use recirc as much as possible, since it reduces a/c load and thus power consumption by the a/c compressor
And thatā€™s what I thought too, Iā€™ll try it again, maybe it was just a glitch.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
Resurrecting this dead thread to see if the OP or anyone else figured out the best system to keep recirc ON as long as possible. Like others, I turn it on ā€¦ and then randomly discover later it turned off after a nice blast of diesel up my nose. Using heat, I seem to get 5 minutes max. Manual doesnā€™t give much guidance on how to keep it on, but Iā€™ll experiment witn ā€œ max acā€ and e-heat and directing air to windshield to see if that helps.

owned plenty of other cars where I kept this on all the time with no issues. Donā€™t need Ford deciding thereā€˜s suddenly one now.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Resurrecting this dead thread to see if the OP or anyone else figured out the best system to keep recirc ON as long as possible. Like others, I turn it on ā€¦ and then randomly discover later it turned off after a nice blast of diesel up my nose. Using heat, I seem to get 5 minutes max. Manual doesnā€™t give much guidance on how to keep it on, but Iā€™ll experiment witn ā€œ max acā€ and e-heat and directing air to windshield to see if that helps.
I'll give you my technical opinion. The car monitors humidity inside with the sensor behind the rearview mirror, I'm guessing if it senses high humidity it will disable the recirculate mode. So, make sure you leave the A/C compressor and E-heat running with recirc on so the air gets dehumidified. I suggest using automatic mode without disabling the above.

OP
OP
Orangefirefish

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

owned plenty of other cars where I kept this on all the time with no issues. Donā€™t need Ford deciding thereā€˜s suddenly one now.
So, hereā€™s the interesting thing. It stopped happening after awhile, perhaps after one of the ā€œbug fixesā€ and I didnā€™t have to worry about it for awhile. Recently, out of the blue, every single time the car is started it defaults back to vent and I need to manually switch over to recirculate. Not sure what changed but it sure seems like a software glitch to me.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, hereā€™s the interesting thing. It stopped happening after awhile, perhaps after one of the ā€œbug fixesā€ and I didnā€™t have to worry about it for awhile. Recently, out of the blue, every single time the car is started it defaults back to vent and I need to manually switch over to recirculate. Not sure what changed but it sure seems like a software glitch to me.
Mine NEVER starts on recircā€”ever. But could be this humidity sensor @Mach-Lee mentioned. Will experiment and report back any progress.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have A/C selection on 100% of the time, for about the last 20 years in every car I own/operate. Keeps the compressor seals lubricated and reduces the need for repairs (Consumer Reports study). The actual cooling only occurs when the temp setting calls for it. I also have always kept recirc active in all my cars. Only a couple have required me to force the setting every time I start. One was a GM, another the Ford Mach E. My experience, with a period of time when recirc stayed on if that is the way it was when I turned the car off, is the same as yours @Orangefirefish. Recently it went back to nanny mode that results in the car trying to surround me with methane and diesel exhaust smells. This requires me to take my eyes off the road and accurately hit two center screen buttons while driving (one low and the other high on the screen) - which is the main reason I will not buy any Tesla where all controls are center screen. @Ford Team you have created a dangerous situation with this algorithm. Is there any way to set up a hard wired switch or software hack to leave recirc always on? What about changing a steering wheel switch to Recirc On in place of one of the switches I don't use? Or, better, allow me to set a couple of self-programmable control screen buttons? My Hyundai Kona EV has a MyMenu button!! Can Ford work on playing catch up?

OP
OP
Orangefirefish

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I have A/C selection on 100% of the time, for about the last 20 years in every car I own/operate. Keeps the compressor seals lubricated and reduces the need for repairs (Consumer Reports study). The actual cooling only occurs when the temp setting calls for it. I also have always kept recirc active in all my cars. Only a couple have required me to force the setting every time I start. One was a GM, another the Ford Mach E. My experience, with a period of time when recirc stayed on if that is the way it was when I turned the car off, is the same as yours @Orangefirefish. Recently it went back to nanny mode that results in the car trying to surround me with methane and diesel exhaust smells. This requires me to take my eyes off the road and accurately hit two center screen buttons while driving (one low and the other high on the screen) - which is the main reason I will not buy any Tesla where all controls are center screen. @Ford Team you have created a dangerous situation with this algorithm. Is there any way to set up a hard wired switch or software hack to leave recirc always on? What about changing a steering wheel switch to Recirc On in place of one of the switches I don't use? Or, better, allow me to set a couple of self-programmable control screen buttons? My Hyundai Kona EV has a MyMenu button!! Can Ford work on playing catch up?
Yeah, itā€™s odd. IIRC June/July timeframe it was still working fine and would basically recall the settings from before. Has to be fixable via software, just maintain settings as before. Iā€™m getting better at remembering to switch on recirc right away but every now and then a diesel truck will remind me that I forgot.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, promised to report back. Having really good results now keeping recirc ON--and remaining on even after restarting the car. Here are my settings:
  • airflow directed to feet/windshield only (no center console)
  • A/C ON and E-Heat ON.
  • Temperature set to 76 degrees (this is about current ambient temperature here)
  • Fan at the minimum "1" setting.
With this, I've not had to worry about it anymore. I check periodically and see that recirc has remained on. Strangely, this would not work if I only had airflow directed to the feet or the windshield only. I personally don't like having the air blow on me so I'm not interested in the center setting.

While I do think it is particularly wasteful to have A/C & E-Heat & fan always on, I much prefer that to breathing diesel.

I'm not sure if adjusting the temperature would affect this. This time of year is very comfortable where I live so I just want it as neutral as possible with maintaining temp.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Mine NEVER starts on recircā€”ever. But could be this humidity sensor @Mach-Lee mentioned. Will experiment and report back any progress.
just curious how you are certain yours never starts on recirc. Are you going by what the recirc button shows?

OP
OP
Orangefirefish

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
just curious how you are certain yours never starts on recirc. Are you going by what the recirc button shows?
Thatā€™s how it is with mine, the recirc button always disabled on start. I havenā€™t had the PAAK recall done yet, not that I know if that will impact the recirc.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thatā€™s how it is with mine, the recirc button always disabled on start. I havenā€™t had the PAAK recall done yet, not that I know if that will impact the recirc.
With the settings I've now been using, recirc has been on at startup every time.

My old routine was start button, seatbelt, climate screen to turn the recirc on., before switching into "gear." Now, every time I check the climate system at startup recirc is always on. I've stopped checking it obsessively and now just get on my way.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
With the settings I've now been using, recirc has been on at startup every time.

My old routine was start button, seatbelt, climate screen to turn the recirc on., before switching into "gear." Now, every time I check the climate system at startup recirc is always on. I've stopped checking it obsessively and now just get on my way.
Instead of all of these machinations, have you considered just putting in a better air filter instead? Iā€™ve had fantastic luck with the one I found here on the forum.

PureFlow Air Filter

Thereā€™s a water treatment plant that I drive by occasionally, and that thing stinks like itā€™s low tide. I put these air filters into all of my cars, and I have literally not smelled it sinceā€”and I always have outside air coming in. Highly recommend, and it will take you about five minutes to change it out yourself. There are videos on YouTube to show you, and itā€™s in the manual, but itā€™s a really simple no-tools job.
Sponsored