Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There’s one thing I haven‘t been able to find in route planning apps - ability to specify target charge level for each charge. My preference would be to always charge up to 80% at each stop because: 1) I’d rather have less stops, even if the overall trip time is the same or slightly more. 2) I just feel more comfortable charging up to the highest feasible level. Last weekend on a trip, all the route planning apps I tried were recommending at least 3 charging stops but I was able to easily do it in 2 by waiting a little longer and charging up to 80%.
After it plans the route you can by doing this:
Not as convenient as setting a default, but you can go to each stop in an ABRP route and set it to charge to 80%. Do them in order and one at a time, tapping/clicking the route calculation button after each change. I have used the feature several times.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
ABRP does not show up on my android auto. Is there anything I need to do, I just got approved to be a beta tester? Great video BTW
I forgot, but I think you have to be in the beta for ABRP too.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
This is a good video and relevant discussion to me, as I'm writing this in the middle of our first road trip ...... in my wife's new car, a VW ID.4, affectionately nicknamed "mommywagen". (My Cyber Orange GTPE is being built next week!!!!!!)

Our road trip took our fam of 4 (inclu two boys, 3 and 6) from the SF Bay Area to a week in Palm Springs. This is about a 9 hour drive with 3 charging stops included.

I used ABRP to plan the route before I left, along with browsing the Electrify America app to get familiar with all of the potential charging points on my route as backups, and in case any of this tech didn't work properly.

On the trip itself, I used ABRP's app on iOS via CarPlay. While their app isn't as great for navigation as Apple Maps or Google Maps, it has an awesome feature in that it can receive live SOC data where supported from your car.

For the ID.4, I paired up an Android phone with an OBD-II adapter and sent the battery state data (using an app called EVNotify) to ABRP's servers. This let the CarPlay ABRP app know the live SOC and adjust its estimates of how long to charge and efficiency on the fly. It all worked surprisingly well and reliably. Some quick conclusions:

• I was definitely very conservative and cautious. In reality, it was really no big deal to drive this route. There were plenty of EA chargers on I-5 and they all worked really well (except for one 350 charger) to give me the KWh I expected. This despite scorching temps of 100+ along the way
  • ABRP is very conservative in its estimates without the live data. I think there are just too many variables for its level of precision to be accurate (for example, weight of people and luggage, efficiency estimate for the car, etc)
  • It came in handy to be somewhat familiar with the various charging options, because it allowed for serendipity without any stress
  • Unlike the ID.4, I don't think anyone's been able to figure out yet how to extract SOC info from an OBD-II connection on the Mach-E. I haven't found any app yet to do this, and I suspect this data might be hidden or inaccessible via the OBD on the Mach E. However, it does appear from Apple's announcements at WWDC this year that Apple is partnering with Ford to send SOC data from their EVs to Apple Maps in the near future ..... So hopefully even better route planning and navigating experiences will be coming to the Mach E soon!
Shout out to the two random Mach E owners I chitchatted with at the EA stations.

DRob1260

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, infinite blue
Country flag
Not as convenient as setting a default, but you can go to each stop in an ABRP route and set it to charge to 80%. Do them in order and one at a time, tapping/clicking the route calculation button after each change. I have used the feature several times.
Unless I’m misunderstanding, I’m not seeing a way to do this. I see an “Arrival SoC” but I think what I would be looking for is “Departure SoC”. Example of what I’m seeing for 1 charging stop:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip planning tools C2F99B01-E8C1-4CE1-90A4-8F33A3F83A66

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Unless I’m misunderstanding, I’m not seeing a way to do this. I see an “Arrival SoC” but I think what I would be looking for is “Departure SoC”. Example of what I’m seeing for 1 charging stop:
C2F99B01-E8C1-4CE1-90A4-8F33A3F83A66.png
Click on the word "FOR" and it will switch to the word "TILL" and you enter a percentage:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip planning tools 1628166829746

Last edited:

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
There’s one thing I haven‘t been able to find in route planning apps - ability to specify target charge level for each charge. My preference would be to always charge up to 80% at each stop because: 1) I’d rather have less stops, even if the overall trip time is the same or slightly more. 2) I just feel more comfortable charging up to the highest feasible level. Last weekend on a trip, all the route planning apps I tried were recommending at least 3 charging stops but I was able to easily do it in 2 by waiting a little longer and charging up to 80%.
100% this for me. Planned out my 1st road trip using Navigation and ABRP, ended up with 2 or 3 small charges each way with some at slow chargers. Wasted a lot of time trying to edit routes before giving up, manually planning and just putting each leg of the trip into the nav. To be fair this was a day trip with 220 miles each way with a lot of driving near the destination and no nearby fast chargers at the destination. Ended up with a total of 3 longer charges rather than 5 short ones with the route planners. I'd love a solution to replace the manual steps and give me greater flexibility.

Mr.Doug

First Name
Mr.Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E -Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I agree 100% - I Don't want any distance Anxiety..

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for doing this video Patrick. I enjoy watching the YouTube videos you and Liv put together.

We just returned from our first road trip in the MME. We went from Columbus,OH to Traverse City,MI. I used the FordPass app for the trip up, and the in-car Navigation to come home. It did fine both ways, but was curious why it didn’t use the same routes each way? I’m assuming it uses various calculations to figure the best routes. On the way up, it had us stop twice to charge, but only once on the return trip.

Have you, or anyone, figured out how to pause the nav system, or add waypoints, to stop at a rest area, or any unexpected stop? Each time I made an unexpected stop, I had to start again from scratch. Thanks!

Last edited:

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
I was totally distracted by the weather in your Windows Taskbar during the entire A Better Route Planner segment. It kept alternating between "Polluted Air" and "Smoke".
Was there a wildfire going on outside your door? That's some dedication to keep working on your video!

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I was totally distracted by the weather in your Windows Taskbar during the entire A Better Route Planner segment. It kept alternating between "Polluted Air" and "Smoke".
Was there a wildfire going on outside your door? That's some dedication to keep working on your video!
It's just our air in Denver these days -- smoke and ozone. We just reached 30 days in a row of air quality alerts. And here is tonight's forecast.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Road trip planning tools FireShot Capture 169 - 7-Day Forecast 39.69N 104.9W - forecast.weather.gov

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
On the trip itself, I used ABRP's app on iOS via CarPlay. While their app isn't as great for navigation as Apple Maps or Google Maps, it has an awesome feature in that it can receive live SOC data where supported from your car.

Unlike the ID.4, I don't think anyone's been able to figure out yet how to extract SOC info from an OBD-II connection on the Mach-E. I haven't found any app yet to do this, and I suspect this data might be hidden or inaccessible via the OBD on the Mach E. However, it does appear from Apple's announcements at WWDC this year that Apple is partnering with Ford to send SOC data from their EVs to Apple Maps in the near future ..... So hopefully even better route planning and navigating experiences will be coming to the Mach E soon!
There are several different SOC values available over the OBD2, which seems to be accurate. The Displayed SOC value has 0.5% resolution in the OBD2. Besides the SOC, there is an Estimated kW until Empty value.

I have mainly focused on charging data values, but hope to find other interesting information. This thread has more information. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-mustang-mach-e-extended-pids-for-torque-project.7427/

I wonder how ABRP reads the car's values? Does it interface to a OBD2 dongle? What values does ABRP need to better track things?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
There are several different SOC values available over the OBD2, which seems to be accurate. The Displayed SOC value has 0.5% resolution in the OBD2. Besides the SOC, there is an Estimated kW until Empty value.

I have mainly focused on charging data values, but hope to find other interesting information. This thread has more information. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-mustang-mach-e-extended-pids-for-torque-project.7427/

I wonder how ABRP reads the car's values? Does it interface to a OBD2 dongle? What values does ABRP need to better track things?
Cool... There is an API that abrp has published to send it live soc data. Ev notify uses this, I'll check out the other thread and see if I can get the dev to read those values from the mach E in his app....
Sponsored