JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
@JSW - not sure if I missed it. But did you post a full 'after' photo? without the supplies in view.

Curious how well and un-noticeable it looks. And so everyone can critique your craftsmanship of course lol. JK
The before ship has sailed. Now that it’s quiet like a normal car, I’ve moved on, lol.
I’ll try to remember to take a pic when I leave work.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On a scale of 1 - 10 (1 being silent) what are the before / after numbers?
It went from having the most wind noise of any car I’ve owned (let’s say an 8), to being average (perhaps a 4).

It’s more than 50% quieter, but I think that’s because it clearly had a problem in need of correction.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I'm considering trying out what OP did.

I see that the available materials for such cords are Neoprene, EPDM, Buna-N. Price is similar. Which should I choose?

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm considering trying out what OP did.

I see that the available materials for such cords are Neoprene, EPDM, Buna-N. Price is similar. Which should I choose?
The first 3 materials I bought were too hard to use. That was when I thought I was just “filling” the gap. Because the gap travels down/forward beneath the windshield and grows in size, ”filling” it is not a solution.

The initial materials were too hard to conform to the edge of the windshield and would not work in a “friction-fit” manner.

I am unsure which, if any, of the materials you identified will compress enough to conform to the edge of the windshield yet firm enough to remain in place once compressed.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
A solid option to use in conjunction with such a foam or neoprene material that won't "friction fit" in the gap would be butyl rubber rope - the same material used to seal headlight housings. It's fully removable just by peeling it like a sticker, but it also is completely weatherproof and permanently tacky, so it'll hold the foam in place. I have found a million uses for it.

It peels right off when you're ready to remove it.

something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Second-Skin-Multipurpose-Butyl-Rope/dp/B0155KELRW/ref=sr_1_3

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think whatever solution is tried, it's best to have it easily removeable in case it becomes a water drainage issue.

ZSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-3 estate 280pk
Country flag
I agree as this fix needs further testing by Ford . Generally there are tiny holes and water drainage system underneath. Once I had holes clog up in the sliding moon roof system and water started to come down in the cabin. I hope this Doesnot clog the water drainage holes.
Will you not say this to loud? Before you know it we have to wait an other extra month for the factory to fix....?

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
Just measured the gap on my FE. Almost exactly 1/8" all the way across. We have very little wind noise, and then only well above 60 MPH. I'm not surprised that filling that gap with foam may end a wind noise problem, but I suspect the gap isn't the core problem. Perhaps the rubber that the windshield lays on, and butts up against the roof glass has some other issue on the noisy cars?

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Another weather strip - wind noise - issue?

Well, was just looking more carefully at some of the sealing and found what well may be my wind noise problem, or another contributing factor.

We have been focused on the front gap between the windshield and the pano roof. There are two black plastic trim parts on either side of the pano roof. On the outside, they each have a rubber like sealing strip that looks like it is supposed to match the metal above the door sill.

On my driver's side, the trim strip was glued on possibly a bit too close to the pano roof and it does not seal against the outer metal part above drivers door like it is supposed to in places: (easier to see after click on pic).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* 6Z5A0898.JPG

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I just find it incredible that none of the engineers during testing noticed this? wind tunnel, road driving etc.............
It's possible the folks on the assembly line aren't getting the roofs in exactly the right place now that they are cranking cars out quickly. The design may be fine but a slight difference in positioning during assembly could be an issue.

theblueone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi e-tron
Country flag
My roof had subtantial wind noise.

When I drove a loaner MMe while my 12volt battery problem was being fixed, it became clear to me that my roof was generating way more noise than the loaner MMe (and my roof was much higher in relation to the windshield as well).

Based on feedback from others on the forum, my gap between the windshield and roof is larger as well (>3/16 of an inch).

I bought the product below from grainger and it reduced reduced the noise by 50-70%. My only issue is I may need a slightly larger product (probably 1/4 inch) if it is to stay in place long term.

Did you get enough driving data before the fix to see if it had any impact on your range?

If it's causing enough turbulence to be loud there's gotta be some efficiency cost, but I don't know enough to speculate whether it would be 1% or 0.01%.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Anyone have an amazon link to the appropriate foam cord for this?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Did you get enough driving data before the fix to see if it had any impact on your range?

If it's causing enough turbulence to be loud there's gotta be some efficiency cost, but I don't know enough to speculate whether it would be 1% or 0.01%.
The effect would be so small it is unlikely you could measure it without a high precision wind tunnel.
Sponsored