Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I did a two hour trip to Best Buy to grab a Steelbook Blu-ray of Kyle Urban’s film Dredd ( most underrated super hero film out there).

Anyways, I was doing 75-85 most of the trip. I specifically listened for wind noise. Either I’m not picky or my car isn’t too bad. It’s louder than my Audi Q5 but not anywhere near terrible. With radio on I couldn’t hear it at all. However if I can get close to no wind noise of course I’d go that route. Thanks for trying to find solutions. I do think Ford should really be addressing this at the price of these vehicles.
Sponsored

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I'm considering trying out what OP did.

I see that the available materials for such cords are Neoprene, EPDM, Buna-N. Price is similar. Which should I choose?
Neoprene is the type of material wetsuits are made from, so very compressible. EPDM is a synthetic rubber, so hard like rubber. Buna N is elastic synthetic rubber, also called nitrile, such as the disposable glove material.

All of them would come in different grades of harness/compression, but neoprene is generally softest.

WildfireOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition
Country flag
Normally I would totally agree that neoprene is very compressible (I've had neoprene wetsuits, ankle brace, car seats, etc) but the neoprene cord that I got was exactly like hard rubber and impossible to fit into the gap between the windshield-roof.

So instead I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4D2T...abc_GGZM1S8C1XM66SAHW4D6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

which is a solid but squishy EPDM 0.25" cord that could be jammed into my 3/16" gap. It took 20 minutes of me swearing, but it slowly and steadily got done.

For me, wind noise was most noticeable at around 30 to 50ish mph, as anything faster resulted in more road/tire sounds in the cabin. The effects of cord installation on decreasing wind noise was greater than I expected -- subjectively, I'd say it was well north of 50% and worth the effort.

Given the product is described for use as a gasket or sealant of sorts in automobiles and weather and sun resistant, I'm hoping that it lasts and doesn't interfere with anything...

Thanks to the OP for this thread!

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
This is exactly the product I just installed over the weekend and achieved EXACTLY the same results. Wind noise wasn’t debilitating, but louder than any other car I’ve driven.

Pro-tip: use a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water to install the cord. Just enough slickness but flashes off cleanly without residue. Also used a plastic putty knife for spackle to help wedge it in. Had to be careful not to push too hard or else it gets wedged down in the gap.

Normally I would totally agree that neoprene is very compressible (I've had neoprene wetsuits, ankle brace, car seats, etc) but the neoprene cord that I got was exactly like hard rubber and impossible to fit into the gap between the windshield-roof.

So instead I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4D2T...abc_GGZM1S8C1XM66SAHW4D6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

which is a solid but squishy EPDM 0.25" cord that could be jammed into my 3/16" gap. It took 20 minutes of me swearing, but it slowly and steadily got done.

For me, wind noise was most noticeable at around 30 to 50ish mph, as anything faster resulted in more road/tire sounds in the cabin. The effects of cord installation on decreasing wind noise was greater than I expected -- subjectively, I'd say it was well north of 50% and worth the effort.

Given the product is described for use as a gasket or sealant of sorts in automobiles and weather and sun resistant, I'm hoping that it lasts and doesn't interfere with anything...

Thanks to the OP for this thread!
F4E91EE4-BA4C-4AD6-BB6C-92D4866F9FAE.jpeg

CA799886-5E0F-4D13-A79C-BDC905CC7A52.jpeg

5AF7AB30-5CE1-4514-ABC2-978BE87BC0D9.jpeg

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Pro-tip: use a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water to install the cord. Just enough slickness but flashes off cleanly without residue. Also used a plastic putty knife for spackle to help wedge it in. Had to be careful not to push too hard or else it gets wedged down in the gap.
If you use the foam cord in the original post, you wouldn't need to go through all these. The recommended foam cord compresses extremely well, and can be very easily installed without any tools or solutions.

I originally made the same mistake of using something different (although it has similar descriptions as the recommended one), and had to use tools and soap water. I strongly recommended that every one stick with the recommended product in original post.

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
Yes this product is also a compressible foam cord one specifically designed as a window/gasket seal. But this one has a rubber coating on outside for durability. Wanted 1/4” because my gap was bigger than OP.

With the alcohol it only took 15 min to install and was sold by Amazon so had it next day.

If you use the foam cord in the original post, you wouldn't need to go through all these. The recommended foam cord compresses extremely well, and can be very easily installed without any tools or solutions.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I think there is finally POSITIVE PROOF that a raised pano roof is a DEFECTIVE pano roof.
See this thread:
(1) Panoramic roof - Windshield misaligned! | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

As I stated there,
This, I believe, is positive proof that the roof should NOT protrude above the windshield - and any that do are DEFECTIVE. Take a look at that thread and you'll see many mentions of the noise problem and a few about the pano roof cracking because (being raised) it is susceptible to damage by small rock hits, etc.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* 1616680035711

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
Update: Ford dealer would not contract my car today due to this problem. They have calls into Ford trying to figure out what to do. Dealer looking for replacement around the southeast or may have to reorder, bummer. Good dealer looking out for me!

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I originally installed the 3/16" foam cord, but a week ago it came loose and was flapping around while I was on the freeway. So ended up getting the 1/4" foam cord from Amazon; just received it and will look to install today.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think there is finally POSITIVE PROOF that a raised pano roof is a DEFECTIVE pano roof.
See this thread:
(1) Panoramic roof - Windshield misaligned! | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum - MachEforum.com

As I stated there,
This, I believe, is positive proof that the roof should NOT protrude above the windshield - and any that do are DEFECTIVE. Take a look at that thread and you'll see many mentions of the noise problem and a few about the pano roof cracking because (being raised) it is susceptible to damage by small rock hits, etc.

1616680035711.png
How does this photo prove anything? Mine looks the same and isn't loud. My previous vehicle looked the same and wasn't loud.

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Looks to me like drivers side is flush and passenger side has roof slightly raised. I'm I seeing it wrong?

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium 4X, Focus Electric
Country flag
It actually looks like the passenger side windshield may be set too deep. If the roof were set too high, you'd think it would have a mating issue with the bodywork (which does not seem to be the case from this pic). I've actually thought the issue with most pictures I've seen was the windshield being seated incorrectly - pushed in too far/unevenly.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wow, I did the fix today and the results are nothing short of stunning. I used .25" (USA Sealing, purchased from McMasterCarr) Neoprene Sponge Cord. Thank you @JSW!

After several difficult attempts, by different methods, I remembered the Tesla guy saying to use dish soap with a bit of water. That did the trick. I was able to just push it in guided by my thumbnail, which is a bit sore now. But, it just dropped right into place. I would say about 60% to 80% improvement for my car, which was not terrible to begin with. Wind noise was pronounced, just not as loud as others have reported. A bit of wind noise remains if you listen for it, but now road / tire noise is dominant.

One possible metric might be if we can find a tone or noise source that we can all play in a "sort of" calibrated way? So, just turn it up, watching the radio volume numbers until the sound matches or just masks the wind / road noise. Not sure if android auto and/or car play on different devices would allow for that kind of "gross" calibration between users?
Please provide a link to the product you used.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Info about types of foam cord: about foam

McMasterCarr catalog page

With shipping, it is certainly not the least expensive, but McMaster-Carr is an industrial supplier, so most if not all of the time, quality is expected.

I went to 1/4" based on JSW's original posts. For sure, dish soap is needed, but then I found installation easy. So far so good, it has not come out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 10.19.04 AM
Ford Mustang Mach-E Roof Wind Noise *Fixed* Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 10.17.42 AM

Last edited: