RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
I think it's a nice looking car. I prefer the Y, but I'm biased because I own a Y. I like the wheels a lot; very nice factory wheels. I like the red better than the red on my Y. I wish the Y red was metallic.

On the negative side, that is a tiny brake rotor. That seems to be a 10" rotor--I compared the rotor to the 19" rim--on a car that weighs 600 pounds more than the Y. (Which has 12" rotors.) I'd be a bit worried about overall driving dynamics if that's all they cared to spend on the brakes. What else did Ford short? 225 wide tires? Well, that's one way they're increasing their range and keeping costs down, but at the cost of driving dynamics. The tires have 55 pounds lower load capacity than the 104 rated tires on the 19" Y tires. That'll be a 100 pound reduction for the rear axle weight rating and a 200 pound penalty on GVWR compared to the Y--on top of being 600 pounds heavier to begin with. (I know 55x4=220, but there's a 10% penalty for P tires.) I guess we can already assume limited tow capacity. Maybe 1500 pounds at the most? I would have guessed Ford would go with a load rating for the tires of 107 as heavy as the Mach-e is. Maybe they'll have a tow package with higher load rated tires.

I don't want to sound all negative here. I like the Mach-e a lot and think there is a lot of potential there. I really want Ford to knock it out of the ball park with the Mach-e. Good for competition, good for the planet. Those brakes and tires concern me though. I'm considering dropping down to 245 wide tires to get better range on wet roads but I'm concerned that 245 might be too narrow on a 4400 pound car...
Not sure where you are getting your information from. The base variant has 18" front/ 17" rear rotors and the GT has 19" front and rear rotors. Does the model y really have 12" rotors? Jesus that's tiny, the Mach e will objectively have much better stopping distance. Tesla really cheeped out on the foundation brakes huh. Regarding tire size, the GT variant is going to have wider tires to support the performance/dynamics requirements. Ford hasn't officially released curb weight so again not sure where your numbers are coming from. The heaviest variant is most likely a fully spec'd GT which will have wider tires. You are really comparing apples to oranges (some unknown theoretical worst case curb weight with tires that wont be offered on that variant.). The brakes shouldn't concern you as they will have superior stopping power.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
That's my color exterior, and I am still happy with it, but I am not a fan of that interior color. I usually like a lighter interior - my Escape has the light tan leather now, but something about that Space White looks too light to me, and I am going to go with the black. My wife's 2017 Energi (she has a 2019 now) had that really light interior and it really showed any scuffs or marks from clothes. Newer jeans would leave some of their blue on the seats. She has the black interior in her 2019, and I like it a lot better even though I thought I wouldn't.

Definitely NOT cool showing someone's personal stuff in the car.

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
That's my color exterior, and I am still happy with it, but I am not a fan of that interior color. I usually like a lighter interior - my Escape has the light tan leather now, but something about that Space White looks too light to me, and I am going to go with the black. My wife's 2017 Energy (she has a 2019 now) had that really light interior and it really showed any scuffs or marks from clothes. Newer jeans would leave some of their blue on the seats. She has the black interior in her 2019, and I like it a lot better even though I thought I wouldn't.
This is my struggle too. I'm wanting the light interior, but worried about pairing it with the Rapid Red. So I was thinking Infinite Blue with light grey interior...... but I really like the Rapid Red, but not really liking the black interior vs. the light..... gaaaa

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Nice! I wonder if I can convince Ford not to install that front plate holder. ?
Those are generally installed by the dealer. Let them know ahead of time that you don't want it installed, and they should be happy not to do it.

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
My wife's 2017 Energi (she has a 2019 now) had that really light interior and it really showed any scuffs or marks from clothes. Newer jeans would leave some of their blue on the seats. She has the black interior in her 2019, and I like it a lot better even though I thought I wouldn't.
That's my big concern. I live in NC and I'd like the lighter interior (plus it just looks better), but I'm worried about how it'd hold up over time. Any blemish on it is gonna stand out.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Regarding tire size, the GT variant is going to have wider tires to support the performance/dynamics requirements. Ford hasn't officially released curb weight so again not sure where your numbers are coming from. The heaviest variant is most likely a fully spec'd GT which will have wider tires. You are really comparing apples to oranges (some unknown theoretical worst case curb weight with tires that wont be offered on that variant.). The brakes shouldn't concern you as they will have superior stopping power.
Here are the weights and tire widths of various EVs that are close in size or mass.

Tesla Model Y weight ~4400lbs / tires 255
Jaguar I-PACE weight ~4700lbs / tires 245
Tesla Model S weight ~4900lbs / tires 245
Tesla Model X weight ~5400lbs / tires 265 front-275 rear
Audi e-tron weight ~5700lbs / tires 255

With 99kWh of battery pack mass, the Mustang Mach-E will likely be between 4900-5300lbs. Being that heavy, the 225 wide tires on the non-GT are comically skinny and there are some areas of concern. Even 235 width tires on the GT are relatively narrow compared to its peers.

Braking distance - 2.5 tons of weight means it'll likely take awhile to stop.
Cornering - lateral grip will be less than ideal going around corners.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here are the weights and tire widths of various EVs that are close in size or mass.

With 99kWh of battery pack mass, the Mustang Mach-E will likely be between 4900-5300lbs. Being that heavy, the 225 wide tires on the non-GT are comically skinny and there are some areas of concern. Even 235 width tires on the GT are relatively narrow compared to its peers.

Braking distance - 2.5 tons of weight means it'll likely take awhile to stop.
Cornering - lateral grip will be less than ideal going around corners.
Estimated for the MME if it helps.
Standard Range: RWD 4,394 lbs and AWD 4,587 lbs
Extended Range: RWD 4,727 lbs and AWD 4,920lbs

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
That giant dial at the bottom of the screen really stands out even more when the screen is off. I wish they had just put it on the dash somewhere.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Estimated for the MME if it helps.
Standard Range: RWD 4,394 lbs and AWD 4,587 lbs
Extended Range: RWD 4,727 lbs and AWD 4,920lbs
Yeah, thanks. That's good to see the estimated weight ranges . You gotta figure the GT is gonna be over 5000lbs.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
That giant dial at the bottom of the screen really stands out even more when the screen is off. I wish they had just put it on the dash somewhere.
It's a capacitive "wheel," it is activating the touchscreen so it has to be on the screen.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It's a capacitive "wheel," it is activating the touchscreen so it has to be on the screen.
No. It's capacitive because once they decided to put it within the display, this became the most elegant way to implement the designer's intent.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
mamejunkie said:
Does the driver wash his/her hands? The 1st interior pict shows finger prints all over the central monitor.
Send us a photo of your MME touch screen after your first week of usage. Don't clean the screen before sharing those photos. :)
Well, now I can't stop wondering why there are so many swipe up/down prints in the center of the screen.....navigation? So, thanks for that.... I've got other things to do..... ?

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Not sure where you are getting your information from. The base variant has 18" front/ 17" rear rotors and the GT has 19" front and rear rotors. Does the model y really have 12" rotors? Jesus that's tiny, the Mach e will objectively have much better stopping distance. Tesla really cheeped out on the foundation brakes huh. Regarding tire size, the GT variant is going to have wider tires to support the performance/dynamics requirements. Ford hasn't officially released curb weight so again not sure where your numbers are coming from. The heaviest variant is most likely a fully spec'd GT which will have wider tires. You are really comparing apples to oranges (some unknown theoretical worst case curb weight with tires that wont be offered on that variant.). The brakes shouldn't concern you as they will have superior stopping power.
You are confusing rotor and rim size. Seriously, you are joking, right? 12" rotors tiny? Come on, you're pulling my leg. Nobody is that... OK, do you know anything at all about cars??? BTW, I'm not comparing apples to oranges. The base Y has 12" rotors with 255 wide tires with a load rating of 104, that Mach-e in the pictures above has 10" rotors and 225 wide tires with a load rating of 103. If you think that those brakes and those tires will provide superior stopping power you are sadly mistaken.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag

An addition to your table: The Model Y Performance tires are 255 front/275 rear.
Sponsored