Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CA Rte 1
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
I knew I would likely get to this point. I had done a bit of research prior to my order, along with a spreadsheet showing the cost compared to Hybrids and ICE vehicles. It all seemed to pencil out. Once I firgured out I could charge at home I placed my order for a 2022 CR1 AWD in Ice Blue Metalic. I also purchased a 40amp L2 charger. I have continued researching and adding to my spreadsheet, now not so sure it still pencils out. :(

I live in San Diego County with $4.15/gal gas. If I pay $16/month I can get electricity at $.10/kwh from 12am-6am M-F. I drive 140miles per day round trip for work, and have to leave my house by 5:30 am to be to work on time. Which means I would only have 5-1/2hrs of the cheapest rates to charge. Will that be enough time to charge it? Will the savings offset the higher cost of the MME compared to a $30k hybrid at 40mpg? (But damn the 40mpg hybrids are ugly)
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I knew I would likely get to this point. I had done a bit of research prior to my order, along with a spreadsheet showing the cost compared to Hybrids and ICE vehicles. It all seemed to pencil out. Once I firgured out I could charge at home I placed my order for a 2022 CR1 AWD in Ice Blue Metalic. I also purchased a 40amp L2 charger. I have continued researching and adding to my spreadsheet, now not so sure it still pencils out. :(

I live in San Diego County with $4.15/gal gas. If I pay $16/month I can get electricity at $.10/kwh from 12am-6am M-F. I drive 140miles per day round trip for work, and have to leave my house by 5:30 am to be to work on time. Which means I would only have 5-1/2hrs of the cheapest rates to charge. Will that be enough time to charge it? Will the savings offset the higher cost of the MME compared to a $30k hybrid at 40mpg? (But damn the 40mpg hybrids are ugly)
Doing your math quick and dirty in my head, your 40a L2 charger should just clear 140 miles of charge per day with a little room to spare at 5.5 hours of available charging time. Edited to add: This answer would have been different if you weren't in California. For example, 140 miles of commuting for me now in Virginia, where temps are 20-8 degrees F, would be the majority of my battery and probably wouldn't fit under 5.5 hours. However, in your warmer climate, 140 miles is much less of a percentage of your battery, so you should be golden.

Regardless of the savings offset, I damned well guarantee you that you'll have infinitely more fun driving an MME at 90mpge than you will with a 40mpg hybrid. Hands down. Or foot, rather.

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I knew I would likely get to this point. I had done a bit of research prior to my order, along with a spreadsheet showing the cost compared to Hybrids and ICE vehicles. It all seemed to pencil out. Once I figured out I could charge at home I placed my order for a 2022 CR1 AWD in Ice Blue Metallic. I also purchased a 40amp L2 charger. I have continued researching and adding to my spreadsheet, now not so sure it still pencils out. :(

That should be just about enough time. My 40amp L2 charger (on 50 amp circuit) adds about 10%-11% to the extended range battery per hour (when charging to 90% or less SOC).

Charging between 90% to 100% takes 1.5 to 2 hours due to the slower charging speeds (car ramps down the speed as the battery gets full). But since you should only charge to 90% for daily driving that won't be an issue.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I would suggest you'll have more second guessing when someone else takes the car you ordered and the dealer sells it for $5000+ more than your purchase price.

Get the Mach-e. I love mine! Get an EVSE that will charge up your car in 5 hours.

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
I agree that the MME will be more enjoyable drive than a hybrid at 40 mpg. My math suggests that with 20 workdays you will spend $100 to drive the MME versus the hybrid at $290 on a monthly basis. That $190 would presumably be greater than the depreciation on the two vehicles although without a picture of what resale values of an MME in five years might be it is hard to say if the math will help you answer this question. The convenience of not having to go to a gas station once a week is probably also worth something.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
As a reminder, in CA you get something like $10k or $11k in tax credits plus another $1k off at time of purchase.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You can't justify a $30k difference in savings. The Mach-E is much more fun to drive than any hybrid.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
https://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/
Plug in your info and average out that electricity rate and see what it comes out too. Make sure to add in the extra monthly fee.
My Mach E came out to 35k after rebates so it wasn’t too hard to justify the switch (ignoring the 16k in solar panels… lol)

Last edited:

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
You can't justify a $30k difference in savings. The Mach-E is much more fun to drive than any hybrid.
I suspect that's where I get stuck in this question. If maximum savings was your objective then buying any new car is probably not the optimal path. I don't think we can put a dollar amount on how much more you will enjoy the Mach-E over those hybrid offerings.

There has been good info provided here on the charging times. I'd note that even if you had to spill over say 30 minutes into the higher rate it won't change that much on your total cost.

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
As a reminder, in CA you get something like $10k or $11k in tax credits plus another $1k off at time of purchase.
Current numbers in CA:

$7500 federal tax credit
$2000 CA CVRP (this is a rebate...not a tax credit). If you previously received this rebate on any car after 12/2019, you can't get it again.
$750 at time of purchase funded from electric companies. (This dropped from $1K in November)

OP
OP

Mtb-Polock

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CA Rte 1
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Do you mean $10k when combined with federal?
$7500 federal and $2000 California.
Sponsored