krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
As a reminder, in CA you get something like $10k or $11k in tax credits plus another $1k off at time of purchase.
Not sure what you mean by 10 to 11k?
Sponsored

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
Any chance for charging at work? Even if it were 120v plug in a garage to give you a little more cushion?

robbinbadams

First Name
Robbin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I suspect that's where I get stuck in this question. If maximum savings was your objective then buying any new car is probably not the optimal path. I don't think we can put a dollar amount on how much more you will enjoy the Mach-E over those hybrid offerings.

There has been good info provided here on the charging times. I'd note that even if you had to spill over say 30 minutes into the higher rate it won't change that much on your total cost.
Any chance for charging at work? Even if it were 120v plug in a garage to give you a little more cushion?
why do people think the company they work for should pay for charging their ev? Have they ever expected their company to pay for their gas? It seems like just because you can plug in it’s ok to steal from the company you work for.

MachEZRt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CRT1 AWD (Ordered), 21 MME SR Select
Country flag
why do people think the company they work for should pay for charging their ev? Have they ever expected their company to pay for their gas? It seems like just because you can plug in it’s ok to steal from the company you work for.
Wow. Our company has level 2 chargers that we share. Some choose to not deal with the rotation of the Level 2 charging cables so they use 120v outlets available in the garage as well. In plain sight. Approved by the company. Who said anything about stealing? If a 120v plug is available, ask your company if it’s ok to use it…

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
Many companies offer charging as an employee benefit. And in some places there's govt incentives for them to do so. That said, I wouldn't suggest plugging in without asking if there's not an established policy. Of course if the company had an issue, they'd just ask you to stop.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
It should still easily pencil out. I’m honestly not trying to be a jerk with this comment but if the dollars and cents is that high of a priority, there are other EVs that are cheaper than the Mach E - both used and new. You could save a ton by buying a used Prius for 12k. You’re paying for the experience of driving an EV, particularly a Mach E. Compared to all the cars I’ve driven, the Mach E is a luxury vehicle and, personally, I view the premium price accordingly.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Another point to add is even if you don't 'fully' top off some nights of charging, you could always make it up on non-working days where you aren't driving 140 miles that day.

Say you have 280 miles of range now, you only charge 1 night to 260 miles. That's enough to get to work/back and full charging again correctly will get you back to 260 miles still. Repeat and maybe by Saturday, you can charge past 6am since weekends have that rate till 2pm (I'm familiar with EV-TOU-5).

I'm assuming you have solar as well so if you wanted, you can also just charge during the day using L1 charging (to not exceed your solar generation).

I was debating between buying some dual EV charger when we get 2 EVs, but with my much shorter commute than you, I could always just skip a day or two charging between cars and work from home means not having to drive much at all luckily so can just top off on those days 1 car doesn't charge.

OP
OP

Mtb-Polock

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CA Rte 1
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
https://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/
Plug in your info and average out that electricity rate and see what it comes out too. Make sure to add in the extra monthly fee.
My Mach E came out to 35k after rebates so it wasn’t too hard to justify the switch (ignoring the 16k in solar panels… lol)
My browsers won’t let me connect to the site, they say it is not configured correctly and open for theft of information.

I have solar already but my electric bill is basically balanced out for the year. I am hoping to minimize the hit my MME makes.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
My browsers won’t let me connect to the site, they say it is not configured correctly and open for theft of information.

I have solar already but my electric bill is basically balanced out for the year. I am hoping to minimize the hit my MME makes.
Must be a temp issue with the certificates. The website is hosted on godaddy and the certificate mismatch also comes from godaddy. You can Google EV vs gas calculator for a different site or try again later. There’s no personal info to steal so personally I’d just bypass the warning.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The certificate is from gridserver.com, and the site is chooseev.com. They are both GoDaddy sites, gridserver.com was created in 2003 (and has no site), and chooseev.com was created in 2016.

OP
OP

Mtb-Polock

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future CA Rte 1
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Another point to add is even if you don't 'fully' top off some nights of charging, you could always make it up on non-working days where you aren't driving 140 miles that day.

Say you have 280 miles of range now, you only charge 1 night to 260 miles. That's enough to get to work/back and full charging again correctly will get you back to 260 miles still. Repeat and maybe by Saturday, you can charge past 6am since weekends have that rate till 2pm (I'm familiar with EV-TOU-5).

I'm assuming you have solar as well so if you wanted, you can also just charge during the day using L1 charging (to not exceed your solar generation).

I was debating between buying some dual EV charger when we get 2 EVs, but with my much shorter commute than you, I could always just skip a day or two charging between cars and work from home means not having to drive much at all luckily so can just top off on those days 1 car doesn't charge.
Yes I do have solar and basically balance out for the year, $100/year. Seeing TOU-5 at $.66 for summer On Peak is scary but I guess my solar should cover that.

What else should I be considering?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I agree with others who have pointed out that you can probably never make up a $30k difference in the purchase price. The MME is so much fun to drive. It is my favorite car of all time, and I have had a lot of cars.

A 40 Amp charger with a 10% loss will add about 8.6 kWh to your battery every hour. I am assuming your commute driving efficiency will be 3.18 miles/kWh, which will use about 44 kWh of your battery. You should be able to replace the battery used during your commute in: 44/8.6 = 5.12 hours.

Depending on outside temperatures, rain, etc., you might have days when you use more than 44 kWh of your battery, and conversely you may have days when you use less than 44 kWh of your battery. Maybe you can make it up on the weekend, or do a little high cost charging.
Sponsored